The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

Off all songs to hear on the radio, today I heard Need Your Loving Tonight, from the Game. Brought back memories.

Here's a live version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7Dq4aVag0

Wasn't a big fan of that song first time I heard it, but once I could look back on it with knowledge of what came after, and was able to understand their change in musical direction, I realized...

That's another one of John's best songs. And the little bridge bit ("and if I see you with another guy"): ear worm of the century.

"I'll eat my heart out cuz I love - love - love - love her!"'

:7up:

John really perfected the three minute pop song with that one. I only wish side two of The Game could've been as compelling as side one. At least it has one of my top ten favs: Save Me.

Pretty tough to measure up to the hitlist that is Side A. I always liked the first three tracks on Side B, though.

Off all songs to hear on the radio, today I heard Need Your Loving Tonight, from the Game. Brought back memories.

Here's a live version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7Dq4aVag0

Wasn't a big fan of that song first time I heard it, but once I could look back on it with knowledge of what came after, and was able to understand their change in musical direction, I realized...

That's another one of John's best songs. And the little bridge bit ("and if I see you with another guy"): ear worm of the century.

"I'll eat my heart out cuz I love - love - love - love her!"'

:7up:

John really perfected the three minute pop song with that one. I only wish side two of The Game could've been as compelling as side one. At least it has one of my top ten favs: Save Me.

Pretty tough to measure up to the hitlist that is Side A. I always liked the first three tracks on Side B, though.

In my humble opinion, it's probably their most lackluster side of music.

Rock It sounds like it wants to be the Cars, but forgets to be an interesting song in it's efforts to get the sound right, enjoyable, but a tad boring.

Don't Try Suicide is either missing a key element (where Rock It's mix was cluttered, this one is just too empty, there's all this unused space, it's kind of uncomfortable) or is just being played at the wrong speed. I've found this song is much more enjoyable at 45rmp.

Sail Away Sweet Sister is a true hidden gem on the record. It could due to be a little longer, but it's a beautiful piece with a beautiful performance by all members involved, especially Freddie's little interlude in the middle. One of side 2's big saving graces.

Coming Soon is by far my least favorite Queen song. I much prefer Body Language to this. Coming Soon has an intriguing title that it's content just doesn't live up to. The lyrics are a bit dull by Queen's standards, and the music is incredibly by the numbers for them. In all their excitement to try to sound New Wave, they forgot to write a good piece of music for this one, meticulously streamlining their sound so that they could be pretty much any other rock and roll band in that stage of the whole New Wave movement. Billy Joel is proof you can shift into the New Wave and still write your best music, and even Need Your Loving shows this on side one, but here Queen seem committed to following the precepts of the trend to the letter and forgoing their usual songwriting sensibilities. Thank goodness there's only one of these in their catalogue.

Then there's Save Me, one of my all time favs. It really does save side two from complete mediocrity (though not from being, as I mentioned, generally lackluster). The song is perfectly constructed, expertly performed, and conveys the realest sense of heartbreak which can possibly be conveyed by a power ballad (that is to say, it could bring any young romantic to tears in a heartbeat, and yet it feels realer than that). The two solos in this songs are also wonderful, and I've always loved that Brian opted to play his own piano on this one, keeping it simple in the best way, but not inhibiting the power of the song itself.

I can understand the love for any of these songs by other fans, but for me, this is Queen at their least Queeny. Not to say it's bad, but being Queen I'm going to have strong feelings about exactly how good it is.

• Like 1

Brian's guitar and contributions to Queen are, in part, what made the band so unique and legendary

But in the case of Sail Away Sweet Sister, I feel that the song would have incredible had Freddie sang the entire thing ... I know Brian wrote it and it's for a sister he never had, yada yada yada, but his voice ruins the vibe

A man has got to know his limitations

It would have been classic Queen given the Freddie treatment .. It's just not as good as it could have been - not nearly

• Like 1

Brian's guitar and contributions to Queen are, in part, what made the band so unique and legendary

But in the case of Sail Away Sweet Sister, I feel that the song would have incredible had Freddie sang the entire thing ... I know Brian wrote it and it's for a sister he never had, yada yada yada, but his voice ruins the vibe

It would have been classic Queen given the Freddie treatment .. It's just not as good as it could have been - not nearly

I was always more impressed with the bridge when I thought brian had sung it himself. Was actually disappointed to learn that it was Freddie there doing the fun falsetto gymnastics. In hindsight, yeah, Fred would've done it better. But in the same way, I've always felt Brian should've sung Dear Friends himself. I felt like it was perfect for his voice whereas freddie's had just a little too much bravado for that lullaby of a tune, still beautiful, that's just nitpicking.

• Like 1

I was always more impressed with the bridge when I thought brian had sung it himself. Was actually disappointed to learn that it was Freddie there doing the fun falsetto gymnastics. In hindsight, yeah, Fred would've done it better. But in the same way, I've always felt Brian should've sung Dear Friends himself. I felt like it was perfect for his voice whereas freddie's had just a little too much bravado for that lullaby of a tune, still beautiful, that's just nitpicking.

Interesting take on Dear Friends EP

All I can say about that is that Dear Friends - as it is - is an absolute perfect minute and a half ( or so ), and no matter what, every time I hear it I stop what I;m doing and feel that surge of tears welling up ..

I'm glad Freddie sang that one

• Like 1

I haven't heard this in ages, but I still love it. EP is right about the sparseness of the production on the Game album, though. Queen's always had a very full sound, but it's missing on the Game.

• Like 1

I never knew that GnR covered a bit of "Sail Away...", or the Godfather them for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rspf7KenvC0

Nice fishnet shirt, Axl. Even perfect that it's tied...

There are moments in that Godfather Theme that Slash's genius really comes out

On the other hand, Axl is the antithesis of Freddie here ... Freddie, in all his glorious bravado, was never anything but natural and lovable ... Axl just comes across as an empty dbag

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Axl doesn't come close to Geddy in terms of rockin' the knot

800df2e55bffeea2463127c5e0adf4b2.jpg

:LOL:

They must just lose it when they see those pics.

"Nice shirt, Ged."

"Nice pants, Alex."

• Like 2

Don't Try Suicide is either missing a key element (where Rock It's mix was cluttered, this one is just too empty, there's all this unused space, it's kind of uncomfortable) or is just being played at the wrong speed. I've found this song is much more enjoyable at 45rmp.

Coming Soon is by far my least favorite Queen song. I much prefer Body Language to this.

Coming Soon is one of my faves from this album!

I bought The Game when it came out (grade 7), having only previously heard ANatO (loved it), and thoroughly enjoyed it. The songs were to-the-point and quite catchy, and the damn thing sounded good on my crappy stereo. After playing this to death, I got Sheer Heart Attack and then everything else (including the blindingly yellow Flash Gordon soundtrack).

I returned Hot Space to the record store. I didn't like it enough to want to keep it, and got my 6.97 back and promptly bought Blondie's equally dismal Autoamerican album.

I like the drive of Coming Soon, and the simple but effective chugging rhythm that pushes the song along. I generally liked Roger Taylor's songs; Sheer Heart Attack being another one I really enjoy - and is sort of in that same simple 3-chord chugging 8th note thing.

Sure, Coming Soon (or any of The Game) is no "Prophet Song", but it's a fun little stripped down rock romp, somewhat akin to Crazy Little Thing: not a huge musical challenge, just a fun little ditty that makes you feel good. But as a Queen fan, I can see your point about it seeming "lackluster". At the time it seemed kind of fresh and interesting.

Having played Don't Try Suicide at 45 rpm, I am fully in agreement with your first point above. :cheers:

ps: I read somewhere that they chose Mack to produce this record because of the drum sounds he managed to get on 'Give Us a Wink' by Sweet. Fun fact? Stupid tidbit?

• Like 3

ps: I read somewhere that they chose Mack to produce this record because of the drum sounds he managed to get on 'Give Us a Wink' by Sweet. Fun fact? Stupid tidbit?

"I'm gonna use my stack...It's gotta be Mack"

• Like 2

Coming Soon is by far my least favorite Queen song. I much prefer Body Language to this.

I bought The Game when it came out (grade 7), having only previously heard ANatO (loved it), and thoroughly enjoyed it. The songs were to-the-point and quite catchy, and the damn thing sounded good on my crappy stereo. After playing this to death, I got Sheer Heart Attack and then everything else (including the blindingly yellow Flash Gordon soundtrack).

I returned Hot Space to the record store. I didn't like it enough to want to keep it, and got my 6.97 back and promptly bought Blondie's equally dismal Autoamerican album.

I like the drive of Coming Soon, and the simple but effective chugging rhythm that pushes the song along. I generally liked Roger Taylor's songs; Sheer Heart Attack being another one I really enjoy - and is sort of in that same simple 3-chord chugging 8th note thing.

Sure, Coming Soon (or any of The Game) is no "Prophet Song", but it's a fun little stripped down rock romp, somewhat akin to Crazy Little Thing: not a huge musical challenge, just a fun little ditty that makes you feel good. But as a Queen fan, I can see your point about it seeming "lackluster". At the time it seemed kind of fresh and interesting.

Having played Don't Try Suicide at 45 rpm, I am fully in agreement with your first point above. :cheers:

Yeah, like I said, I totally understand how other fans can perceive it totally differently and love it. I'm not even saying I hate it. I've heard many worse songs and, after all, it's still Queen. But as a fan with a very clear idea of what I believe makes Queen so special to me, Coming Soon (and that side in general) is the one place where they've really let me down. So I tend to be overly critical of it, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, like I said, I totally understand how other fans can perceive it totally differently and love it. I'm not even saying I hate it. I've heard many worse songs and, after all, it's still Queen. But as a fan with a very clear idea of what I believe makes Queen so special to me, Coming Soon (and that side in general) is the one place where they've really let me down. So I tend to be overly critical of it, lol.

If you haven't already, you should check out "Fun In Space", Taylor's 1st solo album. It rocks harder than Hot Space!

There is no reason to bother with the Flash G soundtrack, unless you like hearing dated synth music and snippets of bad dialogue.

"Klytus I'm bored...dispatch warrior Ajax!"

ynzq69n12z7pcwy7l9tt.jpg

A little RT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvYH-qrqnI

Fun fact/stupid thing: Pink Floyd were DeLorentis' first choice to do the soundtrack. He hadn't even heard of Queen, supposedly asking, "Who are the Queens?" when they were suggested to him.

Edited by vaportrailer

If you haven't already, you should check out "Fun In Space", Taylor's 1st solo album. It rocks harder than Hot Space!

Wow. Quite an achievement. :LOL:
  • Like 2

Fun In Space is one helluva record.

It's no Hot Space, for with Hot Space, there can be only one. Bless it's cotton disco-rock socks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQAb2SnhbU

:facepalm:

Hard to believe it goes downhill from there.

Hellfire! Those hot & spacey Arif Mardin horns!!!! Get in! LOVE IT!

POWER!

POWER!!

POWER!!!

POWER!!!!

• Like 3

It's no Hot Space, for with Hot Space, there can be only one. Bless it's cotton disco-rock socks.

POWER!

POWER!!

POWER!!!

POWER!!!!

Sorry, but that music is just too gay for my taste. This coming from a fan of Abba, Cole Porter and MGM musicals, mind you.

POWER!

POWER!!

POWER!!!

POWER!!!!

Sorry, but that music is just too gay for my taste. This coming from a fan of Abba, Cole Porter and MGM musicals, mind you.

Maybe this is part of the reason that song doesn't turn me off. "Gay" has very different music implications to me than what is in Staying Power, or maybe it doesn't really seem any gayer to me than Freddie's many theatricalities on every album before this. When I hear Staying Power, my first thought is that it sounds like MJ, in a good way. It's just well done 80s dance and funk and r&b put together. I don't get a significant gay connotation out of it.

Also, when people say all of Hot Space sounds like that, they're very wrong. Only the first four songs have that vibe to them. The rest are much closer to AOR or classic Queen fare, Life Is Real being one of their most gorgeous ballads.

POWER!

POWER!!

POWER!!!

POWER!!!!

Maybe this is part of the reason that song doesn't turn me off. "Gay" has very different music implications to me than what is in Staying Power, or maybe it doesn't really seem any gayer to me than Freddie's many theatricalities on every album before this. When I hear Staying Power, my first thought is that it sounds like MJ, in a good way. It's just well done 80s dance and funk and r&b put together. I don't get a significant gay connotation out of it.

Also, when people say all of Hot Space sounds like that, they're very wrong. Only the first four songs have that vibe to them. The rest are much closer to AOR or classic Queen fare, Life Is Real being one of their most gorgeous ballads.

You know how to shake that thing

We'll work it, work it , work it

I've got fire down below

I'm just a regular dynamo

IS IT HOT IN HERE?

• Like 2

Sex, drugs, and dance music!

Proof that some of the most inventive and entrancing music comes out of strife. Hot Space is a great album, almost their bravest release.

POWER!

POWER!!

POWER!!!

POWER!!!!

You know how to shake that thing

We'll work it, work it , work it

I've got fire down below

I'm just a regular dynamo

IS IT HOT IN HERE?

I take it back. That's not gay at all.