The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

My 2 kids are hooked on Hungarian Rhapsody, the live document of the Budapest '86 gig. The double live album ROCKS! It's completely nuts, rough in parts(all the better for it) & Freddie brings a newbie crowd along like the master he was.
  • Like 3

I haven't delved too deep into their live output yet, contenting myself with YouTube, delux album bonus tracks, and the two box sets they released these past two years of the Rainbow and Hammersmith Odeon gigs of the mid 70s. I'm hoping they continue the trend and release a box this year for the 1976 free Hyde Park concert with the incredible setlist and 200,000 people in attendance (no encore though). Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Speaking of live stuff, I just thought of a great question! What do you think was Queen's greatest show/set opener, or your favorite if you prefer. I don't have an exact idea of all the various openers they used, but the big ones I do know of are:

Father To Son

Ogre Battle (pretty sure)

Now I'm Here

We Will Rock You (fast version, once again pretty sure)

Tie Your Mother Down

One Vision

My fav must be between Now I'm Here and One Vision, maybe toss in Tie Your Mother Down.

• Like 1

Speaking of live stuff, I just thought of a great question! What do you think was Queen's greatest show/set opener, or your favorite if you prefer. I don't have an exact idea of all the various openers they used, but the big ones I do know of are:

Father To Son

Ogre Battle (pretty sure)

Now I'm Here

We Will Rock You (fast version, once again pretty sure)

Tie Your Mother Down

One Vision

My fav must be between Now I'm Here and One Vision, maybe toss in Tie Your Mother Down.

The Hero, from the Hot Space tour. Love it!

• Like 2

Today I graduated High School. Today I completed my first listen through of Queen's final true studio album thus completing my journey through Queen's history via albums (minus flash) which I began just over four years ago the summer before I started high school. Today I listened to Made In Heaven for the first time, and it couldn't be better titled, better timed, better executed, better really. I'm not saying it's my new favorite Queen album, ANATO is so much to live up to, but from the, the, well the thing I just can't describe accurately about It's A Beautiful Day, straight through all twenty two minutes of the mysterious Track 13, "Untitled," no album could better reflect on a glorious, majestic, magical period of time and look to the birth of a new one. I will do a more critical analytical review later, maybe in a day or two, maybe next week, maybe at the end of the summer before I head off to college, but for the moment It's a Beautiful record, and it certainly was MADE IN HEAVEN.
  • Like 5

I think I've finally decided on my ranking of Queen through Innuendo, minus Flash. Here it is.

1.A Night At The Opera

2.Queen II

3.News Of The World

4.Sheer Heart Attack

5.The Miracle

6.Innuendo (despite some lesser quality and consistency, beats out all the rest based on super-enhanced sentimental value of living with it through the most roller-coaster like part of high school; loses to the ones above based on lack of being approximately perfect track by track and production wise)

7.A Day At The Races

8.A Kind Of Magic

9.Queen

10.The Works

11.Jazz

12.The Game

13.Hot Space (still underrated!)

I think I've finally decided on my ranking of Queen through Innuendo, minus Flash. Here it is.

1.A Night At The Opera

2.Queen II

3.News Of The World

4.Sheer Heart Attack

5.The Miracle

6.Innuendo (despite some lesser quality and consistency, beats out all the rest based on super-enhanced sentimental value of living with it through the most roller-coaster like part of high school; loses to the ones above based on lack of being approximately perfect track by track and production wise)

7.A Day At The Races

8.A Kind Of Magic

9.Queen

10.The Works

11.Jazz

12.The Game

Love it. Though I would switch SHA with ANATO and Jazz with ADATR. Still thats niggling cuz they are all pretty much great.

• Like 1

1.A Night At The Opera

2.Queen II

3.News Of The World

4.Sheer Heart Attack

5.The Miracle

7.A Day At The Races

8.A Kind Of Magic

9.Queen

10.The Works

11.Jazz

12.The Game

Love it. Though I would switch SHA with ANATO and Jazz with ADATR. Still thats niggling cuz they are all pretty much great.

Thanks! Though ANATO's never ever coming off that top spot for me. Fav album of all time. They are all great though; Hot Space deserves much more love.

Now I just have to figure out where the heck to put Made In Heaven, listen to Flash Gordon, and place that one too.

Made In Heaven is just a perfect Queen album. There's nothing wrong with it, there are no criticisms for it. It's not really outstanding either, but it just perfectly presents the core magic of Queen. It really is like listening to the very spirit of Freddie in its purest form. It almost seems unfair to rank this with the rest of their discography. It's pure comfort music. If every Queen album takes you to a destination, this one takes you somewhere between Heven and home. How could any other band be my favorite after taking this journey through Queen's history and ending up here.

Just decided to listen to it again today.

• Like 1

I hate to say it (sorry Mick), but out of the three albums I've listened to so far, this one has been very hard for me to listen all the way through. I only liked one song - White Man. Teo Torriatte goes from beautiful to awful and back to beautiful.

So far, my favorite is Sheer Heart Attack.

Next up: News of the World :)

Yeah Ive always thought DATR sucked...especially compared to the two albums surrounding it.

Always liked Jazz though, Lorraine, they strip down the excesses slightly after Races. I think they kinda knew they went too far in the other direction. Up until the Game they went further back to basics and it worked.

Funny how punk seemed to change things ;)

I thought I heard some punk sounding songs on Sheer Heart Attack.

Also, I was already suspecting that they changed direction after DATR since I was wondering how We Will Rock You (on the next album) lined up with the previous album.

Gotta finish cleaning :boo hiss: first. Then...News of the World! :)

News is a killer album!!;)

My personal favorite.

Dan, I intend to give all of them another spin. Maybe next week. I became aware, as I was initially listening to Queen, that they are definitely an acquired taste, and one that most probably doesn't come in one listen.

That's a great idea. Listening to them the way you are can be a bit of an overload, as they are so eclectic. It actually took me some time as well to come around on these albums, aside from the 'hits', but they are a fun and rewarding band to listen to. Brian May is a bloody genius, and makes remarkable musical choices for solos as well as his rhythm playing. Roger Taylor is an underrated drummer, and is one of the very few that has a recognizable sound and style (my short list for that kind of thing includes Roger, Bonham, Peart, Copeland, and Phil Collins).

Freddie's talent and breadth of range is readily apparent, not to mention his charisma and showmanship. He's in my top three best rock vocalists.

Finally John Deacon's bass playing was a primary driver in my earliest interest in picking up the bass, and that was cemented after hearing Yes and Rush :)

I picked up on the genius of Brian May on the very first song on the very first album I listened to. Sorry to say, he knocked Alex out of first place for me.

Brian may is one of my top 5 guitar players.

sadly Alex isn't in there.

Mick

Who are the other four?

in order

1. Lindsey Buckinham

2. Frank Zappa

3. Brian May

4. David Gilmour

5. John Mayer

Mick

I'm no expert at all, but I am shocked that you mention Lindsey. Do you really think he's that good of a guitarist? Why? Just asking, not challenging.

He's just so unique to me. his tone is something i have never heard else where. the speed at which he can pick is fantastic. and his solo's just knock me back.

Criminally underrated player.

Writes beautiful songs too.

Mick

:goodone:
  • Like 1

Dan, I intend to give all of them another spin. Maybe next week. I became aware, as I was initially listening to Queen, that they are definitely an acquired taste, and one that most probably doesn't come in one listen.

That's a great idea. Listening to them the way you are can be a bit of an overload, as they are so eclectic. It actually took me some time as well to come around on these albums, aside from the 'hits', but they are a fun and rewarding band to listen to. Brian May is a bloody genius, and makes remarkable musical choices for solos as well as his rhythm playing. Roger Taylor is an underrated drummer, and is one of the very few that has a recognizable sound and style (my short list for that kind of thing includes Roger, Bonham, Peart, Copeland, and Phil Collins).

Freddie's talent and breadth of range is readily apparent, not to mention his charisma and showmanship. He's in my top three best rock vocalists.

Finally John Deacon's bass playing was a primary driver in my earliest interest in picking up the bass, and that was cemented after hearing Yes and Rush :)

I picked up on the genius of Brian May on the very first song on the very first album I listened to. Sorry to say, he knocked Alex out of first place for me.

Mick

Who are the other four?

in order

1. Lindsey Buckinham

2. Frank Zappa

3. Brian May

4. David Gilmour

5. John Mayer

Mick

I'm no expert at all, but I am shocked that you mention Lindsey. Do you really think he's that good of a guitarist? Why? Just asking, not challenging.

He's just so unique to me. his tone is something i have never heard else where. the speed at which he can pick is fantastic. and his solo's just knock me back.

Mick

Thank you ;)

Mick

Mick

Who are the other four?

in order

1. Lindsey Buckinham

2. Frank Zappa

3. Brian May

4. David Gilmour

5. John Mayer

Mick

Mick

Thank you ;)

Mick

:)

The thing with Lindsey is that his fuitar parts are incredibly inventive without being pointlessly excessive. The results are pure genius. The syncopated acoustic rhythm guitar on Go Your Own way comes to mind. And as you mentioned, his tone is incredible and his picking style is captivating.

• Like 1

News Of The Thread: Lindsay Buckingham has taken over discussion with his seminal and underrated guitar playing!

• Like 1

Mick

Who are the other four?

in order

1. Lindsey Buckinham

2. Frank Zappa

3. Brian May

4. David Gilmour

5. John Mayer

Mick

Mick

Thank you ;)

Mick

:)

The thing with Lindsey is that his fuitar parts are incredibly inventive without being pointlessly excessive. The results are pure genius. The syncopated acoustic rhythm guitar on Go Your Own way comes to mind. And as you mentioned, his tone is incredible and his picking style is captivating.

i don't think i've ever been bored with a Buckingham solo.

but brian may's right up there too.

see i brought it back, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Alright, let's take this somewhere...

Best Fleetwood Mac album v. Best Queen album

And go.

oh this will be interesting to me.

the best Mac album to me is tusk

Queen to me is Tougher........oh boy.

right now i'll say......Queen II

Very Different albums. but i'd have to Tusk.

just so experimental on Lindsey's end and the others are no sloughes either.

but that's taking nothing away from Queen II.

that is a BEAST of a prog Metal Album.

Orgre Battle....... :haz: :haz: :haz: .

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

For me, well you already know my answer but I'l play my own game for once.

The best Mac album that I've listened to (or maybe just the only one) is Rumors.

My fav Queen album is ANATO

Favorite album of all time vs. extremely good album by a band I'm no incredibly huge fan of...Queen wins.

But that's not a fair fight. :P

• Like 1

For me, well you already know my answer but I'l play my own game for once.

The best Mac album that I've listened to (or maybe just the only one) is Rumors.

My fav Queen album is ANATO

Favorite album of all time vs. extremely good album by a band I'm no incredibly huge fan of...Queen wins.

But that's not a fair fight. :P

i get ya.....ask me on a different day and queen could have won out.

they are indeed to of my fav bands.

Mick

• Like 1