The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Queen Yay Freddie Mercury John Deacon Brian May Brian May Rrrrrrrroger Taylor

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#21 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17613 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Liar......damn i could just loop this.

and this was from the FIRST ALBUM!!

Long live Queen

Mick

Sponsored Post

#22 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 29 August 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Liar......damn i could just loop this.

and this was from the FIRST ALBUM!!

Long live Queen

Mick

Liar's always been my fav from the debut. Perfect.

#23 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 16812 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=kzVISN05sEM

#24 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 29 August 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 28 August 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

I just can't decide where to rank The Miracle among my top Queen albums. It's definitely better than A Kind of Magic and all the records I have below that, but above it has to face off against the seventies legends, ADATR, SHA, NOTW, QII, and the unbeatable ANATO. I've had those seventies albums so much longer and have grown with them, whereas I just got The Miracle but have immediately loved it to death, unlike my first reactions to ADATR and QII (surprisingly). Decisions decisions.

Quoting myself here to say I think I've done it. I did some light mathematical examination and calculation comparing the tracks and the amounts of greatness between two albums at a time and stopped once The Miracle was found to contain any less greatness than the record it was matched up against. And my heart agrees with my head after looking at the albums this way, so its still quite subjective. My new ranking of the Queen albums I have obtained so far in my chronological approach to collecting their discography (minus Flash):

1. A Night At The Opera
2. Queen II
3. News Of The World
4. Sheer Heart Attack
5. The Miracle
6. A Day At The Races
7. A Kind Of Magic
8. Queen
9. The Works
10. Jazz
11. The Game
12. Hot Space (perhaps their least awesome, but still criminally underrated)

The Hot Space tunes they do live actually sound pretty good - Back Chat and one or two others.

#25 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 29 August 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

I just can't decide where to rank The Miracle among my top Queen albums. It's definitely better than A Kind of Magic and all the records I have below that, but above it has to face off against the seventies legends, ADATR, SHA, NOTW, QII, and the unbeatable ANATO. I've had those seventies albums so much longer and have grown with them, whereas I just got The Miracle but have immediately loved it to death, unlike my first reactions to ADATR and QII (surprisingly). Decisions decisions.

Quoting myself here to say I think I've done it. I did some light mathematical examination and calculation comparing the tracks and the amounts of greatness between two albums at a time and stopped once The Miracle was found to contain any less greatness than the record it was matched up against. And my heart agrees with my head after looking at the albums this way, so its still quite subjective. My new ranking of the Queen albums I have obtained so far in my chronological approach to collecting their discography (minus Flash):

1. A Night At The Opera
2. Queen II
3. News Of The World
4. Sheer Heart Attack
5. The Miracle
6. A Day At The Races
7. A Kind Of Magic
8. Queen
9. The Works
10. Jazz
11. The Game

The Hot Space tunes they do live actually sound pretty good - Back Chat and one or two others.

Yeah, especially Staying Power.

#26 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Brian May has probably the most unique guitar tone - there's something about that guitar, and the fact that he plays with a coin of some kind (unless that's a myth?)

#27 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 29 August 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 29 August 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

1. A Night At The Opera
2. Queen II
3. News Of The World
4. Sheer Heart Attack
5. The Miracle
6. A Day At The Races
7. A Kind Of Magic
8. Queen
9. The Works
10. Jazz
11. The Game

Yeah, especially Staying Power.

I think I now have an idea of what DVD I'm going to watch tonight . . .

#28 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

View Postgoose, on 29 August 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

Live Killers is my favorite Queen album.  Side 2 is a great example of how well Freddie interacted with the crowd.  The album also has a killer version of Spread Your Wings.
It's been an age since I listened to that album.  I'll have to add it to the stack.

#29 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 28 August 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Freddie embodied the collective magic of the band and presented it before the world
How true. He was a showman, AND a prodigious music talent. Queen's music defies category. It's everything, all at once.

#30 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

I don't know much about falsetto, but there are some musicians whose falsetto tone is just so irritating.  Mercury's is just so . . . I don't know what the word is.  Pure?  And pitch perfect.

#31 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6503 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 29 August 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

Freddie embodied the collective magic of the band and presented it before the world
How true. He was a showman, AND a prodigious music talent. Queen's music defies category. It's everything, all at once.

When I watch his performances on DVD, I almost always laugh, but it's an impressed laugh, not a mocking laugh.  An amazing presence on stage, for sure.

#32 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 29 August 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 29 August 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

When I watch his performances on DVD, I almost always laugh, but it's an impressed laugh, not a mocking laugh.  An amazing presence on stage, for sure.
Something that really impressed me about the band is how they listen to one another. Like Rush, they laugh a lot, but are always focused on the work at hand.

Back to Freddie. He could do anything he wanted to musically. Everything he chose to do, he achieved something special.

#33 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:41 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 29 August 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Brian May has probably the most unique guitar tone - there's something about that guitar, and the fact that he plays with a coin of some kind (unless that's a myth?)

No myth; he plays with a British sixpence. He mentioned it before. I actually play with a dime from time to time as emulation (though I suck at guitar).

#34 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 29 August 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 29 August 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

No myth; he plays with a British sixpence. He mentioned it before. I actually play with a dime from time to time as emulation (though I suck at guitar).
And since they don't make the sixpence anymore, the Royal Mint make them just for him :cool:

#35 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 16812 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

#36 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 16812 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

"Brian's rather unusual choice of guitar pick is a coin - an english sixpence, which is a small circular coin with a serrated edge. He chose to use the sixpence as a pick because he finds plastic plectrums too flexible. He holds the coin very lightly and occasionally uses its serrated edge against the strings to produce a rasp. For quiter sections, Brian will often pick the strings with his fingers and only use the coin for the louder sections where more attack is required. For his first solo tour, Brian actually had some sixpence sized coins specially minted and these were on sale during the tour".

#37 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

So what's everyone's favorite Queen song?

I'm gonna go ahead and be beyond predictable here, but nothing can top Bohemian Rhapsody for me, and I'll never get tired of it. However, I love to death almost everything they've ever recorded.

#38 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17613 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

I'm gonna with a few cause i can't pick 1, lol

Liar
The Lap of the God.......Revisited
Spread your Wings
Bohemian Rhapsody
Hammer to Fall
kThe Dreamer's Ball
The Millionaire Waltz
All Dead All Dead
Somebody to Love
The Prophet Song
Teo Torriatte
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
Innuendo
The Show Must go On.

I could keep going really, lol

Mick

#39 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

I also can't pick just one :

Keep Yourself Alive
Liar
Son and Daughter
White Queen (As it Began) (particularly the Live at the Rainbow 74 version)
Ogre Battle
Brighton Rock
In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited
Death On Two Legs
The Prophet's Song
Bohemian Rhapsody
Tie Your Mother Down
The Millionaire Waltz
It's Late
Dragon Attack
Play the Game
Hammer to Fall
One Vision (played live)

probably loads more...

#40 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5369 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

As long as we're listing, here's my top ten (and FYI, it took me FOREVER to make a decision on this):

Bohemian Rhapsody
Killer Queen
My Melancholy Blues
You're My Best Friend
Nevermore (when I first heard it it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever directly experienced)
Somebody To Love (though this goes head to head with Boh-Rhap if you bring up the live bonus track from the deluxe version of ADATR)
The Show Must Go On
Breakthru
Don't Stop Me Now
Save Me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Queen, Yay, Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Brian May Brian May, Rrrrrrrroger Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users