The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

Have you guys heard any of Roger's solo albums? They are so good. And, of course, he did, in fact, front his own band, The Cross. They released three albums, "Shove IT", "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" and "Blue Rock". They are pretty good. Roger plays guitar and sings on The Cross albums. He plays all instruments and sings on his solo albums. ("Fun in Space", "Strange Frontier", "Electric Fire", "Happiness?" and the recent, "Fun on Earth")

no but i need to. More Roger is always good.

oh and Re the Paul Rodgers DVD.......he's no Freddie but it is a GREAT show. and he holds his own. Adding his own spin. I perfer his version of I want to Break free to Freddie's by miles.

Mick

Wow, I'm looking forward to this a lot more now. I love Freddie in I Want To Break Free.

• Like 1

ReGor...I now really enjoy three albums by this band.

Thanks to your post a couple of weeks back, I am patiently taking the ride!

You have our love and support Segue! :) If you don't mind me asking, what three albums have struck you as greatly enjoyable?

• Like 2

You have our love and support Segue! :) If you don't mind me asking, what three albums have struck you as greatly enjoyable?

Innuendo. Loved this instantly since about a year ago. Restarted their discography, and both Queen and Queen II left a good impression.

However I played Opera recently, and I really felt nothing towards it at all. But there we go...still going to continue

• Like 1

Innuendo. Loved this instantly since about a year ago. Restarted their discography, and both Queen and Queen II left a good impression.

However I played Opera recently, and I really felt nothing towards it at all. But there we go...still going to continue

I have the most insane of expectations for when I finally get to Innuendo, but that won't be until the spring, hopefully timed right around graduation. Even Segue loves it, man I can't wait...

I still remember getting Queen and Queen II. Got 'em at the same time off of iTunes as my first ever album purchases, along with 2112. Man I loved those to death. Funnily, I liked Queen a lot more than Queen II when I first got them, but a few moths later my thoughts on the pair flipped, learning to love the weird progginess on QII. Great albums!

• Like 1

Have you guys heard any of Roger's solo albums? They are so good. And, of course, he did, in fact, front his own band, The Cross. They released three albums, "Shove IT", "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" and "Blue Rock". They are pretty good. Roger plays guitar and sings on The Cross albums. He plays all instruments and sings on his solo albums. ("Fun in Space", "Strange Frontier", "Electric Fire", "Happiness?" and the recent, "Fun on Earth")

no but i need to. More Roger is always good.

oh and Re the Paul Rodgers DVD.......he's no Freddie but it is a GREAT show. and he holds his own. Adding his own spin. I perfer his version of I want to Break free to Freddie's by miles.

Mick

Wow, I'm looking forward to this a lot more now. I love Freddie in I Want To Break Free.

He adds more of a bluesey tone to it. man does it work.

Mick

I have the most insane of expectations for when I finally get to Innuendo, but that won't be until the spring, hopefully timed right around graduation. Even Segue loves it, man I can't wait...

I still remember getting Queen and Queen II. Got 'em at the same time off of iTunes as my first ever album purchases, along with 2112. Man I loved those to death. Funnily, I liked Queen a lot more than Queen II when I first got them, but a few moths later my thoughts on the pair flipped, learning to love the weird progginess on QII. Great albums!

Innuendo is just...this beast of an album. Took my breath away, and I have said many times when I say I dislike Queen, it doesn't mean I dismiss them. How can I when I adore an album that much? Mercury ended his career with what I truly, honestly, believe was his most heartfelt moment. The Show Must Go On moves me endlessly.

That love just hasn't spread. But three elements now stand out:

1. Roger Taylor: could be my favourite drummer, I don't normally take notice of the drums but I instantly noticed him!

2. Freddie Mercury: his less flamboyant moments are really, really wonderful. More and more I find myself warming to his range, and his playfulness.

3. Brian May: one aspect of this band I never doubted. Wow.

• Like 4

So, yesterday was a Queenfest for me. I went through Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, Night at the Opera, and News of the World. A few things were confirmed for me.

As a band their range of material is amazing. In any given album, you get some of the hardest rock, incredible ballads, quirky throwbacks and proggish experimentation, all infused with amazing melodies.

Their albums don't always flow well for me, similar to the Beatles, I guess.

News of the World is my favorite studio album. While the full potential of every song isn't realized i the way they were ultimately recorded, I just love the material. Every song.

Live Killers is far and away my favorite Queen experience. The live versions of songs like Spread Your Wings, Death on Two Legs, '39, Love of My Life, Don't Stop Me Now, and Now I'm Here breathe life into them.

Queen are amazing muzicians that make for a great, great band.

• Like 4

So, yesterday was a Queenfest for me. I went through Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, Night at the Opera, and News of the World. A few things were confirmed for me.

As a band their range of material is amazing. In any given album, you get some of the hardest rock, incredible ballads, quirky throwbacks and proggish experimentation, all infused with amazing melodies.

News of the World is my favorite studio album. While the full potential of every song isn't realized i the way they were ultimately recorded, I just love the material. Every song.

Live Killers is far and away my favorite Queen experience. The live versions of songs like Spread Your Wings, Death on Two Legs, '39, Love of My Life, Don't Stop Me Now, and Now I'm Here breathe life into them.

"Live Killers" is one of all time favourite albums.

If you haven't heard "Rainbow '74" yet, you should check it out...simply amazing.

• Like 2

If you haven't heard "Rainbow '74" yet, you should check it out...simply amazing.

Yes, and watch it too. Incredible.

• Like 2

Yes, and watch it too. Incredible.

Agreed...the Bluray is amazing.

New reason for loving Queen. Singing Queen songs has helped me get my voice back for a performacne I have in two days after I shredded it last Saturday while I already had a cough and sore throat (of course, only after the interim days of working throught the illness and letting my voice have some rest...some). Now becase of Queen I feel I've got my (limited) range back in working order and I can even toss in some vibrato and such where a please. I ought to use Queen songs to warm up before reheasing...

Yay Queen!!!!

• Like 2

I think The Works is a really great winter/Christmastime album. Not sure if it's just because of when I first got it, the fact that I got the deluxe version with "Thank God It's Christmas" on it, or what, but it really fits this time of year for me. Anyone feel like a particular Queen album really fits this time of year for them? (I also feel that way about ANATO, but I think that's mostly cause I got it for Christmas when I first got it, then I found out it came out around this time of year as well).
  • Like 1

Brian May has probably the most unique guitar tone - there's something about that guitar, and the fact that he plays with a coin of some kind (unless that's a myth?)

No myth; he plays with a British sixpence. He mentioned it before. I actually play with a dime from time to time as emulation (though I suck at guitar).

Holy shit is awesome. I had no idea.

I want to ride my bicycle! ( but i cant cause its fulking raining!)

Brian May has probably the most unique guitar tone - there's something about that guitar, and the fact that he plays with a coin of some kind (unless that's a myth?)

No myth; he plays with a British sixpence. He mentioned it before. I actually play with a dime from time to time as emulation (though I suck at guitar).

Chris Squire used a pound coin. Something about British steel.

• Like 2

Once again awesome trivia! Love it.

I always wondered why he had such a distinct sound.

You mean this British Steel?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/Judas_Priest_British_Steel.jpg

The Hammersmith Odeon box set is a thing of wonder and beauty. And the gig is OFF THE f***ing SCALE. So raw. So hungry.

Duuude! I just got it today too! It's epic! Soooo much epic stuff in the box too! Also, the sound check of Now I'm Here is IMO even better than the version they played for the audience! The single is so cool! I'm in love!

• Like 1