1980-85 Ten Best Songs

Lorraine

If it will make it easier for anyone, you can make it twenty songs. It'll be a Snakes & Arrows type CD. :laughing guy:

A near impossible task...I needed a top ten year by year.

I feel like I betrayed some great songs in my process of elimination.

Great thread little sister.

• Like 2

Julian Lennon - Valotte

Beautiful song. Too bad he used up all his rocket sauce on that one.

the whole album was good. I always wondered why he disappeared after it. I felt sorry for him having to walk in the shadow of his father through life, but I thought he had a talent all his own.

If it will make it easier for anyone, you can make it twenty songs. It'll be a Snakes & Arrows type CD. :laughing guy:

A near impossible task...I needed a top ten year by year.

I feel like I betrayed some great songs in my process of elimination.

Great thread little sister.

You're right about that - top ten year by year.

Feel free to post more or even go year by year.

Metallica - Hit The Lights

Saxon - Crusader

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow

Van Halen - I'll Wait

Ultravox - Vienna

Mike Oldfield - The Lake

U2 - I Will Follow

Marillion - Chelsea Monday

Rush - Losing It

don't ask me tomorrow :smoke: :cool:

• Like 2

Metallica - Hit The Lights

Saxon - Crusader

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow

Van Halen - I'll Wait

Ultravox - Vienna

Mike Oldfield - The Lake

U2 - I Will Follow

Marillion - Chelsea Monday

Rush - Losing It

don't ask me tomorrow :smoke: :cool:

Man I totally forgot Marillion. I would go Script or Incubus. Both are favorite Fish era songs

• Like 1

Asia - Only Time Will Tell or Wildest Dreams

Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin or Burnin' for You or Sole Survivor or Joan Crawford (love that album...)

Def Leppard - Let It Go or High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night) or Switch 625 (love that album, too...)

Peter Gabriel - San Jacinto

Genesis - anything from Duke (I can't narrow it down)

Genesis - Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea

Iron Maiden - pretty much anything from Number of the Beast

Led Zeppelin - Poor Tom (Coda, 1982)

Max Webster - In the World of Giants or Battle Scar

Kim Mitchell - All We Are or Diary for Rock 'n' Roll Men or Feel it Burn or Rumour Has it or . . .

Ozzy - Crazy Train or Mr. Crowley

Pink Floyd - The Hero's Return or The Gunner's Dream or Paranoid Eyes or The Fletcher Memorial Home

The Police - Synchronicity II

Queen - Dragon Attack or Save Me

Rush - Digital Man or The Weapon

Triumph - Allied Forces or Fight the Good Fight

Van Halen - Panama or Top Jimmy or Drop Dead Legs or House of Pain

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood or Lenny

Yes - Changes

ZZ Top - Got Me Under Pressure or Bad Girl

In reading through other lists, I'm seeing loads of things that I've left out...but I think I would need all of these tunes on my compliation

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

I'm not completely sure if all of these are pre-1985, but I think they might be ... and to break any potential monotony, I am only listing one song from a particular band ( for example, Duran Duran can't have 3 songs )

Side One

1) The Chauffer - Duran Duran

2) Don't Change - INXS

3) Pretty In Pink - Psychedelic Furs

4) Fade To Grey - Visage

5) Until I Get You - Hanoi Rocks

Side Two

1) Winner Takes It All - ABBA

2) Murders In The Rue Morgue - Iron Maiden

3) Jacob's Ladder - RUSH

4) Runaway - Bon Jovi

5) Fast As A Shark - Accept

Hidden Bonus Track - CD Only - Like Hell - Loudness

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

1. "Lay It Down" RATT

2. "Let It Go" DEF LEPPARD

3. "Fast As A Shark" ACCEPT

4. "Live Wire" MOTLEY CRUE

5. "Kiss Of Death" DOKKEN

6. "I Believe In You" Y&T

7. "Wrathchild" IRON MAIDEN

8. "The Trooper" IRON MAIDEN

9. "Dallas 1 PM" SAXON

10. "Lady Starlight" SCORPIONS

• Like 2

I'm not completely sure if all of these are pre-1985, but I think they might be ... and to break any potential monotony, I am only listing one song from a particular band ( for example, Duran Duran can't have 3 songs )

Side One

2) Don't Change - INXS

4) Fade To Grey - Visage

Side Two

3) Jacob's Ladder - RUSH

4) Runaway - Bon Jovi

My God Lucas. I wrote "Fast As A Shark" before seeing your list.

I remember I was a freshman in high school listening to KVHS which was a local high school radio station. They played all the great hard rock and metal of the early 80's. Everyday was Heaven back then.

I will never forget the first day I heard "Fast As A Shark" It blew me out of the water! LOL!

My mind was in awe while my eardrums where melting like volcanic goo.

EPIC!!!

Pun intended as Accept were signed to CBS/EPIC Records! LOL!

Do you have "BREAKER?"

The album before "Restless And Wild" It's in my top ten of all time!!!

Signed,

"SON OF A BITCH"

• Like 1

Side One

2) Don't Change - INXS

4) Fade To Grey - Visage

Side Two

3) Jacob's Ladder - RUSH

4) Runaway - Bon Jovi

I remember I was a freshman in high school listening to KVHS which was a local high school radio station. They played all the great hard rock and metal of the early 80's. Everyday was Heaven back then.

I will never forget the first day I heard "Fast As A Shark" It blew me out of the water! LOL!

EPIC!!!

Do you have "BREAKER?"

Signed,

"SON OF A BITCH"

Earl, I remember the first time I heard Fast As A Shark also - WDHA here in NJ had a metal show every Friday, and it blew me away too - at that point ( 1982-83 ) I was disillusioned with so many of the bands I had loved - KISS, RUSH, Queen, and AC/DC all lost me, Zep had died, and Aerosmith and Thin Lizzy were basically gone - so it became Accept, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and anything with a Schenker on guitar ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Side One

2) Don't Change - INXS

4) Fade To Grey - Visage

Side Two

3) Jacob's Ladder - RUSH

4) Runaway - Bon Jovi

EPIC!!!

Do you have "BREAKER?"

Signed,

"SON OF A BITCH"

Earl, I remember the first time I heard Fast As A Shark also - WDHA here in NJ had a metal show every Friday, and it blew me away too - at that point ( 1982-83 ) I was disillusioned with so many of the bands I had loved - KISS, RUSH, Queen, and AC/DC all lost me, Zep had died, and Aerosmith and Thin Lizzy were basically gone - so it became Accept, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and anything with a Schenker on guitar ..

OMG!!!! You know me I have a big mouth and fast fingers but man you are my BROTHER! My God! Every band you mentioned I love. I'm a WHORE!!!

I wouldn't change a thing.

ROCK AND ROLL IS MY RELIGION! I NEED IT EVERY DAY!!

CHEERS!

• Like 1

Not sure how all that Duran Duran crept in there ;)

Seriously, from day one of my love affair with music, a great song has been a great song, regardless of style

"EARLS ON FILM"

LOL

I'm an idiot.

Earl, you are the life of this forum, so don't be so dang hard on yourself

And when life falls apart, it can be a good thing - when you look at all the pieces laying there, you can then put it back together the way you truly want it to be ..

Edited by Lucas

But at least I have fun still.

My real life is falling apart each day.

I will "NEVER SURRENDER."

Love,

TRIUMPH

The UK Subs have taught me NEVER Lie Down And Die !!!!!!!!!!

I WON'T LIE DOWN AND DIE !

****, this album should have been my Top 10 being that it is from '82

Going with the original request of 10 because let's face it, we could all probably list 100 and STILL have a tough time having to exclude some. Here goes...

- The Cure : In Between Days...no 80s list should ever exclude The Cure. And that's all there is to it.

- Missing Persons : Destination Unknown...when they came out I thought I was looking at some band that could've been playing in a bar in Blade Runner. Forget Dale Bozzio's attire; they made good music.

- Metallica : Creeping Death...they used to be so good in the 80s. Here's one of many examples I think of immediately.

- Rush : Tom Sawyer...can't not think of Tom Sawyer when it comes to Rush in the 80s.

- Queen : Crazy Little Thing Called Love...yeah, they were better in the 70s but this was still fun.

- The Clash : Rock the Casbah...such good memories connected to this tune...mostly of watching MTV for hours on end in those days. Martha Quinn!

- Triumph : Fight the Good Fight...the other awesome Canadien trio. Just a rockin' good tune!

Journey : Someday Soon...not the most popular Journey tune nor their most popular album but I did prefer Perry/Rollie Journey era anyway.

AC/DC : You Shook Me All Night Long...this song always made me feel good so it makes the cut.

Van Halen : Everybody Wants Some...could've gone dozens of different ways but VH with minimal or no keyboards is best.

• Like 1

Going with the original request of 10 because let's face it, we could all probably list 100 and STILL have a tough time having to exclude some. Here goes...

- The Cure : In Between Days...no 80s list should ever exclude The Cure. And that's all there is to it.

- Missing Persons : Destination Unknown...when they came out I thought I was looking at some band that could've been playing in a bar in Blade Runner. Forget Dale Bozzio's attire; they made good music.

- Metallica : Creeping Death...they used to be so good in the 80s. Here's one of many examples I think of immediately.

- Rush : Tom Sawyer...can't not think of Tom Sawyer when it comes to Rush in the 80s.

- Queen : Crazy Little Thing Called Love...yeah, they were better in the 70s but this was still fun.

- The Clash : Rock the Casbah...such good memories connected to this tune...mostly of watching MTV for hours on end in those days. Martha Quinn!

- Triumph : Fight the Good Fight...the other awesome Canadien trio. Just a rockin' good tune!

Journey : Someday Soon...not the most popular Journey tune nor their most popular album but I did prefer Perry/Rollie Journey era anyway.

AC/DC : You Shook Me All Night Long...this song always made me feel good so it makes the cut.

Van Halen : Everybody Wants Some...could've gone dozens of different ways but VH with minimal or no keyboards is best.

This list is an excellent representation of that time period.

• Like 1

This list is an excellent representation of that time period.

:cheers: