losing it opening synths

boofie

yeah I kinda assumed that the main synth you hear is the ob-x or ob-xa. its that synth underneath (for lack of a better way of putting it) that is playing an octave higher modulated with an LFO that is bugging me really... you can hear it ring out a bit on the last note of each measure (C# on the fist measure)

the synth that stands out (assumption its the obi) I can get 99.9% there with an ob-8 trying to get that second synth sound with an xpander. thanks

JB

yeah I kinda assumed that the main synth you hear is the ob-x or ob-xa. its that synth underneath (for lack of a better way of putting it) that is playing an octave higher modulated with an LFO that is bugging me really... you can hear it ring out a bit on the last note of each measure (C# on the fist measure)

the synth that stands out (assumption its the obi) I can get 99.9% there with an ob-8 trying to get that second synth sound with an xpander. thanks

JB

I would say it is either two synth parts layered over each other, or Its on a setting where there is an ambient note after every key press for more melody.

The opening to Losing It is a sequenced OB and the violin.

I didnt know it was sequenced. DSX i would assume? do you know if he was using a double patch? assuming it was an OB-Xa.

When Rush did it live this tour, Geddy only used the sampler function of his piano.

MIDI controller keyboard. A piano is an acoustic instrument. :)

I'd love to know what all synths are doing what in 'Losing It'. The opening is almost certainly sequenced - but pretty hard to tell which keyboard is playing it. I think he tended to use the DSX and OB-Xa to play sequences the most (the JP-8 and OB-X being played manually) .. so that would be my guess. That higher pitched warbling on that one note always caught my ear too - funny to hear someone else wondering about that ;) The patch sounds like it has two parts in octaves, although it is strange how it's so noticeable on that one note.

I absolutely love the synth pads in that song, would love to know if that's OB-X or JP-8 (my guess would be OB-X just by the similarity to other pads he uses). Hard to say if the bass notes in the first verse are the same patch, Taurus pedals (doesn't quite sound like them), or something else. To my ears, it sounds like a lot of the synth bass on Signals is coming from the OB-X instead of Taurus pedals.