ES-335 (How it's made)

Rush-O-Matic

This may have been posted already, but I didn't see it. I had not seen this before, but it's an excellent tour of Gibson's Memphis assembly plant, where they make the ES guitars. It's a little over 25 minutes long, so it's not your typical 2 minute YouTube video. Honestly, I thought it was some quickie thing that wouldn't be all that revealing. But, it's actually very in-depth, and shows the whole process. (Other than how they make the pickups.) Jason Dawson does a fantastic job with the tour, and it is pretty cool to see his mood change and see the emotion in his description, when they get to the point where the guitar comes to life.

https://www.grammypro.com/professional-development/video/all-access-gibson-memphis-factory-tour#ooid=pueGh0djp4WY2NvcNy3YFRJQiSWDfjP7

• Like 3

Very cool. Too bad you could barely make out what the guy was saying in spots. You'd think GrammyPro would have a better production department. But the process is interesting, though I don't think 50s era Gibsons had fretboards made by a third party company. Now we can see why American made products cost so much. It's good to see things made by hand for the most part.
  • Like 1

Very cool. Too bad you could barely make out what the guy was saying in spots. You'd think GrammyPro would have a better production department.

Considering they did it during production hours, with the sound of lathes and routers and sanders running wide open, I was actually impressed you could hear him at all.

I've recorded people speaking in server rooms where you can barely hear them in the room but with a decent lavalier mic it can reduce background noise quite a bit. My biggest complaint was the music covering up what he was saying more than the build noise. :)

I've recorded people speaking in server rooms where you can barely hear them in the room but with a decent lavalier mic it can reduce background noise quite a bit. My biggest complaint was the music covering up what he was saying more than the build noise. :)

Ah. You know, I actually noticed that, and thought it might have been intentional - like he accidentally revealed a trade secret or something, so they blared the music over it.

I think they thought the music would cover the background noise. Having dealt with producers of such videos myself I have gotten that request.

And speaking of leaving Kalamazoo they are no longer Gibson Guitars either... They are now officially "Gibson Brands" because the company is moving towards consumer electronics. The demand for guitars ain't what it used to be.