Worst Studio Rush Album (with original music)

Rushman2112

Worst Rush Album  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is the worst?

• Rush
    • Fly by Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

I'm going with Grace Under Pressure because it was too electronic, many of the songs ended the same way, it was the first release post-Terry Brown, and the whole thing has kind of a thin sound to me. Too keyboard/electronic drum heavy.

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are way more synth heavy. GUP has the best guitar work from the synth era. I don't get how you would like it the least if you don't like the keyboards when the two that followed were more synth driven. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Snakes And Arrows

I cannot hate what I cannot remember.

But I should be able to remember something from an album I have played over forty times!

Second from last would be a toss up between...RTB, CP, CA and FBN.

Presto, followed by Snakes and Arrows. Just depends on which of the two I've listened to the most recently.

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are way more synth heavy. GUP has the best guitar work from the synth era. I don't get how you would like it the least if you don't like the keyboards when the two that followed were more synth driven.

The songwriting and the tone seem to both be off on GUP. I agree that Alex's guitar work is excellent, but even that sounds more thin than usual. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire both have a better sound and better songwriting (with the exception of Tai Shan).

Grace Under Pressure is the only Rush album where the songwriting is literally 50/50 to me, and even on the songs I like there is still something missing. The ending to Kid Gloves sticks out as a high point though. I always thought it worked as a great ending to Tom Sawyer live. Whenever I played Tom Sawyer in a band we always did the Kid Gloves ending.

VT. But i almost picked p/g 2 albums where i don't like a single track.

Mick

O well. At least you like 1989!

• Like 1

I love every song within every album, but HYF will have to take the cake, even though I still love the album. I don't know why VT and T4E get so much hate. VT is my second fav rush album and T4E is my fifth. Edited by TheWatchMaker97
  • Like 2

In my opinion there is no "worst" catagory. Some have major differences in style and construction but not more worse or better than the one before or after. That is why I love this band, they will not conform to any one style and say that's it! now we are Rush. Ican't wait to hear what's next. Long Live Rush!
  • Like 1

I love every song within every album, but HYF will have to take the cake, even though I still love the album. I don't know why VT and T4E get so much hate. VT is my second fav rush album and T4E is my fifth.

VT...second fave?

Boop! U r awesome!

Roll The Bones

Everything else I at least have moments throughout where I can't help but really enjoy the record, whereas even RTB's highlights are easily ignorable. There's just not enough punch. There was enough on Presto because somehow Presto didn't need so much, but that story just isn't the same for RTB.

• Like 1

I love every song within every album, but HYF will have to take the cake, even though I still love the album. I don't know why VT and T4E get so much hate. VT is my second fav rush album and T4E is my fifth.

VT...second fave?

Boop! U r awesome!

Yes, VT lyrical content is one of their best. Also all three members just have a lot of kick ass moments on the album :finbar:

• Like 1

The debut, extremely derivative with not much to enjoy. Even the guitar work, muscular and rocking as it is, just lacks an identity. It GREATLY benefits from live performances, like the resurrection of What You're Doing as well as the stuff on ATWAS, but I'm basing this on the actual studio albums.

This is very closely followed by Presto, the worst true Rush album.

I can understand not liking Vapor Trails, but I don't understand it being considered inferior to Test For Echo or Roll the Bones or Presto. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Test for Echo is the weakest Rush release.
  • Like 3

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are way more synth heavy. GUP has the best guitar work from the synth era. I don't get how you would like it the least if you don't like the keyboards when the two that followed were more synth driven.

Agreed. I suppose the reason might be that PW and HYF had bigger, fuller keyboard arrangements. When ut comes to keys, go big or go away? (not my opinion)