"All The Journeys Of This Great Adventure"- My re-discovery of this great band known as Rush..

fraroc

I don't even own this album

Me either. Just listened to it (I had only heard two songs previously) yesterday. Mostly bleh to me. I've got plenty of other Rush albums to keep me happy!

:doublegasp:

This was my first RUSH love. Great stuff.

Snakes and Arrows was my first Rush love. Go figure. :LOL:

Cougar bait.

This was a long time coming, but it's time to give my review of the next album!

FLY BY NIGHT (1975)

1. Anthem

Rating: 10/10

My Thoughts: Simply put...THIS SONG KICKS ASS! The main riff and basically the entire song is very catchy and all-around awesome. Despite the fact that the message of the song can be construed as you only give a shit about yourself and no one else around you, that really doesn't stop it form being a very enjoyable song to listen to.

Would I Like To See It Live: Of course I would, In fact I wish I knew this song before R40 so I could have pointed out.

2. Best I Can

Rating: 8/10

My Thoughts: In my opinion, this is the most debut album sounding song on Fly By Night and I feel like it really can fit on the first album. It's a decent rocker, Hell, even in the lyrics sound like a pre-Neil song....Overall, its a pretty decent tune. I LOVE Alex' solo on it!

Would I Like To See It Live: I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it!

3. Beneath, Between and Behind

Rating: 9/10

My Thoughts: I REALLY like this one! Reading the lyrics, this really seems like Neil's first attempt at writing songs with stereotypical "proggy" lyrics such as " Ten score years ago, Defeat the kingly foe, A wondrous dream came into being"And a song with those lyrics, you'd be surprised that it's a pretty fast paced rocker. You really get to hear Neil's drum talents come into play on this one also.

Would I Like To See It Live: Hell yeah! I think this song kicked ass live on ESL and it would have been awesome on R40!

4. By-Tor And The Snow Dog

My Thoughts: I'll be honest, I do not think I was going to like this one at all. How wrong I was! Despite being an 8 minute song, for most of it's duration it just hauls ass! Neil's quick little 10 second drum solos really highlight what was to come for this band. With the exception of the extremely slow, atmospheric Xanadu like part in the middle, it keeps a steady fast pace throughout.

Would I Like to See It Live: Yes, but realistically, I wouldn't like to see the whole song done live. Maybe the song up to the slow part segueing into Xanadu would be a good idea...

5. Fly By Night

My Thoughts: Aside from Working Man, this is probably the oldest Rush song you'll hear on classic rock radio. It's a really good song with a great hook and a memorable chorus. Alex's guitar solo is pretty good too! Overall, it's a really solid song and I would put this on the same level as Limelight and Freewill. One of the things I don't really dig is Ged sounding like he's singing underwater during the slow section.

Would I Like To See It Live: Yes and I actually wanted to hear this one instead of Anthem.

6. Making Memories

My Thoughts: In this song, there is absolutley NO denying the Led Zeppelin influence in Rush's early music. When I first listened to this song, I thought I was listening to a Led Zeppelin tune. I do like this song a lot and I think it's a fun little ditty.

Would I Like To See It Live: I wouldn't be opposed to it, so yeah.

7. Rivendell

Rating: negative infinity/10

My Thoughts: You know a song is f***ing bad when you can literally use Tai Shan as your "ear cleansing" song. Seriously, I thought Tai Shan was bad, this turd of a song makes that song sound like Witch Hunt or Marathon in comparison. Easily Rush's most boring song and sounds like a soft intro that they tried to extend into a full song. And the lyrics are so f***ing pretentious as shit....Anyway, this song sucks and it sucks hard.

Would I like To See It Live: f**k NO. Not even a shortened version.

8. In The End

Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: It's too bad that the intro to the song sucks so hard, because the song that follows is actually a pretty decent song. It's a decent mid tempo song and I think that it's a really good way to end a pretty decent album. The tom-tom rolls are definitely a Neil signature, you definitely don't get Rutsey doing that! The solo by Alex is pretty good as well

Would I like to see it live: Yes, and I think it would be a fitting way to end the show.

Overall the album itself is good with some decent songs and only one turd.

• Like 2

Recently, I've made the decision to go back and time and re-discover Rush's music from the bottom up...And what better way to do it than in chronological order?! This thread is going to have one purpose only for me, sharing my experiences in listening to all of Rush's songs, whether I've know them by heart or I've never ever heard them before in my life...I really hope that this thread also inspires people who haven't been listening to Rush lately to give it another whirl and re-enter the world of Rush!

This is how it's going to work, I will write a small blurb about what I feel about a certain song, rate it out of 10, and say whether or whether not I'd like to see it live or not....so here we go....

RUSH (1974)

1. Finding My Way

My Thoughts: What can you say? This is Rush's first song! (Well, first song on the debut album...but whatever) I really like this one. A solid rocker with a kickass guitar riff! Geddy Lee was really channeling his inner Robert Plant with this song, so I get what Gene Simmons says when he referred to them as "Canadian Zeppelin". Overall, I feel this awesome song was the right way to kickstart Rush's 41 year career!

Would I Like To See It Live:Hell yes! If they had done this song as the R40 encore, that would have been perfect for me! If they had done this song and The Garden from Clockwork Angels, we would have really had a setlist go "From first to last"

2. Need Some Love

My Thoughts: I really like this short little song by Rush, but I must say, It's odd to see Geddy Lee singing about wanting to love a girl in almost a KISS-esque fashion. It almost doesn't sound like a Rush tune at all, especially after hearing Ged singing about dining on honeydew and madmen fed on fear and lies. Overall, it's a good rockin' song with a good riff.

Would I like To See It Live: I wouldn't have been opposed to it if they played it as part of the R40 encore. It's a fast paced song and I think the audience would really like it.

3. Take A Friend

My Thoughts: I know of Rush fans that really don't like this song. I'm NOT one of them. Compared to the other songs on the debut, the intro riff and outro riff has sort of a "Anthem" esque feel to it, however the rest of the song is pretty reminiscent of the other rockers on the album. It's a pretty good song about going out in the world and making friends. The instrumental part is pretty good, even though you'd kind of expect it would be a little more intricate and more complicated...Just goes to show you how much influence Neil had once he joined.

Would I like To See It Live: I'd personally like to see this song done live, but I think it would be too much of a deep cut for the audience.

4. Here Again

Rating: 4/10

My Thoughts: I'm sorry, but while Rush was absolutely f***ing AMAZING at progressive rock, psychadelic stoner music is really not their forte and you can definitely tell with this attempt at a stoner-esque "hey man wanna get high?" song. The song itself is only 7 minutes, but it seems longer than Xanadu...then again Xanadu doesn't seem 12 minutes long, but I'll get to that on my A Farewell To Kings review....Overall, this song is just boring and un-Rush like. Even for this album.

Would I Like To See It Live: A shortened version would be tolerable, but NOT the whole song.

5. What You're Doing

My Thoughts: God DAMN this song is good! I really like this one, probably because it sorta kinda reminds me of Watchin' You by KISS. But the fact that the songs sound kind of similar put aside, I like What You're Doing on it's own too! Alex's riff and Geddy's Robert Plant-esque vocal melodies are catchy as all hell! I think I even like it better than Wachin' You!

Would I Like To See It Live: Hell Yeah! And I did, it was the first time I ever listened to this song and I fell in love with it straight away!

6. In The Mood

My Thoughts: I love this song! I always have and I always will! Despite not having as "artistic" of lyrics as what is to come in Rush's history, I'd still rank it up there with songs like Limelight. The riff is catchy and John Rutsey's drumming is good also. It's odd to see Rush singing a song about flirting with a chick, but that's one of the beauties of pre-Neil Rush, in my honest opinion!

Would I Like To See It Live: Of course! If they had done this song instead of What You're Doing, I'd still would have been content!

7. Before and After

My Thoughts: I almost thought this was an instrumental when I first listened to this one, but this song is a classic case of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Once it hits that 2:20 mark, it just gets going and doesn't stop! What you expect is a boring song like Here Again turned into another kick-ass rocker! I feel the intro kind of drags along, but once you hit that threshold, it just kicks your ass! I'm glad I listened to it all the way through!

Would I Like To See It Live: Yes if they'd do a shorter intro or cut it completely. Gotta trim the fat somewhere.

8. Working Man

My Thoughts: Technically Rush's first hit and it's a damn f***ing good song! Alex really channeled his inner Tony Iommi with this one because it really sounds just like a Black Sabbath tune at times. Alex's solo also really kicks ass as well. The middle of the song defnitley kicks ass, it almost has sort of an "Iron Man" like feel to it. You know how the main melody is slow and plodding, yet in the middle it really picks up? Overall, it's a kick ass song and it's a good way to end a pretty solid album, with an exception (Here Again).

Would I like To See It Live: Of course! And I did actually on the R40 tour, this song I think sounds even better live in fact!

Agree with most of what you say here except for Before and After; I think the intro to Before and After is awesome.

Keep going! I'm very curious to see your reviews of the other albums.

This was a long time coming, but it's time to give my review of the next album!

FLY BY NIGHT (1975)

1. Anthem

Rating: 10/10

My Thoughts: Simply put...THIS SONG KICKS ASS! The main riff and basically the entire song is very catchy and all-around awesome. Despite the fact that the message of the song can be construed as you only give a shit about yourself and no one else around you, that really doesn't stop it form being a very enjoyable song to listen to.

Would I Like To See It Live: Of course I would, In fact I wish I knew this song before R40 so I could have pointed out.

2. Best I Can

My Thoughts: In my opinion, this is the most debut album sounding song on Fly By Night and I feel like it really can fit on the first album. It's a decent rocker, Hell, even in the lyrics sound like a pre-Neil song....Overall, its a pretty decent tune. I LOVE Alex' solo on it!

Would I Like To See It Live: I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it!

3. Beneath, Between and Behind

My Thoughts: I REALLY like this one! Reading the lyrics, this really seems like Neil's first attempt at writing songs with stereotypical "proggy" lyrics such as " Ten score years ago, Defeat the kingly foe, A wondrous dream came into being"And a song with those lyrics, you'd be surprised that it's a pretty fast paced rocker. You really get to hear Neil's drum talents come into play on this one also.

Would I Like To See It Live: Hell yeah! I think this song kicked ass live on ESL and it would have been awesome on R40!

4. By-Tor And The Snow Dog

My Thoughts: I'll be honest, I do not think I was going to like this one at all. How wrong I was! Despite being an 8 minute song, for most of it's duration it just hauls ass! Neil's quick little 10 second drum solos really highlight what was to come for this band. With the exception of the extremely slow, atmospheric Xanadu like part in the middle, it keeps a steady fast pace throughout.

Would I Like to See It Live: Yes, but realistically, I wouldn't like to see the whole song done live. Maybe the song up to the slow part segueing into Xanadu would be a good idea...

5. Fly By Night

My Thoughts: Aside from Working Man, this is probably the oldest Rush song you'll hear on classic rock radio. It's a really good song with a great hook and a memorable chorus. Alex's guitar solo is pretty good too! Overall, it's a really solid song and I would put this on the same level as Limelight and Freewill. One of the things I don't really dig is Ged sounding like he's singing underwater during the slow section.

Would I Like To See It Live: Yes and I actually wanted to hear this one instead of Anthem.

6. Making Memories

My Thoughts: In this song, there is absolutley NO denying the Led Zeppelin influence in Rush's early music. When I first listened to this song, I thought I was listening to a Led Zeppelin tune. I do like this song a lot and I think it's a fun little ditty.

Would I Like To See It Live: I wouldn't be opposed to it, so yeah.

7. Rivendell

Rating: negative infinity/10

My Thoughts: You know a song is f***ing bad when you can literally use Tai Shan as your "ear cleansing" song. Seriously, I thought Tai Shan was bad, this turd of a song makes that song sound like Witch Hunt or Marathon in comparison. Easily Rush's most boring song and sounds like a soft intro that they tried to extend into a full song. And the lyrics are so f***ing pretentious as shit....Anyway, this song sucks and it sucks hard.

Would I like To See It Live: f**k NO. Not even a shortened version.

8. In The End

My Thoughts: It's too bad that the intro to the song sucks so hard, because the song that follows is actually a pretty decent song. It's a decent mid tempo song and I think that it's a really good way to end a pretty decent album. The tom-tom rolls are definitely a Neil signature, you definitely don't get Rutsey doing that! The solo by Alex is pretty good as well

Would I like to see it live: Yes, and I think it would be a fitting way to end the show.

Overall the album itself is good with some decent songs and only one turd.

Your opinion on Rivendell is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read...and that's saying something.
  • Like 3

I was on board until Rivendell. That song is gorgeous, and I certainly don't understand how the lyrics are "pretentious"
  • Like 4

I was on board until Rivendell. That song is gorgeous, and I certainly don't understand how the lyrics are "pretentious"

Amen

Rivendell was quite ambitious for where the band was developmentally at the time. Really interesting sounds, and peaceful...so peaceful. The lyrics are wonderful to hear in light of the inspiration from the books.

Fraroc misfires on In the End as well. That song is freaking amazing.

Fly by Night, while a catchy tune is not on the same level as Limelight or Freewill. Musically too simplistic, and certainly lacking in the cinematic department...still a good sing.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

I think In The End is a 9 out of ten on FBN and a 15 out of ten on ATWAS.

One of Rush's most awesome songs.

An even more remarkable fact when you consider Neil had no input.

It's a very beautiful, powerful song. But it's not at all clear what it's supposed to be about.

The lyrics suggest a person who can feel but not think; you'd think Neil would have written it but it was Geddy and/or Alex.

Is the narrator supposed to be mentally disabled?

I find the lyrics intriguing, ambiguous, and poignant.

• Like 2

One of the things I don't really dig is Ged sounding like he's singing underwater during the slow section.

That's hilarious!

That his aqualung...he was born with it

They pull a similar vocal effect out for Clockwork. A lot of FBN nods are on that album, actually.
  • Like 2

One of the things I don't really dig is Ged sounding like he's singing underwater during the slow section.

That's hilarious!

They pull a similar vocal effect out for Clockwork. A lot of FBN nods are on that album, actually.

Boouzjhe said if FBN and GuP f***ed, Clockwork Angels is what you'd get
  • Like 2

That's hilarious!

Says the engineer with the tin ear.

• Like 1

That's hilarious!

You mean "Golden" ears

That's hilarious!

You mean "Golden" ears

Like an ear of corn. :D

• Like 1

Amen

Rivendell was quite ambitious for where the band was developmentally at the time. Really interesting sounds, and peaceful...so peaceful. The lyrics are wonderful to hear in light of the inspiration from the books.

Fraroc misfires on In the End as well. That song is freaking amazing.

Fly by Night, while a catchy tune is not on the same level as Limelight or Freewill. Musically too simplistic, and certainly lacking in the cinematic department...still a good sing.

I thought I was the only one who found it to be a solid track

• Like 1

That's hilarious!

You mean "Golden" ears

Like an ear of corn. :D

Like a cornucopia of sound
  • Like 2