Need help getting a new electric guitar

LedRush

So, I love the new guitar, but it buzzes a bit on a couple of frets. I don't want to raise the action (it is already higher than on my Tele) and I was told that it is buzzing because my technique sucks balls. However, I never got buzzing on my Tele or my acoustic, so it seems weird. On a related note, the same person who set it up set up my Tele, and now I get buzzing on that. There's room to raise the action on that one, though, which was obviously lowered in the setup. Also, I got .10 strings instead of .09, so maybe that's it? Any thoughts on this?

It's annoying because I love the sound of the Epiphone, I love the looks, it feels great, and I'm playing more than I have since 1998. But if I want to strum aggressively or hit the D string on the third fret, that darn buzzing!!!

Oh, and the red is still red, but it blends much better in real life than in the picture above.

I know the truss rod has already been altered on the Epi.

Copied from SOCN:

But I did love Paul schooling the others on their hypocrisy over their alleged love of the 10th amendment vs enforcing federal MJ laws.

But MJ is a known, dangerous gateway drug, especially for 6-year olds suffering seizures who can only be helped by cannabis oil....Carly said so!

You evil bitch!

I hope you love your Epiphone but it hates you!

fixed

I love it, but it buzzes a bit on a couple of frets. I don't want to raise the action (it is already higher than on my Tele) and I was told that it is buzzing because my technique sucks balls. However, I never got buzzing on my Tele or my acoustic, so it seems weird. On a related note, the same person who set it up set up my Tele, and now I get buzzing on that. There's room to raise the action, though, which was obviously lowered in the setup. Also, I got .10 strings instead of .09, so maybe that's it? Any thoughts on this?

It's annoying because I love the sound of the Epiphone, I love the looks, it feels great, and I'm playing more than I have since 1998. But if I want to strum aggressively or hit the D string on the third fret, that darn buzzing!!!

You might have a bit of neck bow. When you had your Epi and Tele set up, did they mess with the truss rod?

Yes for the Epi, I don't know for the Tele. I duplicated this comment in Making modern music so I don't hijack this thread. http://www.therushfo...40#entry3738907

So, I love the new guitar, but it buzzes a bit on a couple of frets. I don't want to raise the action (it is already higher than on my Tele) and I was told that it is buzzing because my technique sucks balls. However, I never got buzzing on my Tele or my acoustic, so it seems weird. On a related note, the same person who set it up set up my Tele, and now I get buzzing on that. There's room to raise the action on that one, though, which was obviously lowered in the setup. Also, I got .10 strings instead of .09, so maybe that's it? Any thoughts on this?

Oh, and the red is still red, but it blends much better in real life than in the picture above.

Do you know if this buzzing on the Epi was happening before the truss rod was adjusted?

And for your Tele, if it wasn't buzzing before you had it setup, the neck probably got slightly out of whack during setup. That can happen, which is why during setup, the person usually checks if the truss rod needs to be adjusted.

Edited by BowlCity

I would ask which strings/frets are buzzing. You may just need to adjust string height a hair to fix it. A fraction of a turn. You can also use feeler gauges, like used for spark plugs, to determine the gaps between the string and the fret where you hear the buzz. It could be a fret that's too high, or two if it happens in more than one spot. This happens a lot. A buzzy fret can be sticking up just enough for this to happen. That would need a fret file to correct, the type that covers 3 or more frets at a time with the strings removed.

If both guitars are buzzing in the same place it's the guy who's setting them up. :) In which case that's on him to fix.

You probably need to have the frets leveled. It's not unusual to have a few high frets on less expensive guitars. Find a good tech to take it to and get it checked out. It's a pretty simple procedure and shouldn't cost very much.

Which is what I said. :) It's done by a leveling file like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/Fret_Fingerboard_Leveling_Files.html

Do you know if this buzzing on the Epi was happening before the truss rod was adjusted?

And for your Tele, if it wasn't buzzing before you had it setup, the neck probably got slightly out of whack during setup. That can happen, which is why during setup, the person usually checks if the truss rod needs to be adjusted.

For the Epi, there was buzzing before the truss rod was adjusted.

I would ask which strings/frets are buzzing. You may just need to adjust string height a hair to fix it. A fraction of a turn. You can also use feeler gauges, like used for spark plugs, to determine the gaps between the string and the fret where you hear the buzz. It could be a fret that's too high, or two if it happens in more than one spot. This happens a lot. A buzzy fret can be sticking up just enough for this to happen. That would need a fret file to correct, the type that covers 3 or more frets at a time with the strings removed.

If both guitars are buzzing in the same place it's the guy who's setting them up. :) In which case that's on him to fix.

They guarantee the set ups, meaning I can take it back as often as I want till it's how I like it. But for the the Epi the buzzing is most prominent on the d string, 3rd fret, but it also occurs on E, a, d for the 1st, 3rd, and 5th frets, but the third fret is by far the most problematic.

I have adjusted the action myself, and the buzzing stayed despite significant raises in height.

For the Tele, I don't know how to raise the action, and as all I wanna do is play the Epi until I am forced to sleep, I am not inclined to find out. I'll simply throw it at the guitar tech and ask her to fix it.

You probably need to have the frets leveled. It's not unusual to have a few high frets on less expensive guitars. Find a good tech to take it to and get it checked out. It's a pretty simple procedure and shouldn't cost very much.

Less expensive guitars, huh? I guess every guitar but one is less expensive, but when I spend $560 (incl. tax) on a guitar, I expect the f***er to work.

Less expensive guitars, huh? I guess every guitar but one is less expensive, but when I spend $560 (incl. tax) on a guitar, I expect the f***er to work.

Well, I've even had $1000+ guitars that needed something, but it's just more prevalent the lower price you go. That's how they keep the prices lower. Less attention to detail.

Agreed a guitar more than $500 should be fully functional. It's good the tech will cover his work until you are happy. But he should also be able to identify high frets.

Prices are lower because they are made out of the US. Epiphones are made in Korea and China. Fenders are made around the world and there is a custom shop in Japan. USA Fenders cost way more than the rest followed by Japan then Mexico and so on. Mass produced guitars have issues which is why even expensive Gibsons have issues out of the box. There was a time they were all hand made. Now they computer cut Les Paul bodies 12 at a time (according to a factory video I have from 2008. 335s are made in a different spot). Mass production allows things to fall through the cracks. Can't pay too much attention to each piece if they are being cranked out.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I never had any trouble with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. (I bought it new and paid less than $560! LP Pro is $499 + tax on Guitarcenter.com, and you can always find coupons for GC that'll make that plus tax disappear . . . but, I digress.) However, I bought my ES-335 Pro used (for $299, with hard case) and when I got it, it had several fret buzz issues. I called the GC where it came from, and told the manager that there wasn't anyway for me to tell from the picture and listing that there were buzz issues. He immediately called my local GC, told them to do a set up on it for no charge. The tech was very helpful, filed and re-glued a couple frets, and returned it to factory set up. It's been great since.

I know people knock on GC for being a big box store, but any time I have had an issue, they have been great about resolving it to my satisfaction.

• Like 1

I never had any trouble with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. (I bought it new and paid less than $560! LP Pro is $499 + tax on Guitarcenter.com, and you can always find coupons for GC that'll make that plus tax disappear . . . but, I digress.) However, I bought my ES-335 Pro used (for $299, with hard case) and when I got it, it had several fret buzz issues. I called the GC where it came from, and told the manager that there wasn't anyway for me to tell from the picture and listing that there were buzz issues. He immediately called my local GC, told them to do a set up on it for no charge. The tech was very helpful, filed and re-glued a couple frets, and returned it to factory set up. It's been great since.

I know people knock on GC for being a big box store, but any time I have had an issue, they have been great about resolving it to my satisfaction.

The LP Pro I got is listed at 519.99 on guitarcenter.com, and taxes brought it up to $560 (or so). When I called about the issue the people at GC were very accommodating, telling me that I can take it back to the guitar tech for free as many times as necessary to get it right (or return the guitar). But the guitar tech seemed to indicate that I was manufacturing the buzzing...or playing in a way to deliberately get a buzz. I'll go back tomorrow or Sunday and have her look at it again. Sometime I want to play more aggressively, and I don't want to hear the buzzing.

Edited by LedRush

The LP Pro I got is listed at 519.99 on guitarcenter.com, and taxes brought it up to $560 (or so). When I called about the issue the people at GC were very accommodating, telling me that I can take it back to the guitar tech for free as many times as necessary to get it right (or return the guitar). But the guitar tech seemed to indicate that I was manufacturing the buzzing...or playing in a way to deliberately get a buzz. I'll go back tomorrow or Sunday and have her look at it again. Sometime I want to play more aggressively, and I don't want to hear the buzzing.

Is it buzzing through the amp or just buzzing when you're playing not plugged in?

Is it buzzing through the amp or just buzzing when you're playing not plugged in?

I was just about to ask the same thing.

• Like 1

Just the guitar, I think. If the volume is high enough, I barely hear it. What does it mean either way?

Edited by LedRush

Just the guitar, I think. If the volume is high enough, I barely hear it. What does it mean either way?

If it's doing it through the amp, that means it's more of an issue and it definitely needs a fret leveling.

So, the guitar tech was unable (or unwilling) to get rid of the fret buzzing, and on the recommendation of the guitar center staff, I returned it. In the meantime, I have been playing a lot more lately. It seems my old acoustic was not ready for this and the bridge is starting to come off. I have brought it in for a repair estimate, but just in case it is dead, does anyone have any recommendations for an acoustic?

The old acoustic was a Washburn D-10n, which I believe they don't make any more. I know even less about acoustics than I do about electrics, and got this guitar on a recommendation in 1995-6. I always enjoyed it and would like to get something substantially similar. If I were to get something different, I would look for perhaps a cutaway or something with a thinner neck as my arthritis makes spanning around the neck much harder than back in the day.

Yamaha makes some nice inexpensive acoustics. You'd be surprised what you can get for the price. There are some decent Epiphone acoustics based upon Gibson models. You gotta play them though. I have a pair of Martins myself that I got used for around $500 per. Anything with an X in the model number is made of composite material which is a bit harsh sounding but can look very nice. Fender also makes some decent acoustics. Dean acoustics are also nice for the price.

Yamaha makes some nice inexpensive acoustics. You'd be surprised what you can get for the price. There are some decent Epiphone acoustics based upon Gibson models. You gotta play them though. I have a pair of Martins myself that I got used for around $500 per. Anything with an X in the model number is made of composite material which is a bit harsh sounding but can look very nice. Fender also makes some decent acoustics. Dean acoustics are also nice for the price.

In my opinion, this is the one that can go more dramatically wrong than any other brand spectrum. The cheaper Fender guitars are just about the worst things I have ever played / heard, whereas a cheaper Epiphone (Gibson) or cheaper Jasmine (Takamine) or not too bad. I agree with the first point, that a Yamaha makes several decent entry guitars. However, all that said, some of the things for electrics absolutely do not apply to acoustics.

- You absolutely must play them to compare, because your ear is the one you need to satisfy, combined with how the action and neck size feel to you.

- The type and age of the strings make a MUCH bigger difference on acoustics than on electrics.

- You can be perfectly satisfied with a lower end electric guitar, if you have new strings, get the set up to your liking, and use an amp to compensate for tonal issues; i.e. if you're going to spend down, do it on the electric, putting your extra money into the acoustic.

- Older acoustic guitars can actually improve in tone with age, depending on the Spruce grain in the top

I used to love my old Cort Earth 100. I still have it and play it, but then I got my Breedlove Atlas a few years ago. No comparison.