Best One-Two Punch - Rush or Queen's Two Classics

The Cat 3

Best One-Two Punch - Rush or Queen's Classics?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better Rush's A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres or Queen's A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races

• Rush's A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres
    • Queen's A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races

OK, this isn't a poll to ask what is your favourite of the two choices, but rather, what are the best one-two punch between...

Rush's A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres

and

Queen's A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races

...four of my all time favourite albums, but the tip of the hat goes to Queen in my book.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

Classics

But I voted A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres as they are a bit more complete

I love Queen, esp that era, but there are some songs here and there off those 2 albums that are borderline - even less

There is no way I can't choose anything that involves AFTK and teaming up with Hemispheres it's a no brainer for me. If you had hooked it up with 2112 my answer would be the same. Just to great and I love Queen and especially those two... :codger:
  • Like 2

Queen I find is insanely overrated. Besides Mercury's voice, i've never got what the big deal was with them.

Did you actually type that shit in, or is your account hijacked? Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 5

Queen I find is insanely overrated. Besides Mercury's voice, i've never got what the big deal was with them.

Did you actually type that shit in, or is your account hijacked?

Nope, no hijack. I typed that :yes:

Is it the eclectic nature of the music? Queen is a revelation to me. Every song is different, and lives in it's own universe. Never poorly done. Always well produced. Always leaning to art for art's sake Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

Is it the eclectic nature of the music? Queen is a revelation to me. Every song is different, and lives in it's own universe. Never poorly done. Always well produced. Always leaning to art for art's sake

Queen has never done anything for me. Not sure what it is exactly? Except for Bohemian Rhapsody i've never heard anything else from them that I cared for. If you love them, that's great, I have no problem with that.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Is it the eclectic nature of the music? Queen is a revelation to me. Every song is different, and lives in it's own universe. Never poorly done. Always well produced. Always leaning to art for art's sake

Queen has never done anything for me. Not sure what it is exactly? Except for Bohemian Rhapsody i've never heard anything else from them that I cared for.

Man I'm sitting here thinking to myself "what can i do to show this dude what amazing things Queen could do".

Nothing for you? This...nothing for you?

• Like 1

Queen was composed of such equally talented people, who LOVED one another. They were brothers...so different in tastes but made they it work. Brian May--a visionary player. Freddy was able to fit whatever need the band lacked. Have you listened to much of their music? Or have you just heard the popular stuff?
  • Like 1

Queen has never done anything for me. Not sure what it is exactly? Except for Bohemian Rhapsody i've never heard anything else from them that I cared for.

Man I'm sitting here thinking to myself "what can i do to show this dude what amazing things Queen could do".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU

Nope, nothing.

I listened to the song three times to give it a fair shot. It an OK tune but that's it.

You'll have to do much better than that if you want to try and convert me into a fan.

Nope, nothing.

I listened to the song three times to give it a fair shot. It an OK tune but that's it.

You'll have to do much better than that if you want to try and convert me into a fan.

Well, at least we have this in common

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxlpFSCUYc

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdrKGhQUpWA

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ONXlI2k0k

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Nope, nothing.

Your taste is impeccable like always, TM! :heart: :heart: :heart: '39, ever since I was in high school. I loved it even more when I learned more about Brian May being an astrophysicist and understanding cool weird stuff :) Thanks for posting the video, I enjoyed it greatly.

The poll is hard. Queen's NATO and DATR and then AFTK and Hemispheres are two entirely different animals; all four are wonderful by bands at the top of their game but Queen has always written more "upbeat" and with more of a pop sound; different type of sound but just as good, while Rush is still pretty prog on these two albums. I don't think you can compare the two side by side fairly.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Oh dear. You could have picked any pair of Queen's albums between Queen II and News Of The World to contend against any of Rush's albums between 2112 and Signals and I would still be in the exact same dilemma. My two favorite bands, each with their best and least amazing albums from their most classic era (Queen fans will kill me for calling ADATR their least amazing and Rush fans will kill me for calling Hems their least amazing, speaking solely of the classic eras of each band, but I have the exact same problem with each, which I can go into if anyone calls me out on this). This is not really fair, but this is precisely why I have my favorite bands ranked in an order if favoritude (apparently that's a word!). Since Queen is my number one band, ANATO is my number one album, Freddie is my number one singer, Brian is quite possibly my number one guitarist, and Bohemian Rhapsody is my number one song, I have to side with ANATO into ADATR. ANATO is everything Queen ever were in the best way possible, and ADATR, while not nearly as exciting, spontaneous, or lively as its predecessor, has a certain beauty Queen had rarely before implemented in such vast quantities before and they rarely would after which begs for repeated listens.

BUT, as official unofficial ambassador of the majesty that is A Farewell To Kings, I must say, AFTK is quite possibly my second favorite album of all time and the only real reason why ANATO edges it out is Bohemian Rhapsody, which is superior to Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 on its very own. Nevertheless, almost nothing else is worthy of standing anywhere near the majesty that is A Farewell To Kings.

• Like 3

oh god no .... '39 is not going to convert anyone

I love Queen and '39 does nothing for me

With the exception of I'm In Love With My Car, Queen starts to sink without Freddie on lead vocals

AFTK and Hemispheres all the way.

My last try

Stone Cold Crazy

PRESS THE LIKE BUTTON DAMNIT

• Like 5

Queen are intensely overrated.

I actually hate them aside from Innuendo, but I respect their influence and legacy even though their music makes me want to stab my ears.

They really, really annoy me.

Rush all the way on this one, and it would be them even if the double choice was RTB or CP.

• Like 3