Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

The Big 4 Most Overrated all time:

Nirvana

Aerosmith

Doors

Guns and roses

Can't agree on GnR. First music that felt real to me in a few years when it hit in the midst of the bullshit that passed for rock then.

That's how I feel about Nirvana.

I would go with:

Rolling Stones (probably the most overrated band in history)

The Beatles (2 great albums, many great pop songs, and a shitload of filler)

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Any modern heavy metal band

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

You have several bands on there that are about as close to a consensus "properly rated" as one could imagine someone compiling.

Consensus meaning someone at a mainstream music publication? In order for someone to think that a band is overrated, wouldn't there have to be some people or subset of people which generally agree on a rating that you disagree with?

Consensus pretty much across the board. Most of the bands you listed were both critically and commercially successful. Alot of the bands you listed have longevity and their popularity survived many trends and fads. A lot of the bands you listed pushed the envelope artisically, expanding on how music is created and marketed and listened to.Many of the bands you listed crossed genres and appealed to differenct audiences and demographics. All of this can be looked at objectively. I'm not an Eagles fan, but I know how successful they are and I know they contributed to music in many significant ways.

Hard to overrate a band that has one of top selling albums ever. Oversold? Maybe.

Seriously? That makes it much easier. Over rated doesn't mean not excellent.

If an "excellent" band can be "overrated" you need to put down the semantics pipe.

Why on earth would you not consider an excellent band overrated if people rate them far higher than you would?

Now you get why I listed Jimmy Page. :)

I said, "GOOD DAY!"

It took me a few seconds to pull up the movie, but I got it!

Are the Greatful Dead really over-rated? People don't really talk about their music so much as their fan/tour experience..

People like to crack jokes but no one. I repeat no one ever has taken an improvisational rock, roots, jazz ensemble out on the road and headlined stadiums. Sure they had lots of hokey, silly material but their skills as instrumentalists and as a creative ensemble were never matched.

• Like 1

Sure they had lots of hokey, silly material

Pish posh I say to you, sir, pish posh!

Pride of Cucamonga is essential listening.

What is El Paso??

It's an old Marty Robbins song, as far as I know.

It was just taken over by some wild old hippie outlaws. ;)

To me, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana are very similar and end up in the overrated category. They're the pure definition of 'flash in the pan' and don't deserve the adoration for such a small output of material. The difference between Nirvana and Hendrix, who also had a small output of material, is that Nirvana's influence was limited to the 'grunge' era and is largely irrelevent beyond that era.

I saw the Nirvana Exhibit at the EMP Musuem in Seattle a few months ago and you'd think they were anointing them as saints.

Speaking of overrated...the EMP Museum was largely crap as well.

To me, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana are very similar and end up in the overrated category. They're the pure definition of 'flash in the pan' and don't deserve the adoration for such a small output of material. The difference between Nirvana and Hendrix, who also had a small output of material, is that Nirvana's influence was limited to the 'grunge' era and is largely irrelevent beyond that era.

I saw the Nirvana Exhibit at the EMP Musuem in Seattle a few months ago and you'd think they were anointing them as saints.

Overrated? For some and not for some. Anyway, despite the small output of material, both the bands you mentioned are still relevant today. The output is small, but the influence is huge. There's no way you can objectively say the influence of Nirvana is irrelevant beyond their era when, 20 years later, they are still being listened too and discussed. And the Sex Pistols defined an era and an attitude that still inspires people.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Overrated? For some and not for some. Anyway, despite the small output of material, both the bands you mentioned are still relevant today. The output is small, but the influence is huge. There's no way you can objectively say the influence of Nirvana is irrelevant beyond their era when, 20 years later, they are still being listened too and discussed. And the Sex Pistols defined and era and an attitude that still inspires people.

Spot on

Overrated? For some and not for some. Anyway, despite the small output of material, both the bands you mentioned are still relevant today. The output is small, but the influence is huge. There's no way you can objectively say the influence of Nirvana is irrelevant beyond their era when, 20 years later, they are still being listened too and discussed. And the Sex Pistols defined and era and an attitude that still inspires people.

Spot on

Same. I'm with ReRushed. And I'm not exactly the biggest fan of either band.

On a side note, I thought the EMP Museum was pretty cool when I went years back. What wasn't to like?

I never liked the Eurythmics, especially that song Sweet Dreams. It's monotonous and poorly written. There's not much to the lyrics. From the beginning to the end of the track she's just repeating the same 4 lines over and over again. I can't believe that Manson covered it. That's one of the worst songs ever written.
  • Like 1