2015-2016 College Football thread

Aikenrooster

Nick Saban has to be the greatest college football coach of all time, now. There are more teams in 1a, or FBS, as they like to call it, and scholarship limitations, and you have to play 15 games, now, and win a minimum of 14, or go undefeated.

Bear Bryant had players sitting the bench, back in the old days, who would have been starters at other schools, because there were no limitations, and I don't think any season he ever coached was more than 11 games, including the bowls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Clemson fought valiantly. Very good game. Just didn't go their way in the end tonight.

It was a great game- by both teams. And yes, I would love to have seen Clemson win it...but no matter the outcome, it was just a great game to watch.

• Like 1

Clemson losing is just more sauce for the bitter Oklahoma University goose.

I say it was bitter for Michigan State to have been so soundly thrashed by the Tide after being Ohio State's only loss of the season, by three points.

Oklahoma lost to Texas, who won a whopping five games this year.

Ohio State loses to the number five team in the country, by three stinking points...and yet Oklahoma gets into the CFP.

(You can tell I'm bitter still...I may appear nonsensical to some, but...damnit, you know?).

• Like 2

I say it was bitter for Michigan State to have been so soundly thrashed by the Tide after being Ohio State's only loss of the season, by three points.

Ohio State loses to the number five team in the country, by three stinking points...and yet Oklahoma gets into the CFP.

(You can tell I'm bitter still...I may appear nonsensical to some, but...damnit, you know?).

I share your pain.

College teams need to cut or eliminate the weak opponent games at the start of the season, and the NCAA needs a legitimate playoff system (say 16 teams) to eliminate all the Toilet Bowl games at the end of the season.

Ah, to dream!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Talking about conferences as a whole is no different than talking about the races as a whole in the political realm.

That is a very silly thing to say, imo. I am making a mental note to get around to explaining why later.

Nick Saban has to be the greatest college football coach of all time, now. There are more teams in 1a, or FBS, as they like to call it, and scholarship limitations, and you have to play 15 games, now, and win a minimum of 14, or go undefeated.

Bear Bryant had players sitting the bench, back in the old days, who would have been starters at other schools, because there were no limitations, and I don't think any season he ever coached was more than 11 games, including the bowls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe the greatest college football coach of all time never had the fortune of coaching at a historically powerhouse program like Bama, but did more with less talent? Who is to say?

• Like 1

Talking about conferences as a whole is no different than talking about the races as a whole in the political realm.

That is a very silly thing to say, imo. I am making a mental note to get around to explaining why later.

I look forward to your argument, as usual. At least I know it will be coherent and logical. That's a compliment.

Well you get Ohio State @ Oklahoma week 1 next year. I was not a believer in the Sooners either , but really the Buckeyes shoudn't have been in the playoff last year losing to VT at home.

Well you get Ohio State @ Oklahoma week 1 next year. I was not a believer in the Sooners either , but really the Buckeyes shoudn't have been in the playoff last year losing to VT at home.

Why?

They had a red shirt freshman start the game. Then they kicked a** after that loss. And won it all with a third string QB.

Edited by troutman

Maybe the greatest college football coach of all time never had the fortune of coaching at a historically powerhouse program like Bama, but did more with less talent? Who is to say?

You could make an argument for Bill Snyder using that logic...or Eddie Robinson for that matter...or even any coach at Indiana with a winning record.

Edited by laughedatbytime

You could make an argument for Bill Snyder using that logic...or Eddie Robinson for that matter...or even any coach at Indiana with a winning record.

What makes a great college football coach is the ability to sell the school and athletics programs to the recruits. The assistants develop the talent.

The only valid point that DPR made was that Alabama has history. They had history before Bear Bryant, too.

Funny you mentioned Eddie Robinson. I always thought it was hilarious that NBC went through the pains of being politically correct and televising the yearly game between Southern and Grambling, which was moved to the Louisiana Superdome, in New Orleans, for the grand occasion. Except for the bands and the players' families, the stadium was completely empty, every year.

DPR, I'm still waiting for your explanation on this. BTW, I sort of joined the Gamecock Club. I sort of like the way things have been headed lately, and I want to contribute from now on, now that I'm able to. I don't know if I'll buy football season tickets or not, but, based on coach Muschamp's actions, I think we're gonna be in Atlanta in a few years playing for the title. Having said that, I'm under no illusions about some instant success. That's just not reality.

Conference bowl records so far:

SEC (the Beast): 8-2, one game still left (Bama vs Clemson, of course)

Pac-12: 6-2, 2 games left tonight, both vs Big 12

Big 10: done for season at 4-5

ACC: 4-5, one game left (Clemson v Bama)

Big 12: 1-4 (two games left tonight, both against Pac -12)

I love stats, but this is one stat that I loathe. Conference bowl records prove nothing.

They are the best evidence for comparing relative strengths of conferences in any given year.

This does not mean that any given team in a particular conference is any good. Take for example the woeful Gamecocks this year, who were a sucky team.

However, bowl records are not totally useless, meaningless stats, as you would have it. They are useful when it comes to the question of comparing conferences, as conferences, to one another. They don't mean anything more than that, but they are strong evidence for that, the best evidence there is when making such comparisons.

I love stats, but this is one stat that I loathe. Conference bowl records prove nothing.

They are the best evidence for comparing relative strengths of conferences in any given year.

This does not mean that any given team in a particular conference is any good. Take for example the woeful Gamecocks this year, who were a sucky team.

However, bowl records are not totally useless, meaningless stats, as you would have it. They are useful when it comes to the question of comparing conferences, as conferences, to one another. They don't mean anything more than that, but they are strong evidence for that, the best evidence there is when making such comparisons.

How about the inter conference games during the season? How about the fact that some conferences rarely play teams from other conferences? Did any SEC team play a PAC 12 team at all this past season? How can we really compare those two conferences from top to bottom.

I don't believe that you can line up the teams from one conference and the teams from another conference and assume that any of the teams outside of the top 2 are equal. For example, take Duke and Texas A%M. They had identifical records: 8-5 overall, and 4-4 in conference play. Don't you think Texas A%M is clearly better?

Maybe I'm wrong about all this. I'd like your honest take.

How about the inter conference games during the season? How about the fact that some conferences rarely play teams from other conferences? Did any SEC team play a PAC 12 team at all this past season? How can we really compare those two conferences from top to bottom.

I don't believe that you can line up the teams from one conference and the teams from another conference and assume that any of the teams outside of the top 2 are equal. For example, take Duke and Texas A%M. They had identifical records: 8-5 overall, and 4-4 in conference play. Don't you think Texas A%M is clearly better?

http://www.usatoday....015/conference/

Edit: Even more interesting http://sagarin.com/sports/sports.html

Edited by Slack jaw gaze

Settles That question. TAMU is 25 spots higher than Duke.

Settles That question. TAMU is 25 spots higher than Duke.

Maybe not as definitively as you might think...The difference between Duke and A&M in the Sagarin rankings is about the same as Clemson and Alabama...A&M is clearly better, but they'd probably only win about 2/3s of the time or maybe 3/4s of the time. It's not like they're on two different planets.

Interestingly, Michigan State at #17 and Ohio State at #3. OSU should have been picked over them. Head-to-head is wildly over-rated if you are looking at the "body of work". Actually, I believe they should have kept the BCS selection procedure. The problem wasn't which teams were selected, the problem was they only selected two teams. The computer ranking strips away all the human bias that we all have.

Interestingly, Michigan State at #17 and Ohio State at #3. OSU should have been picked over them. Head-to-head is wildly over-rated if you are looking at the "body of work". Actually, I believe they should have kept the BCS selection procedure. The problem wasn't which teams were selected, the problem was they only selected two teams. The computer ranking strips away all the human bias that we all have.

That's WHY they did away with the computers. They WANT the human bias. That keeps non traditional teams OUT.

The greatest moment in Iowa State football history....great job, guys! :clap:

A spring break trip in March turned into a life-saving occasion for a group of Iowa State football players.

Several members of the Cyclones saved a woman from drowning after she drove her car into a canal in South Padre Island, Texas, on March 16.

A police report detailing what happened was released Thursday, and one of the Iowa State players, senior linebacker Anthony Lazard, recounted the moments in an article published by The Des Moines Register.

Defensive back Josh Jahlas was one of several quick-acting Iowa State football players who rescued a woman submerged in a sinking car during their spring break in South Padre Island, Texas. Reese Strickland/USA TODAY Sports

Lazard told the Register that Josh Jahlas, a senior linebacker, was standing on the balcony of his hotel room when he saw a car go into Laguna Madre Bay. Jahlas alerted his friends, who quickly sprung into action.

According to the police report, Jack Spreen (a senior linebacker), Joe Doran (freshman LB in 2015-16) and Lazard raced out of the hotel and toward the water, jumping in and swimming to the car. Once there, they saw the woman -- later identified as 22-year-old Luisa Maria Castro -- unsuccessfully attempting to break the windshield glass as the water rose inside.

"She was like, 'Get me out! Get me out! Get me out!'" Lazard told the Register.

"I was getting worried that we were going to watch this girl drown to death, because no matter how hard we were hitting it, it [the glass] wasn't cracking or spidering for a while."

After the players failed to break the driver's side window, Spreen told police that they created a large enough hole in the damaged windshield to pull Castro out and safely to shore.

"That car completely sank in less than a minute, and if not for them jumping into the water and pulling the driver out, she would most certainly have drowned," witnessing officer Michael Schiltz said in a statement released by the South Padre Island Public Information Officer.

Three other Cyclones -- Jahlas (a senior linebacker), Spencer Benton (a sophomore defensive end) and Matt Swoyer (a junior defensive back in 2015-16) -- helped the woman once she got to shore.

Castro, 22, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, police said.

She called the Iowa State players heroes for their actions.

"I have no words to express how appreciative I am of them," Castro said in an interview with the Register. "Even when I messaged them, I still felt that the words or what I was saying to them to thank them and how grateful I was -- it just felt like that wasn't enough."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15108817/iowa-state-cyclones-players-save-woman-drowning-spring-break