Three Albums of Production Complaints

JohnRogers

How come everyone complains about the production on Clockwork Angels but Presto and Hold Your Fire get a free pass? The production on those albums makes them sound so wimpy. The guitar is like something out of a cheesy 90s jingle. I'm much rather the loud production of Clockwork Angels than the wimpy fluff production on Presto or Hold Your Fire.
  • Like 1

How come everyone complains about the production on Clockwork Angels but Presto and Hold Your Fire get a free pass? The production on those albums makes them sound so wimpy. The guitar is like something out of a cheesy 90s jingle. I'm much rather the loud production of Clockwork Angels than the wimpy fluff production on Presto or Hold Your Fire.

Although the guitar was wimpy on HYF and Presto, there was separation and clarity which CA lacks.

• Like 2

As much as I can hear the flaws with VT...not the remix....no way do Rush or FBN sound better overall...especially not better than Clockwork....the drum sound of FBN alone is abysmal....duct taped dead as hell slingerland close miking awfulness....

Rush needs to get away from meathead psuedo metal dude producers....Rush shouldn't be aiming for a nu metal sound but should have someone like Steven Wilson..Robert Fripp...Andy Summers...in the booth....some maturity to go with the muscle....and quit brickwalling the shit already...

Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 1

As much as I can hear the flaws with VT...not the remix....no way do Rush or FBN sound better overall...especially not better than Clockwork....the drum sound of FBN alone is abysmal....duct taped dead as hell slingerland close miking awfulness....

Rush needs to get away from meathead psuedo metal dude producers....Rush shouldn't be aiming for a nu metal sound but should have someone like Steven Wilson..Robert Fripp...Andy Summers...in the booth....some maturity to go with the muscle....and quit brickwalling the shit already...

Funny how two people can listen to the same thing and come away with totally different opinions. I *LOVE* the upfront raw drum sound (and Neil overplaying everything) on FBN! Always have, always will.

• Like 1

Because they're still listenable. The clusterfuck brickwalled thick sound on CA with too much going on in almost every song is so tiring to listen to after only a couple songs. I can't do it, still haven't sat through all of CA (or S&As...or VT) start to finish. It's exhausting.

• Like 2

Listened to CA yesterday-not heard it for a while. Production for me sounds great, clarity with the instruments, drums sound meaty and the bass is a little more upfront than on recent albums.

Playing proper audio through a decent hi-fi set up helps too.

• Like 2

Because they're still listenable. The clusterfuck brickwalled thick sound on CA with too much going on in almost every song is so tiring to listen to after only a couple songs. I can't do it, still haven't sat through all of CA (or S&As...or VT) start to finish. It's exhausting.

I'm not sure why you feel that way, I listen to Clockwork Angels and get excited. The bass tone is incredible, the drums are powerful and the guitar sounds like real guitar. I can't stand the production on Presto or Hold Your Fire because the elevator music production disables me from taking any of it seriously.

I'm not sure why you feel that way, I listen to Clockwork Angels and get excited. The bass tone is incredible, the drums are powerful and the guitar sounds like real guitar. I can't stand the production on Presto or Hold Your Fire because the elevator music production disables me from taking any of it seriously.

I personally think HYF has some of the best sound of almost any Rush album. Are you sure your dislike isn't based more on the heavy use of synths than actual production?

• Like 1

Upfront drums are fine.....my problem with FBN is the extreme overdampening..."thump thump thumpity tud thum"....the fills in Bytor sound like a damn pillow fight....

Neil went with less and less dampening...the DWs sustain like crazy....but Nick final mixes bury hat fact...just watch the S&A making of thing and notice how much more natural sustain there is...

Drum sounds like FBN work in two contexts..70s rock...or someone trying to be retro...that's it...live drums work in every context you can think of....

Upfront drums are fine.....my problem with FBN is the extreme overdampening..."thump thump thumpity tud thum"....the fills in Bytor sound like a damn pillow fight....

Neil went with less and less dampening...the DWs sustain like crazy....but Nick final mixes bury hat fact...just watch the S&A making of thing and notice how much more natural sustain there is...

Drum sounds like FBN work in two contexts..70s rock...or someone trying to be retro...that's it...live drums work in every context you can think of....

I'm not a fan of the DW sound and sold mine after only a few months of playing them. As an artpiece they were beautiful to look at, though!

I personally think HYF has some of the best sound of almost any Rush album. Are you sure your dislike isn't based more on the heavy use of synths than actual production?

Yes I am quite sure. Granted the problem is greater in Presto but in Hold Your Fire the production sounds like cheesy fluff.

Too bad they weren't bothered by the production of Roll the Bones.

That album sounds soft as hell and the production is part of the reason I don't listen to it very often.

They were. I have a RTB era Guitar Player interview with Geddy mentioning his disappointment in how soft the album sounded

Too bad they weren't bothered by the production of Roll the Bones.

That album sounds soft as hell and the production is part of the reason I don't listen to it very often.

I know Presto and RTB get a lot of hate for being "thin sounding" records. But I think that those two albums happen to sound really crisp and clear also. If they were to draw more attention to the bass and guitar on both albums it would be a lot better, since the drums seem to be the most predominant instrument on those albums imo.

• Like 2

Rush.......as much as i love them.........has become a group surrounded by yes men.

oh yes this sounds great. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will eventually go to your head no matter who you are.

Mick

and that is exactly why I don't like Nick as a producer. He's such an obvious fanboy he doesn't seem to have it in him to tell the band when something sucks. (hence most of the boring dreck of the Snakes album)

I can't get my head around this 'Snakes & Arrows is boring' thing!. It's possibly the only Rush album where I don't need to skip ONCE.

• Like 1

Rush.......as much as i love them.........has become a group surrounded by yes men.

Mick

and that is exactly why I don't like Nick as a producer. He's such an obvious fanboy he doesn't seem to have it in him to tell the band when something sucks. (hence most of the boring dreck of the Snakes album)

I can't get my head around this 'Snakes & Arrows is boring' thing!. It's possibly the only Rush album where I don't need to skip ONCE.

Listen to anything from 74' - 84'. There is nothing to skip there. After those years there is plenty... :codger:
  • Like 1

Mick

Yeah, S&A is a really good and sounds great. When it came out I recall hearing new things every time I played it, hence the "prize every time" Neil wrote about. It was true! Boring it is not

I wonder how many people who complain about sound quality downloaded the shitty 128 kbps compressed version? Maybe it's not always the RUSH album.

• Like 1

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/853/808/6f3.jpg

I don't think they care.........They Fixed VT somewhat, lol

only to do it again with CA........Yea they REALLY Care.

thanks boys.

if i sound bitter on this issue i am, lol

Mick

why are you bitter ?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/853/808/6f3.jpg

So I suppose you like listening to a jackhammer as well? :)

The problem occurs with the sonic frequencies overlapping. When that happens you start to get noise. If you listen to any well produced album in "any" genre you should be able to pick out each of the instruments and nothing gets muffled or buried in the mix.

Edited by EagleMoon

give them time to grow on you. I felt that way initially, but now I love both VT & clockwork angels.

HYF to me sounds okay as does Presto, I actually like the way that album sounds. Can't say the same for RTB.

CA sounds awesome imo. there is just a lot of musical information to digest but not ear killing like part of VT. which is why after Earthshine I kind of tune the rest of it out. Even with the Remix this is so, maybe its just because thats the last song on the album I love.

S&A has good mixing and production. Clockwork Angels, not so much. Vapor Trails original... DEFINITELY not.

I agree with the posters here who defend Rupert Hine's work on Presto and Roll the Bones. It's not super-loud hard rock production, and I like that. It gives a different angle on the band. If every album had the same heavy, syrupy tone, it would get awfully boring! If they were to record another studio album, I would like to hear something a bit more crisp and transparent. I think S&A was a step in that direction, though it's still pretty thick.

Mick

Yeah, S&A is a really good and sounds great. When it came out I recall hearing new things every time I played it, hence the "prize every time" Neil wrote about. It was true! Boring it is not

I wonder how many people who complain about sound quality downloaded the shitty 128 kbps compressed version? Maybe it's not always the RUSH album.

I totally agree on that one, especially when :smoke:

• Like 1