Three Albums of Production Complaints

JohnRogers

So since Vapor Trails fans have complained of the sound from the producers choices. If we get another album will something like that be addressed? Is the band aware? Do they care? What question should I be asking?

I doubt they care much. Vapor Trails bothered them, so it makes sense that they fixed it. Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels haven't seemed to bother them when it comes to production, though I remember reading an interview somewhere saying Geddy tried to lay off the vocal layerings on Clockwork Angels, which he did. I don't think they care what we think when it comes to production.

I never found much issue with the production on Snakes and Arrows, honestly. CA's a bit overbearing but not overly loud and disgusting like the original VT.

• Like 4

I doubt they care much. Vapor Trails bothered them, so it makes sense that they fixed it. Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels haven't seemed to bother them when it comes to production, though I remember reading an interview somewhere saying Geddy tried to lay off the vocal layerings on Clockwork Angels, which he did. I don't think they care what we think when it comes to production.

I never found much issue with the production on Snakes and Arrows, honestly. CA's a bit overbearing but not overly loud and disgusting like the original VT.

CA should bother them but I doubt it does. Too much (noise, layering etc) of a 75% really good thing...
  • Like 3

This looks like a nice and comfortable place to sit.

:popcorn:

:LMAO: and of course... :popcorn:

You know how these threads go. :d13:

We can only hope :) . Things have been moving kinda slow around here lately... :eh:
  • Like 1

The problem lies in the mastering too. The digital versions are mastered to have too much loudness at all times. Sadly it's so common nowadays.
  • Like 1

I still would like to know when they go into the studio to work on a new album, who foots the bill? And who pays for the producer?

At this point, their company foots the bill.

I still would like to know when they go into the studio to work on a new album, who foots the bill? And who pays for the producer?

Would you happen to know, or can you give a good estimate, of how much the entire production (including paying the producer) of creating a new album would cost?

Would you happen to know, or can you give a good estimate, of how much the entire production (including paying the producer) of creating a new album would cost?

No idea, but I recall that Permanent Waves era interview with Geddy in which the interview mentioned that Fleetwood Mac had spent a couple of million on Tusk.

Here's a link - 15 most expensive albums http://mentalfloss.com/article/57656/15-albums-cost-fortune-make

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

No idea, but I recall that Permanent Waves era interview with Geddy in which the interview mentioned that Fleetwood Mac had spent a couple of million on Tusk.

Here's a link - 15 most expensive albums http://mentalfloss.c...st-fortune-make

It must cost a couple of million today at least.

I bring this up because I don't think when it comes to production, they are willing to go all out - the sky's the limit.

Vapor Trails was produced at a time when not much money had been coming in Rush-wise for a few years. It could be that a lot of corners were cut to save money on the album.

That's why I am bringing this money issue up. I don't think Ray would be willing to spend a lot of money on an album that could have fallen flat and really spelled the end for Rush.

Just my thoughts. :)

The problem lies in the mastering too. The digital versions are mastered to have too much loudness at all times. Sadly it's so common nowadays.

It really is. Bob Ludwig said that he usually presents 3 sets of masters to the artist and they usually pick the hot, compressed version. So thats dumb.

• Like 1

It's all going to depend on where they record it and who they use as a producer/engineer. You've got rental costs for the studio, you've got to pay the producer, engineers... etc. Recording an album even as cheaply as you can get one done today is going to be ~ $5000 -$10,000 and that's if an artist only spends a few days in the studio and doesn't do more than just basic recording. I would imagine they spend quite a bit more than this because they would spend more than just a few days in the studio. They can afford to rent out a place for a month or more and work on the music while they are there.

• Like 1

It's all going to depend on where they record it and who they use as a producer/engineer. You've got rental costs for the studio, you've got to pay the producer, engineers... etc. Recording an album even as cheaply as you can get one done today is going to be ~ $5000 -$10,000 and that's if an artist only spends a few days in the studio and doesn't do more than just basic recording. I would imagine they spend quite a bit more than this because they would spend more than just a few days in the studio. They can afford to rent out a place for a month or more and work on the music while they are there.

Also, if the band adds things like an orchestra or choir to their songs, you're looking at extra money to pay these people to record their parts. Studio rental costs seems to be the big financial burden when it comes to recording an album. Black Sabbath recorded their first album in six hours because they couldn't afford anything else.

I've known some people who have played in local bands, so i've heard how much of a financial issue it can be to afford studio time just to record a few songs. Obviously, a band like Rush is much more financially stable and can afford to take more time to get their albums finished now and not have it cripple them. Still, I think it was something special years ago when bands like Rush and others used to get a new album out every year. They just went into the studio and got it done. There was no messing around, no filler, just a band getting to the point and releasing something great.

• Like 5

Also, if the band adds things like an orchestra or choir to their songs, you're looking at extra money to pay these people to record their parts. Studio rental costs seems to be the big financial burden when it comes to recording an album. Black Sabbath recorded their first album in six hours because they couldn't afford anything else.

I've known some people who have played in local bands, so i've heard how much of a financial issue it can be to afford studio time just to record a few songs. Obviously, a band like Rush is much more financially stable and can afford to take more time to get their albums finished now and not have it cripple them. Still, I think it was something special years ago when bands like Rush and others used to get a new album out every year. They just went into the studio and got it done. There was no messing around, no filler, just a band getting to the point and releasing something great.

The Moody Blues recorded Days of Future Passed in one week.

• Like 2

I bring this up because I don't think when it comes to production, they are willing to go all out - the sky's the limit.

Vapor Trails was produced at a time when not much money had been coming in Rush-wise for a few years. It could be that a lot of corners were cut to save money on the album.

That's why I am bringing this money issue up. I don't think Ray would be willing to spend a lot of money on an album that could have fallen flat and really spelled the end for Rush.

Loads of smaller bands have great sounding albums.

Money is not the problem.

• Like 2

Exactly. Money after a certain point doesn't necessarily buy you quality. That's up to the artist and the engineers.

Exactly. Money after a certain point doesn't necessarily buy you quality. That's up to the artist and the engineers.

Then that scratches that.

So the albums sound bad because ??????

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

One thing I noticed about VT is that it sounds contained. There's no fullness to the sound. It sounds like it was recorded in a cave. And that's a shame because there are some good songs on the album.

This is, of course, my amateur opinion. If you, on the other hand, think the album is the cat's meow, fine.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I think the fault lies with the band.

Mick Raskinjacksonflowerpower has produced some very good sounding albums, including SA.

After VT, Rush should have known better. And they haven't come forward to complain or apologise, so either they subscribe to the Yukon Blade Grinder, or they are too busy rolling in the Benjamin's.

• Like 1

I think the fault lies with the band.

Mick Raskinjacksonflowerpower has produced some very good sounding albums, including SA.

After VT, Rush should have known better. And they haven't come forward to complain or apologise, so either they subscribe to the Yukon Blade Grinder, or they are too busy rolling in the Benjamin's.

They subscribe to the YBG. I know because I sent them the complimentary umbrellas (it says on them Proud Reader of the Yukon Blade Grinder) and backscratchers we used to offer to entice folks to subscribe to the paper. Apparently it worked with Alex, Geddy and Neil. They all subscribed. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1