Jump to content


Street Preachers


40 replies to this topic

#21 HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 13 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 August 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert?  LOL!!

Sorry!  I couldn't "RESIST!"

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film!  Rush is in it, you know.



I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers.  I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content).  Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band.  I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times.  Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Sponsored Post

#22 MeanMeanPride

MeanMeanPride

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Rush, of course!

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Nope, but in their place I got half naked people and peddlers people asking me to buy bottled water. Yay, Vegas!

#23 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

    Big Hat Funny!

  • Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

I went to the shows in New Orleans and Las Vegas.

2 cities founded, supported and where it is encouraged to Sin and go to Excess.


I saw NO preachers.

#24 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's It™ Sig

  • Members
  • 15993 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

Was unaware that this was even still a thing.

#25 Stan Getz

Stan Getz

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 122 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Endicott, NY
  • Interests:motorcycling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

I've never noticed them at Rush shows but I always see them at Rolling Stones concerts, even this year. Guess "Sympathy for the Devil" just drives those folks bat shit crazy.

If they saw Jagger's outfit and the opening to that song on this tour oh lordy they would surely think the gates of hell hath opened!

#26 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostHumphreyBear, on 13 August 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 13 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 August 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert?  LOL!!

Sorry!  I couldn't "RESIST!"

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film!  Rush is in it, you know.



I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers.  I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content).  Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band.  I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times.  Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Hi, Humphrey!  I see that you are in Australia, so if you want to order a DVD (which includes loads of bonus footage including the complete Rush interview), you would need to order through the international distributor at
http://nomanifestofilm.com.  Thank you very much for the kind words!

Edited by GeddysMullet, 14 August 2015 - 09:57 AM.


#27 Skin Bag

Skin Bag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 160 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Redmond, WA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 13 August 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostSkin Bag, on 13 August 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

Oh, and did you go to any of the meetups beforehand Robert? I had dinner at the Farmers Union with a table of new Rush friends which was lots of fun.

Hey, I was there at the Farmer's Union but I'm sorry I didn't see you.  It wasn't the best place for a meetup because there was no big area for everyone to stand and mill about, and instead I saw people with Rush shirts scattered at different tables.

I think I saw the preacher people outside the show, but I don't remember for sure.

Wish I had met you there.  I chatted a bit with "calirush" I believe he is a member of this forum.  And that restaurant was nearly as hot as the one we met at in Seattle which surprised me.  I guess restaurants consider air conditioning an unnecessary expense.

#28 Skin Bag

Skin Bag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 160 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Redmond, WA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 13 August 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

I went to the shows in New Orleans and Las Vegas.

2 cities founded, supported and where it is encouraged to Sin and go to Excess.


I saw NO preachers.

Touche!  :lol:

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 13 August 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 August 2015 - 01:28 AM, said:

That DEVIL profile in the STARMAN is really there by the way.  I am sure there is a thread written about it.

I'm guessing it's a right-facing profile formed by the lighter part of starmandude's back?  And he has a l'il dimple?

YEP!!!  BINGO!!!  With a long pointed horn and a long pointed chin.

#30 Skin Bag

Skin Bag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 160 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Redmond, WA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

So it seems they are predominant in the Bay area. I have a theory - just a gut feeling, no real reason for it - that most of these extreme, hard-core fanatic street preachers have an extreme, hard-core back story that they are trying to overcome. Perhaps ex-alcoloholics, drug addicts, or convicts, they need to overcompensate in order to get through the day and so are actually "preaching" to themselves and doing it more for themselves than for others.  I like to think that it is only a stage in their spiritual journey and they will develop a more loving approach to reflect what is in their hearts.

#31 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

The following spoiler contains a teenage Catholic perspective on this thread. If you are concerned this point of view may upset you in some way, please feeel free to ignore it. However, it may be helpful to know I don't like the idea of street preachers outside of rock concerts condeming the music inside either.

Spoiler


#32 CygnusGal

CygnusGal

    Cylon Model No. 2112

  • Members *
  • 5121 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:the space between the mysterious, invisible force lurking in the constellation Cygnus and the destination at unverified jump coordinates 1123.6536.5321
  • Interests:music, books, computers and networking, astronomy, Cylon technology

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

There are always street preachers for lo, the end is nigh ... :sigh:

Ruled
Under
Satan's
Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s.  I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh:  The greatest ever.

One of my favourite Sabbath songs. :haz:


Edited by CygnusGal, 15 August 2015 - 04:39 AM.


#33 HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 14 August 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostHumphreyBear, on 13 August 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 13 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 August 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert?  LOL!!

Sorry!  I couldn't "RESIST!"

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film!  Rush is in it, you know.



I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers.  I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content).  Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band.  I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times.  Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Hi, Humphrey!  I see that you are in Australia, so if you want to order a DVD (which includes loads of bonus footage including the complete Rush interview), you would need to order through the international distributor at
http://nomanifestofilm.com.  Thank you very much for the kind words!

Thanks GM.  A nice shiny bluray is now on it's way down under!  Can't wait to watch the extras.

#34 Sgt.D

Sgt.D

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

That crap is so 1985.

#35 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32232 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostCygnusGal, on 15 August 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

There are always street preachers for lo, the end is nigh ... :sigh:

Ruled
Under
Satan's
Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s.  I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh:  The greatest ever.

One of my favourite Sabbath songs. :haz:



Why would you consider Sabbath a Christian rock band?

Just curious, never heard this view before!

#36 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostHumphreyBear, on 19 August 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 14 August 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostHumphreyBear, on 13 August 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 13 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 August 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

I wonder what the street preachers would say at a Manic Street Preachers concert?  LOL!!

Sorry!  I couldn't "RESIST!"

I'm afraid I simply can't NOT take this opportunity to promote my film!  Rush is in it, you know.



I watched that film not knowing much about The Manic Street Preachers.  I loved it a(and enjoyed the Rush content).  Since watching it a few months ago I have completely fallen in love with this great band.  I now own almost all of their CDs and have watched your film a couple of times.  Sadly I watched it over the interweb but I am keeping my eye out for the DVD and will buy it as soon as I find it.

Thanks a million

Hi, Humphrey!  I see that you are in Australia, so if you want to order a DVD (which includes loads of bonus footage including the complete Rush interview), you would need to order through the international distributor at
http://nomanifestofilm.com.  Thank you very much for the kind words!

Thanks GM.  A nice shiny bluray is now on it's way down under!  Can't wait to watch the extras.

Awesome, thank you so much!  I hope you enjoy it :D

#37 CygnusGal

CygnusGal

    Cylon Model No. 2112

  • Members *
  • 5121 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:the space between the mysterious, invisible force lurking in the constellation Cygnus and the destination at unverified jump coordinates 1123.6536.5321
  • Interests:music, books, computers and networking, astronomy, Cylon technology

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 19 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostCygnusGal, on 15 August 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

There are always street preachers for lo, the end is nigh ... :sigh:

Ruled
Under
Satan's
Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s.  I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh:  The greatest ever.

One of my favourite Sabbath songs. :haz:



Why would you consider Sabbath a Christian rock band?

Just curious, never heard this view before!
Sabbath didn't sing about worshiping Satan (even in NIB, Geezer says it was about even Lucifer can become a better man through the love of a woman).  They dressed in black, wore crosses, had long hair, used freaky photographic effects and mentioned God and Lucifer in their songs, so the religious folks went nuts.

As an example, I'll quote the lyrics to After Forever.  There are other examples.  This is not "devil music".  Geezer Butler was raised Irish Catholic, played around with the devil stuff for a while and as he has stated "... I gave up all that stuff. It scared me sh*tless."  Sabbath's music isn't a call to Satan.  This song is the exact opposite.  It is calling out all of the non-believers.

Lyrics by Terry "Geezer" Butler

Quote

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
that God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.


#38 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9825 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Sabbath was never a christian band but they were never a satanic one either. They did mainly focus on darker song topics, usually christian rock is more positive in its messages. I will say though that After Forever was probably among the first ever christian rock/metal songs ever done. I grew up catholic and have been a huge Sabbath fan most of my life and i've never really seen them as being a christian band. There were too many darker themed songs for that to be the case. They certainly did some things to help influence the christian metal genre though. The song After Forever is definitely one of them.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 21 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.


#39 bathory

bathory

    Book Würm

  • Members *
  • 9561 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

what's weird is that these guys go after the safest, whitest, oldest rock groups! you never see people like this at shows for smaller bands that actually have satanic lyrics (which are always meant to be campy anyway). but they've got their megaphones ready for the motley crue show - like, dude, you're worried some kid's gonna find his old man's cassette of girls, girls, girls and start sacrificing lambs?

Edited by bathory, 21 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.


#40 bathory

bathory

    Book Würm

  • Members *
  • 9561 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 19 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostCygnusGal, on 15 August 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

There are always street preachers for lo, the end is nigh ... :sigh:

Ruled
Under
Satan's
Hand

Red pentagram is clearly satanic (... er, but it's right side up so it's more pentacle than pentagram :unsure: ... shhh... ) plus the naked guy on Hemispheres :tsk:

I remember some religion channel in the '80s.  I can't recall the name of the preacher and his wife, but she sure wore a lot of mascara (as all of the 80s preacher ladies did - it wasn't Tammy Faye who, it turns out, was a genuinely good person, may she rest in peace).

Knights In Satan's Service (they wore scary makeup), Styx was named for the river in the underworld which is bad, Alice Cooper obviously for being dead, Kansas (for some reason), and the usual Black Sabbath lambasting.

Ironically, as I've started the listening to Sabbath in depth, I've come to the conclusion that they were actually a Christian rock band :eh:  The greatest ever.

One of my favourite Sabbath songs. :haz:



Why would you consider Sabbath a Christian rock band?

Just curious, never heard this view before!

it's right there in the lyrics. they're not a "christian rock" band, but they preached the wrath of god more sensibly than the people who were busy burning their albums and ignoring their lyrics.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users