So, I was doing my daily internetting, and found this

Freddy Lee

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/special/rocknroll/0012272.html

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/special/rocknroll/0023469.html

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/special/rocknroll/RockAndRollFollowUp.html

There are minor planets out there by the name of (12272) or Geddylee! Another by the name of (19155) or Lifeson! And another by the name of (23469) or Neilpeart Even f**king scientists are Rush fans! I posted this in Random Samples and not Rush because it seemed to me it would've gotten more interest in here. Also, did anyone else here know about this by any chance?

About (12272) Geddylee

(12272) Geddylee is in a 4.35-year elliptical orbit around the sun ranging in distance from 329.4 million km (at perihelion, closest point to the sun) to 468.2 million km (at aphelion, furthest point from the sun).

The previous perihelion passage occurred on 2008 May 12.6 UT.

The orbit is inclined by 11.7 degrees to the ecliptic plane (the plane of the earth's orbit about the sun).

There is little information on the physical properties of (12272) Geddylee. Even its diameter is uncertain--a range of 6 to 14 km is probable.

You will need a telescope to see this minor planet as its maximum brightness is some 1/4849 of the brightness of the faintest objects that can be seen with the unaided eye.

The diagram below show the orbit of (12272) Geddylee in relation to the major planets in the inner solar system.

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/special/rocknroll/0012272.gif

This view of the inner solar system is seen from the north ecliptic pole. The sun is the yellow star at the center of the image. The blue orbits represent, in increasing distance from the center, the major planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and Jupiter. The position of each major planet at the date indicated at the bottom of the plot is shown by the large circled cross. The orbit of the minor planet is shown in red, with the location of the minor planet (at the date indicated at the bottom of the plot) shown as a white circled cross. From this vantage point the planets revolve around the sun in a counter clockwise direction. The vernal equinox is off to the right. The portion of the minor planet's orbit that is below the plane of the earth's orbit is shaded grey. The perihelion point of the minor planet's orbit is at the end of the white straight line through the sun indicated by "P".

About (23469) Neilpeart

(23469) Neilpeart is in a 4.36-year elliptical orbit around the sun ranging in distance from 320.3 million km (at perihelion, closest point to the sun) to 478.1 million km (at aphelion, furthest point from the sun).

The previous perihelion passage occurred on 2008 Jan. 29.1 UT.

The orbit is inclined by 11.1 degrees to the ecliptic plane (the plane of the earth's orbit about the sun).

There is little information on the physical properties of (23469) Neilpeart. Even its diameter is uncertain--a range of 6 to 13 km is probable.

You will need a telescope to see this minor planet as its maximum brightness is some 1/4967 of the brightness of the faintest objects that can be seen with the unaided eye.

The diagram below show the orbit of (23469) Neilpeart in relation to the major planets in the inner solar system.

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/special/rocknroll/0023469.gif

This view of the inner solar system is seen from the north ecliptic pole. The sun is the yellow star at the center of the image. The blue orbits represent, in increasing distance from the center, the major planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and Jupiter. The position of each major planet at the date indicated at the bottom of the plot is shown by the large circled cross. The orbit of the minor planet is shown in red, with the location of the minor planet (at the date indicated at the bottom of the plot) shown as a white circled cross. From this vantage point the planets revolve around the sun in a counter clockwise direction. The vernal equinox is off to the right. The portion of the minor planet's orbit that is below the plane of the earth's orbit is shaded grey. The perihelion point of the minor planet's orbit is at the end of the white straight line through the sun indicated by "P".

About (19155) Lifeson

Unfortunately, there was no major information or Harvard page for Lifeson...:(

Hope you enjoyed! Stay Freddy!

• Like 4

Even scientists are Rush fans? More like scientists, especially, are Rush fans.

For lack of a better way of putting it, I work with a bunch of rocket scientists and engineers, and a lot of them a big Rush fans.

Don't be so surprised that such smart people are Rush fans.

• Like 6

The only thing that could be better than this is if these stars were actually binary star systems orbiting black holes, like Cygnus X-1.

Nerd.

Takes one to know one :P

• Like 3

This is really cool but not too surprising, all things considered. And yes I'm hearing that old time radio thing in my head after reading that. :LOL:
  • Like 2

That's pretty cool, but i'm not surprised. Pluto's newly discovered moon was named "Styx".

That probably has to do with the fact that Pluto is the Greek God of the Underworld, and you had to cross the River Styx to get from Earth to the Underworld.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool, but i'm not surprised. Pluto's newly discovered moon was named "Styx".

That probably has to do with the fact that Pluto is the Greek God of the Underworld, and you had to cross the River Styx to get from Earth to the Underworld.

Does that mean the shuttle taking people past Styx to Pluto will be called Charon?

• Like 1

Does that mean the shuttle taking people past Styx to Pluto will be called Charon?

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

:sarcastic:

• Like 1

While that makes sense, i heard the discoverer named it after he met the band.