Just started The X-Files

MeanMeanPride

The first three seasons are amongst my favourites of any tv show.

Why only the first 3?

IMHO, the first few seasons were much MUCH better than the latter ones. I can't remember which season I started losing interest but it might've been around season 4 or 5 or whenever they started doing more and more of the conspiracy stories.

By the time Moulder and Scully were gone, I was long gone.

Who's Moulder? ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "gone".

I didn't know how to spell Duchovny's character's name. "M-o-l-d-e-r" just looked wrong. And "M-u-l-d-e-r" looks like it's pronounced "mull-dir". So, I went with what I did.

"Gone" = left the show.

Duchovny left the show and was replaced by that liquid Terminator guy, right? Soon after Anderson left, the Mystic Pizza girl took HER place, yeah? I'm saying I had already mostly quit watching BEFORE that (gone before they were gone). I caught just a few episodes of the last season or two and thought that the replacement agent episodes were even less interesting to me than the last few seasons with Scully and M-u-l-d-e-r.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Why only the first 3?

IMHO, the first few seasons were much MUCH better than the latter ones. I can't remember which season I started losing interest but it might've been around season 4 or 5 or whenever they started doing more and more of the conspiracy stories.

Who's Moulder? ;)

I didn't know how to spell Duchovny's character's name. "M-o-l-d-e-r" just looked wrong. And "M-u-l-d-e-r" looks like it's pronounced "mull-dir". So, I went with what I did.

"Gone" = left the show.

Duchovny left the show and was replaced by that liquid Terminator guy, right? Soon after Anderson left, the Mystic Pizza girl took HER place, yeah? I'm saying I had already mostly quit watching BEFORE that (gone before they were gone). I caught just a few episodes of the last season or two and thought that the replacement agent episodes were even less interesting to me than the last few seasons with Scully and M-u-l-d-e-r.

No, Gillian Anderson never left the show. She was there until the end and in pretty much every episode. They did add Annabeth Gish as Monica Reyes and Robert Patrick as John Doggett in the 8th season after David Duchovny left. He didnt really leave completely though, being in several episodes in the 8th season and the last one of the 9th. The show was totally Mulder and Scully up until the 8th season.

The reason why I asked about the first three is because it was really in 3rd season that the show took off and became such a hit. Though I love all of the show (except 9th season mainly due to DD not being there and the dynamic changed), season 3-6 are my favorites. They really hit their stride then, IMO.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Never ever ever ever ever watched this show.

I don't even know what it's about.

But I saw a clip the other day on a documentary about TV in the 90's and this show looks potentially like a new obsession in the making!

But I saw a clip the other day on a documentary about TV in the 90's and this show looks potentially like a new obsession in the making!

It is a great show!

Why only the first 3?

Who's Moulder? ;)

"Gone" = left the show.

No, Gillian Anderson never left the show. She was there until the end and in pretty much every episode. They did add Annabeth Gish as Monica Reyes and Robert Patrick as John Doggett in the 8th season after David Duchovny left. He didnt really leave completely though, being in several episodes in the 8th season and the last one of the 9th. The show was totally Mulder and Scully up until the 8th season.

The reason why I asked about the first three is because it was really in 3rd season that the show took off and became such a hit. Though I love all of the show (except 9th season mainly due to DD not being there and the dynamic changed), season 3-6 are my favorites. They really hit their stride then, IMO.

Ah ok.

So, I stopped watching every Sunday probably around season 7. From then, I'd probably catch it just half the time...and by the final season I might've watched maybe just 3 or 4 episodes tops.

One of my favorite episodes was in the first season. They were stuck in some research station in the Arctic Circle and some alien kind of germ would take over the host's body and essentially make them go crazy. It had a Thing vibe to it.

My ultimate favorite episode was probably not until the 3rd or maybe 4th season--it was the one with the psycho mutant incestuous family. I'm sure you remember that one. Just thinking about that now makes me reevaluate and believe that I lost interest around season 6 or 7 BECAUSE I know there were a lot of quality episodes around the time of the mutant family story.

• Like 2

Why only the first 3?

Who's Moulder? ;)

"Gone" = left the show.

Ah ok.

So, I stopped watching every Sunday probably around season 7. From then, I'd probably catch it just half the time...and by the final season I might've watched maybe just 3 or 4 episodes tops.

One of my favorite episodes was in the first season. They were stuck in some research station in the Arctic Circle and some alien kind of germ would take over the host's body and essentially make them go crazy. It had a Thing vibe to it.

My ultimate favorite episode was probably not until the 3rd or maybe 4th season--it was the one with the psycho mutant incestuous family. I'm sure you remember that one. Just thinking about that now makes me reevaluate and believe that I lost interest around season 6 or 7 BECAUSE I know there were a lot of quality episodes around the time of the mutant family story.

The Arctic Circle one is called "Ice" and the one with the inbred family is called "Home". They only showed that one once because it was banned after that because of the subject matter.

• Like 2

Why only the first 3?

Who's Moulder? ;)

"Gone" = left the show.

Ah ok.

The Arctic Circle one is called "Ice" and the one with the inbred family is called "Home". They only showed that one once because it was banned after that because of the subject matter.

I just remembered the incest family's name, Peacock. That one could've been a movie.

The pilot episode was an excellent one too. I remember watching that when it first aired and thinking how good the show is.

• Like 2

I just remembered the incest family's name, Peacock. That one could've been a movie.

The pilot episode was an excellent one too. I remember watching that when it first aired and thinking how good the show is.

Yeah I agree. The pilot is still a favorite of mine. They looked so young!

• Like 2

:)

• Like 1

Why only the first 3?

Cos I thought it became aware of its success at that stage and stopped being fun, and the mythology made increasingly little sense. There were still some great episodes after that for sure, but the seasons didn't hang together as well, for me.

Yeah, Anderson was really young then. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd guess between 21-25.

I barely recognized her in Last King of Scotland (great movie btw) which came out about a decade back. I know she wasn't even 40 then...but she actually looked more attractive in that than when she was in her 20s in X-Files.

• Like 1

Yeah, Anderson was really young then. I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd guess between 21-25.

I barely recognized her in Last King of Scotland (great movie btw) which came out about a decade back. I know she wasn't even 40 then...but she actually looked more attractive in that than when she was in her 20s in X-Files.

Last King Of Scotland is great!

I just saw another of that same directors movies, The Eagle.

Oh boy it was so bad...looked like a very low budget Uwe Boll movie.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Last King Of Scotland is great!

I just saw another of that same directors movies, The Eagle.

Oh boy it was so bad...looked like a very low budget Uwe Boll movie.

That sucks.

Having only seen Last King of Scotland from that director, I'd trust him. I guess I'd be wrong in that case. But then again, I don't trust Channing Tatum. So maybe it balances out.

:LOL:

The last couple of seasons were kind of messed up because David Duchovny had a contract dispute with the network and so he wasn't in the last two seasons very much at all.

Really, I did not know that.

Yep. They brought in Robert Patrick and he got a lot of flack for being a potential Mulder substitute. I remember being really upset that David was leaving that I didn't watch most of the episodes of season 9. I finally got around to watching it on Netflix about a year ago and even though I still think it's not a very good season it's not bad. The series just stalled when he left. They are currently in negotiations for season 11. The Fox network wants more episodes this time, more like a regular season. Hopefully we get at least 10 or 12. It would be nice to get more than that but with the busy schedule of both of the main actors (especially Gillian Anderson) it's hard to find time. Now that Aquarius has been cancelled, David should be free.

• Like 2

The last couple of seasons were kind of messed up because David Duchovny had a contract dispute with the network and so he wasn't in the last two seasons very much at all.

Really, I did not know that.

Yep. They brought in Robert Patrick and he got a lot of flack for being a potential Mulder substitute. I remember being really upset that David was leaving that I didn't watch most of the episodes of season 9. I finally got around to watching it on Netflix about a year ago and even though I still think it's not a very good season it's not bad. The series just stalled when he left. They are currently in negotiations for season 11. The Fox network wants more episodes this time, more like a regular season. Hopefully we get at least 10 or 12. It would be nice to get more than that but with the busy schedule of both of the main actors (especially Gillian Anderson) it's hard to find time. Now that Aquarius has been cancelled, David should be free.

Hell yes!! I Hope they make another season. The X-Files is such a great show!!

• Like 2