Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

This is the recipe that we have always used, it's simple but gets the job done:-)

DUTCH OVEN PEACH COBBLER

1 lg. can sliced peaches

1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix

1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)

ground cinnamon, for dusting

Utensils:

Dutch Oven: Prepare charcoal (35 pieces) for Dutch Oven baking.

Preparation:

Rub the inside of the Dutch oven with cooking oil.

Place 8 pieces of charcoal under the oven and 20 pieces on top.

When the oven is hot, pour peaches and juice into the oven.

Add the dry cake mix on top of the peaches.

Cut the butter into pats (small chunks) and place on top of the cake mix.

Dust everything with cinnamon (lightly).

Put the lid back on the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Check cake with a clean straw or knife. Do this by sticking the straw into the cake mix. If the straw comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, add charcoal to the oven and bake 10 more minutes. Check again.

Peaches are in season here! Yum! Thank you stone!

Chica, if you buy fresh peaches, how many would you use for this recipe?

We don't have an outdoor grill. :(

I need a comparable oven recipe.

Do you not have a grill in your cooker?

What do you mean?

Well my cooking appliance has 4 gas hobs on top, an oven at the bottom and above that a grill.

Like this one:

http://productimages.euronics.co.uk/NEW-WORLD-NW551GTC-510.jpg

I thought you meant a slow cooker. That is really nice. :ebert:

What do you mean?

Well my cooking appliance has 4 gas hobs on top, an oven at the bottom and above that a grill.

Like this one:

I'd love a stove/oven that looked like that. That's a nice one.

We have four separate burners and no grill across like you do.

• Like 1

What do you mean?

Like this one:

I mainly use the grill it's much quicker than the oven, but then I don't tend to cook things like a whole chicken or turkey or a side of beef, I'd need the oven to do stuff like that.

• Like 1

Lorraine,

Put it in the oven on low heat and just watch it--as soon as a fork comes out clean when you stick it in the cake it is done :-)

Are you talking 250? Or on the setting "low"? If I use the latter, the cobbler will be in the oven for hours and hours before it's done. :LOL:

Lorraine,

Put it in the oven on low heat and just watch it--as soon as a fork comes out clean when you stick it in the cake it is done :-)

Are you talking 250? Or on the setting "low"? If I use the latter, the cobbler will be in the oven for hours and hours before it's done. :LOL:

I have no experience using the dutch oven in the oven--but I would guess 250 or 300.

• Like 1

What do you mean?

Like this one:

I'd love a stove/oven that looked like that. That's a nice one.

We have four separate burners and no grill across like you do.

You've GOT to get one with a grill! You'll never look back! :ebert:

• Like 1

Lorraine,

I have no experience using the dutch oven in the oven--but I would guess 250 or 300.

Are you any relation to Dan Rafael of ESPN sports?

• Like 1

This is the recipe that we have always used, it's simple but gets the job done:-)

DUTCH OVEN PEACH COBBLER

1 lg. can sliced peaches

1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix

1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)

ground cinnamon, for dusting

Utensils:

Dutch Oven: Prepare charcoal (35 pieces) for Dutch Oven baking.

Preparation:

Rub the inside of the Dutch oven with cooking oil.

Place 8 pieces of charcoal under the oven and 20 pieces on top.

When the oven is hot, pour peaches and juice into the oven.

Add the dry cake mix on top of the peaches.

Cut the butter into pats (small chunks) and place on top of the cake mix.

Dust everything with cinnamon (lightly).

Put the lid back on the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Check cake with a clean straw or knife. Do this by sticking the straw into the cake mix. If the straw comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, add charcoal to the oven and bake 10 more minutes. Check again.

Peaches are in season here! Yum! Thank you stone!

If you are using fresh peaches make sure you use some sort of liquid to compensate for the syrup in the canned peaches. a can of 7-up or Dr. Pepper works well I have found.

What do you mean?

Like this one:

I mainly use the grill it's much quicker than the oven, but then I don't tend to cook things like a whole chicken or turkey or a side of beef, I'd need the oven to do stuff like that.

Time to get that Duck in the oven. :LOL:

What do you mean?

Like this one:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Picture+of+me+sorry+for+the+duck+face_3dbab8_4459195.jpg

• Like 2

What do you mean?

Like this one:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Picture+of+me+sorry+for+the+duck+face_3dbab8_4459195.jpg

:LOL:

• Like 1

Chica, check this one out:

Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

Pinch salt

1 cup milk

4 cups peeled, pitted and thinly sliced fresh peaches (5 to 6 medium peaches)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Several dashes ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg (optional)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pour the melted butter into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the salt and mix well. Stir in the milk, mixing until just combined. Pour this batter over the butter but do not stir them together.

In a small saucepan, combine the peaches, lemon juice, and remaining cup of sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour the peaches over the batter but do not stir them together. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. Serve warm or cold.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Chica, check this one out:

Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

Pinch salt

1 cup milk

4 cups peeled, pitted and thinly sliced fresh peaches (5 to 6 medium peaches)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Several dashes ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg (optional)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pour the melted butter into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the salt and mix well. Stir in the milk, mixing until just combined. Pour this batter over the butter but do not stir them together.

In a small saucepan, combine the peaches, lemon juice, and remaining cup of sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour the peaches over the batter but do not stir them together. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. Serve warm or cold.

Thanks Lorraine, this looks fantastic! I'm always going to this one farm stand for peaches 2 or 3 times a week until the middle of September when the peaches finally stop :(

Stone had a good point with his recipe; adding some kind of liquid; I would think 4 sliced peaches would be about one can, but with your recipe; don't have to worry about that, it's made for the fresh ones and looks really good! :D

Edited by blueschica

It says though that using fresh peaches can be a bit of a hair pulling experience.

Always looking to make my life less hard than it has to be, I am looking for a recipe using canned peaches.

:D :D :D

• Like 2

Here's one. Even has a recipe for fresh whipped cream. :)

Ingredients

Two 15-ounce cans sliced peaches in syrup

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 cup self-rising flour

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

Homemade Whipped Cream, recipe follows

Cook's Note: If you don't have self-rising flour, substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt

Homemade Whipped Cream:

2 cups whipping cream, chilled in the fridge

4 tablespoons sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.Drain 1 can of peaches; reserve the syrup from the other. Place the butter in a 9- by 12-inch ovenproof baking dish. Heat the butter on the stove or in the oven until it's melted. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Stir in the milk and the reserved syrup. Pour the batter over the melted butter in the baking dish. Arrange the peaches over the batter. Bake for 1 hour. The cobbler is done when the batter rises around the peaches and the crust is thick and golden brown. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream

Homemade Whipped Cream

Chill a large metal mixing bowl and the wire beater attachment in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Pour the chilled cream and sugar into the cold mixing bowl and beat until it forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes. The mixture should hold its shape when dropped from a spoon. Don't overbeat or you'll have sweetened butter! Yield: 4 cups

• Like 1

crock pot is the way to go! originally invented to cook beans you can do anything you can imagine in it as it is the original set it and forget it kitchen device. Speaking of beans that is a truely cheap and high fiber dish that can be paired with some rice or pasta yumm. you can also use some ground meat and tomato paste to mke an awsome chili that can also be paired with rice and pasta. The key is to make sure wat ever fat source you use does not get solid at room temperature. Light olive oil is a perfect example of such.

Here is a link that can get your creative juices flowing for slow cooker recepies,

http://www.crock-pot.com/recipes.html

but really you can cook just about anything in a crock pot and yumm will follow. When I was single and many times now when it is my turn to cook I can throw everything in the morning and then when I get home dindin done Mmmm I m going to get mine out now :outtahere:

Crock Pots... they are ok, at best, in all honesty. They're great to have on hand for those times when you will be gone all day or know that when dinner time comes, you are going to be too tired to put together a big meal. I much prefer a Dutch oven but they can be expensive but are the better option for when you're at home and need something to be in the oven for a really long time. I would buy one from a thrift store, no problem! Don't let one that looks, "dirty inside" scare you. That's actually want you want! One that is well-seasoned. A Crock Pot I would certainly buy new. I would recommend a fully programmable one which is going to be more expensive but they should last a really long time so can easily justify the cost. They come in various sizes but the average size is 5-6 quarts which can make a lot of food if you shove a ton in there but then you get leftovers! Another cost saving option right there. One dish I love to make in the Crock Pot is meatballs. Either make your own or use frozen meatballs. Just throw them in the Crock Pot with a little ketchup, mustard and brown sugar (think classic meatloaf topping) or a combination of chili sauce and cranberry sauce if you want something a little tangy and sweet, and cook for however long which is going to depend on if they're frozen, thawed, etc. Make some mashed potatoes, serve with some green beans and call that an awesome comfort food meal.

Seriously, SO many options out there for you!!!

You put me to shame with your creativity. Who would ever think of pairing chili and cranberry sauce together, but I bet it is good!

There is no end with chili. It so fun to experiment with.

• Like 1

Lorraine,

Do you have a gas oven/stove?

No - electric. It's old and a bit testy. If I put it on broil it starts on fire. :LOL: Can't put the oven much over 350.

Then you have no choice,

The reason I asked is. Depending on where someone lives and the time of year. Gas can be a lot more expensive than electric. Up here natural gas is a lot more expensive to use during the winter. I never cook any thing all day on the stove top. Ours is gas. Thats where my slow cooker really comes in handy.

Mine is gas and electric.

Your gas IS electric Duck man! :rfl:

• Like 1

Lorraine,

Do you have a gas oven/stove?

No - electric. It's old and a bit testy. If I put it on broil it starts on fire. :LOL: Can't put the oven much over 350.

Then you have no choice,

The reason I asked is. Depending on where someone lives and the time of year. Gas can be a lot more expensive than electric. Up here natural gas is a lot more expensive to use during the winter. I never cook any thing all day on the stove top. Ours is gas. Thats where my slow cooker really comes in handy.

Mine is gas and electric.

Your gas IS electric Duck man! :rfl:

I don't get that... :codger:

I just found out my sister has a slow cooker. I'm going to borrow it and try making some stuff in it. Does everything need to be in a liquid of some sort?
  • Like 1