Jump to content


Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals


  • Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#41 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

I have a pair of genuine Keds.  And black leggings too.

I'm all set.

Who will come visit me in jail though?

Edited by Lorraine, 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM.


Sponsored Post

#42 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

I have a pair of genuine Keds.  And black leggings too.

I'm all set.

Who will come visit me in jail though?
Your little poodle! :baabaa:

#43 Janie

Janie

    Rush Caption Queen

  • Members *
  • 16549 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Seattle, WA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

View PostJanie, on 10 August 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'll go by Wal-Mart this week and see what they have, and check on the prices of dutch overs.  Janie, what size?

There's a thrift store a couple of blocks from here going out of business, I could go there and check, but the place is really seedy and I wouldn't buy clothes in it let alone anything to cook out of.  :ph34r:
As for Dutch oven size, a 5 1/2-6 quart one is best (same size as best Crock Pot). Dutch ovens are highly prized and coveted so it may be hard to find one at a thrift store but keep your eyes open! You never know. It might be easier to score one at a yard sale.

You can also try Bed, Bath and Beyond for a Crock Pot because you can use one of their 20% off coupons. Those things seem to come in the mail quite often.

Janie, thank you.

How long would you cook the delicious chicken recipe Stone provided in a dutch oven?
I'm convinced that the Crock Pot is the affordable option for the Dutch oven. Dutch ovens and Crock Pots are interchangeable in that one is done in the oven, the other on your kitchen counter. Both are designed for low, slow cooking. If a Crock Pot recipe calls for something to be done at a high heat for 4 hours, you can pretty much bet that the same is true for the Dutch oven. If your Crock Pot recipe calls for low heat for 6-8 hours, then so will your recipe for the Dutch oven.

#44 Janie

Janie

    Rush Caption Queen

  • Members *
  • 16549 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Seattle, WA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

Just going to add that I use my Dutch oven FAR more than my Crock Pot. Food can turn out iffy with the Crock Pot with meat easily being over-cooked while vegetables turn out mushy while everything turns out great in the Dutch oven. The difference really is night and day so I'm a proponent of splurging on one of these. A Dutch oven will last you a lifetime and you can hand it down! You won't be doing that with a Crock Pot.

My two cents.

Edited by Janie, 10 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.


#45 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34665 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 10 August 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'd like to know this too. I never cook that much because I never like much of what I do cook.  :lol:

Me too. I always get this idea in my head of what the meal should taste like.  When it doesn't, I am very disappointed and consider it a failure.

A while back I found a recipe for black bean soup that looked interesting, so I tried it. Followed the recipe to the letter, and I wasn't all that happy with how it came out. I imagined it tasting different, like thicker and more tomato-y. So the next time I made it, I made adjustments. More tomatoes, more beans (some of them ground in a mini food processor to add thickness), and I made it spicier. It took several tries to get it to the point of, "THIS is how I imagined it should taste." It's now more of a hearty black bean chili than a soup.

The point is, don't be afraid to take a recipe and make adjustments to turn it into what you want.

#46 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 18629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

Lorrain Dutch ovens are a great cooking device. They defiinitly have their place I have a well seasoned one I primarily use when camping when I want to cook stews chili or other one pot items over an open fire. It really boils down to if you feel comfortable leaving your oven or stove on for a long period of time unattended. I have cooked all day( such as a Thanksgiving meal) in my oven but I never strayed far. But with a slow cooker I can leave the house all day and not nave a worry. Also stay away from processed foods as the fat and sodium contents are no where near healthy. One can practically over salt everything cooked at home and still be under the sodium levels of processed foods.
Here is one of my favorite crock pot recipies

New Orleans Style Redbeans and Rice
1-1 1/2lbs dry Red Kidney beans pre washed and pre soaked quick method
1lb- fresh sweet italian sausage ( or any regular sausage Ham or smoked turkey or Ham hocks neck bones any cheap seasoning meat etc.)((meat can be optional))
3-4 Stalks fresh Celery sliced
1-  Med-Lg Onoin (spanish yellow or white) Chopped
6-8 Cloves of garlic chopped
1- Lg green Bell Pepper chopped
2 cups veggie stock
2-cup water ( If you opt not to pre soak dry beans add 1 additional cup of water or till there is at least 2 inches of liquid covering beans)
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (go easy with this as it is easier to add than take away)
1/2- teaspoon salt (or to taste will depend on what meat is used)
3-4 Bay Leaves
1- teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
Directions
Add all ingedients in 5-6qt. crock pot/slow cooker
set on med for 4-6 hours
just before serving slightly smash with mashed potato tool being careful not to smash all beans
(This will help to thicken broth and transforms beans into creamy "New Orleans Style)
makes 8-10 servings that will dissapear quick
Serve over rice of your choice if you need recipe for rice let me know

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory, 10 August 2015 - 09:15 PM.


#47 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 18629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Oh yeah and crock pots give off very little heat so it's not like cooking all day on a cook top or oven that increases the ambient temperature of your home. Another great benefit for summer cooking with a crock pot.

#48 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:layton, utah, usa
  • Interests:rush

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'll go by Wal-Mart this week and see what they have, and check on the prices of dutch overs.  Janie, what size?

There's a thrift store a couple of blocks from here going out of business, I could go there and check, but the place is really seedy and I wouldn't buy clothes in it let alone anything to cook out of.  :ph34r:

We have dutch ovens--but typically only use them when we are camping. I find they are hard to regulate the heat and I usually dry out whatever meat I am trying to cook.

#49 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:layton, utah, usa
  • Interests:rush

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

View Poststone and a hard place, on 11 August 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 August 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'll go by Wal-Mart this week and see what they have, and check on the prices of dutch overs.  Janie, what size?

There's a thrift store a couple of blocks from here going out of business, I could go there and check, but the place is really seedy and I wouldn't buy clothes in it let alone anything to cook out of.  :ph34r:

We have dutch ovens--but typically only use them when we are camping. I find they are hard to regulate the heat and I usually dry out whatever meat I am trying to cook.

we have never used our dutch ovens in the oven--usually on the fire or with charcoal--will have to try it now that you have mentioned it.

#50 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5330 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 10 August 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

The only Dutch thing I've got is Dutch courage!

It's certainly evident that you don't have a Dutch uncle... ;)

#51 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Crimson, your red beans and rice recipe - there used to be a place I would sometimes go to get lunch in NYC that had that.  I love it.  I worked with a woman from Barbados who would sometimes make it and bring it to work.  We used to feast on it.

I've been looking for a good recipe to make it myself.   Thanks~

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

I see Dutch Ovens come in stainless steel and cast iron.

Ebay has a pre-seasoned 5 qt. cast iron one for only $29.99.

They had a no-name cast iron one too for only $20.00.

Here's the link:  http://www.ebay.com/...5-qt-dutch-oven

Which one looks the best?

#53 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 18629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostLorraine, on 11 August 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

I see Dutch Ovens come in stainless steel and cast iron.

Ebay has a pre-seasoned 5 qt. cast iron one for only $29.99.

They had a no-name cast iron one too for only $20.00.

Here's the link:  http://www.ebay.com/...5-qt-dutch-oven

Which one looks the best?
Lorraine,
It appears the no name one does not come with a lid which is essential for a dutch oven, maybe why it is cheaper. Lodge is a good brand but keep in mind cast iron is cast iron. The key is keeping the pot properly seasoned. Which keeps the pot from rusting and a well seasoned cast iron pot will evenually add flavor to what ever is cooked in it. Some come preseasoned but it is a good idea to give it your own good treatment. To properly season you want to use a rich animal fat such as lard. If you are vegetarian or can't find lard you can use vegetable oil, shortening or light olive oil. My favorite is bacon fat. Anyhoo coat pot liberally with fat put in oven at 150-175 for a few hours turning and redistributing oil (or adding new coating) as needed. Your pan will become a dark brown- black and eventually it is the black you are going for. Also place a cookie sheet on a lower rack to catch what ever excess will drip off. Now here is the number one rule with cast iron- NEVER, NEVER, EVER use soap to wash cast iron! Soap strips the seasoning and will leave your pot susceptible to rust and that is not the flavor you want your pot to add to your food. If you have a baked on what ever let it soak in hot water for 1/2 hour or so, never overnight! As that will have the same result of using soap. After your cast iron pot is washed and dried lightly coat with veggie oil and you will have a pot that will last you a lifetime. I was raised on cast iron cooking and I have pans my mother handed down to me that her mother handed down to her. It is wonderful to cook with. The only other metal I cook with is stainless steel but primarily pots all my pans and dutch oven are cast iron.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory, 11 August 2015 - 12:08 PM.


#54 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

So a cast iron one is better than a stainless steel?  Or are both essentially the same?

I think I will go to Target instead since Wal-Mart is notorious for trying to scam folks by selling inferior products at a lower price and allowing the customer to think they are getting a great bargain when, in the long run, they aren't.  At least, that's been my experience.  I once put a food processor on layaway.  When I got it home, it wouldn't even work.  It was so poorly put together by the manufacturer that it shouldn't have ever made it out of the factory.  But, there was Wal-Mart selling it.

#55 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 18629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostLorraine, on 11 August 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

So a cast iron one is better than a stainless steel?  Or are both essentially the same?

I think I will go to Target instead since Wal-Mart is notorious for trying to scam folks by selling inferior products at a lower price and allowing the customer to think they are getting a great bargain when, in the long run, they aren't.  At least, that's been my experience.  I once put a food processor on layaway.  When I got it home, it wouldn't even work.  It was so poorly put together by the manufacturer that it shouldn't have ever made it out of the factory.  But, there was Wal-Mart selling it.
In my personal opinion the cast iron is the way to go. Yes it is heavier and a little more maintenance intensive but it being heavier it is easier to regulate temperature and ultimately saves energy as once the pan/pot reaches the desired cooking g range the heat can be significantly cut back but the temp in the pot remains. Have you ruled out the slow cooker? They throw off very little heat and do just as well as dutch oven unless you want to some intense braising.


#56 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostCrimsonmistymemory, on 11 August 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 11 August 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

So a cast iron one is better than a stainless steel?  Or are both essentially the same?

I think I will go to Target instead since Wal-Mart is notorious for trying to scam folks by selling inferior products at a lower price and allowing the customer to think they are getting a great bargain when, in the long run, they aren't.  At least, that's been my experience.  I once put a food processor on layaway.  When I got it home, it wouldn't even work.  It was so poorly put together by the manufacturer that it shouldn't have ever made it out of the factory.  But, there was Wal-Mart selling it.
In my personal opinion the cast iron is the way to go. Yes it is heavier and a little more maintenance intensive but it being heavier it is easier to regulate temperature and ultimately saves energy as once the pan/pot reaches the desired cooking g range the heat can be significantly cut back but the temp in the pot remains. Have you ruled out the slow cooker? They throw off very little heat and do just as well as dutch oven unless you want to some intense braising.

No, I will get both.  I have some funds set aside for household needs.  I thought that these items were a lot more expensive than they are, but I can get the both of them for under $100.

#57 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8708 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

We have had a Lodge dutch oven for about 20 years and it has held up well. We used to use it a lot to make soups and stews but not so much lately; this thread has made me think I should get it out again and see what it will do :)  I do like the "plug it in and forget it" ease of the crock pot though, I use that a lot!

#58 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 18629 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostLorraine, on 11 August 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostCrimsonmistymemory, on 11 August 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 11 August 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

So a cast iron one is better than a stainless steel?  Or are both essentially the same?

I think I will go to Target instead since Wal-Mart is notorious for trying to scam folks by selling inferior products at a lower price and allowing the customer to think they are getting a great bargain when, in the long run, they aren't.  At least, that's been my experience.  I once put a food processor on layaway.  When I got it home, it wouldn't even work.  It was so poorly put together by the manufacturer that it shouldn't have ever made it out of the factory.  But, there was Wal-Mart selling it.
In my personal opinion the cast iron is the way to go. Yes it is heavier and a little more maintenance intensive but it being heavier it is easier to regulate temperature and ultimately saves energy as once the pan/pot reaches the desired cooking g range the heat can be significantly cut back but the temp in the pot remains. Have you ruled out the slow cooker? They throw off very little heat and do just as well as dutch oven unless you want to some intense braising.

No, I will get both.  I have some funds set aside for household needs.  I thought that these items were a lot more expensive than they are, but I can get the both of them for under $100.
You go girl! That is the best thing to do then you can determine which on you prefer to use for individule specialties. I really think once you use a slow cooker you will ask yourself how did I ever survive with out it. You will be able to save a bundle and eat hearty and healthy. The best honor a chef can have is to take the cheapest of the cheap or the passed over discarded ends of things (for lack of a better term) and create a dish that will knock your socks off. The dutch oven will do the same but in my opinion is better to use in the winter when if you have to cook you might as well help keep the place warm. Here in Florida my oven doubles as my furnace in winter months, all 2 of them lol.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory, 11 August 2015 - 12:49 PM.


#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 46228 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

My oven helps heat this place too in the winter!

I'll go to Target and get them this week or next.

#60 stone and a hard place

stone and a hard place

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 968 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:layton, utah, usa
  • Interests:rush

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

not healthy--but peach cobbler or apple cobbler in the dutch over is to die for.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users