Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

My mother and brother had it, and my sister has it and takes Zocor, and I'm wondering if Zocor has contributed to the demise of her health.

My father died when he was 56 and high cholesterol had yet to become a big thing in 1971, but he did die of a massive heart attack.

By the way, Eagle, thanks for telling me what you did. I've been reading about it on the internet. I won't be taking any pills for it, that's for sure.

Edited by Lorraine

I just looked at my lab results. Here's the cholesterol:

Cholesterol in LDL [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma

160 mg/dL {0-130}

Cholesterol in HDL [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma

85 mg/dL {40-60}

Cholesterol [Mass/volume] in Serum or Plasma

259 mg/dL {<200}

It's pretty high. I didn't see these results the other day when I looked.

FINALLY bought myself a slow cooker.

Got an Hamilton Beach 5-quart programmable.

I'm all set now. :P

But since I purchased it at the infamous Wal-Mart, it remains to be seen if it actually works. :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

But since I purchased it at the infamous Wal-Mart, it remains to be seen if it actually works. :unsure:

Good luck! Any particular plans as to what you want to try out in it first?

• Like 1

No. What would you suggest?

Do these things give off a lot of heat?

The lid and the crockpot get hot-ish, you need a pot holder to pick them up from what I remember. The counter underneath gets a little warm. But one of the nice things for summer is that it doesn't make the kitchen hot the way baking a casserole in the oven would.

• Like 2

The lid and the crockpot get hot-ish, you need a pot holder to pick them up from what I remember. The counter underneath gets a little warm. But one of the nice things for summer is that it doesn't make the kitchen hot the way baking a casserole in the oven would.

That's what I wanted to know - if i could use it in the heat without it making an already warmish kitchen hotter.

Also, it is safe to use it on the counter?

I never used one before.

That's what I wanted to know - if i could use it in the heat without it making an already warmish kitchen hotter.

Also, it is safe to use it on the counter?

I never used one before.

Definitely safe to use on the counter, that is where most people I know use them. I don't think it makes the kitchen much hotter- maybe a teeny bit just right next to it?

I haven't used one for awhile because ours cracked (due to my stupidity.) I spooned out the chili into another dish and put the crock pot in the sink while it was still pretty hot and ran cold water into it by accident. It got a hairline crack in it and leaked after that. :( I need to ask Santa for a new one! Definitely recommending that you let it cool down before you run water into it.

• Like 1

The ones I've had havent given off a lot of heat at all. The only thing I have really made in them has been roasts.

• Like 2

The ones I've had havent given off a lot of heat at all. The only thing I have really made in them has been roasts.

That's what I was going to use it for - roasts and stews.

That's what I was going to use it for - roasts and stews.

They are great if you have a less expensive cut of meat. Tenderizes it very well.

• Like 1

I am making that right now. :D

• Like 3

Troutman, you put it on high for 6 or 8 hours?

I like doing it for eight hours. Which on my crock pot it is closer to low. I want it to cook really slow so it just falls apart. Also it depends on the size of the roast.

I like doing it for eight hours. Which on my crock pot it is closer to low. I want it to cook really slow so it just falls apart. Also it depends on the size of the roast.

I know I ask a lot of questions but meat costs a lot of money and I can't afford to mess up something that costs a lot.

• Like 1

I know I ask a lot of questions but meat costs a lot of money and I can't afford to mess up something that costs a lot.

Yeah, it's insane. But I got a good deal on the roast. For me, it's impossible to mess up a slow cooked roast.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's insane. But I got a good deal on the roast. For me, it's impossible to mess up a slow cooked roast.

Cooking is pretty easy, all you have to do is make sure the heat isn't too high, and organise everything so each part of the meal is ready at the same time.

• Like 1

That's a crock! :16ton:

• Like 1

I'll let you know when I buy one. It won't be more than three pounds probably.

• Like 2

I'll let you know when I buy one. It won't be more than three pounds probably.

If you think it will cost too much. Just have the meat cuter slice one in half. I do it all of the time.

• Like 1

I'd like to know this too. I never cook that much because I never like much of what I do cook. :LOL:

What do you eat then?

Generally I buy a lot of prepackaged stuff. I'm just not a very good cook, no matter how much I try. I think some people are just naturally talented.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I'd like to know this too. I never cook that much because I never like much of what I do cook. :LOL:

What do you eat then?

Generally I buy a lot of prepackaged stuff. I'm just not a very good cook, no matter how much I try. I think some people are just naturally talented.

Just keep it simple, try cooking two simple items like chicken breast and mushrooms and see how that goes.

Cooking is pretty easy, all you have to do is make sure the heat isn't too high, and organise everything so each part of the meal is ready at the same time.

I'm coming to eat at your house! :notworthy: :hotdog: :pizza: :burger: :bacon: I can make yummy food, holiday food, food that doesn't cost too much, but I can never get the freakin' food done at the same time! After 30+ years of trying, haha !!

Edited by blueschica

What do you eat then?

I'm not either, and I have tried really hard. Nothing ever comes out right. That's why I'm so leery about this slow cooker and messing up. If someone can mess up, it will be me.

My mother was an excellent cook. Both my sister and brother inherited her talent, but not me.

• Like 1