Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

Our weather has finally started to cool down. It has been really hot for us here in Seattle. We had a very unusual summer. I am SO glad it is cooling down. This is my favorite time of year to eat. Of course, this also means I get my money's worth at the gym.

My favorite time of the year as well. For many reasons.

Our summer was hotter than normal and began much earlier than usual. The plus side is that by August, we were already starting to cool down, and September has been cooler than normal. I'm already wearing my thermals :LOL: and the kerosene heater that we use to keep our heating bills down is already being used.

Baked Ziti tonight! :)

• Like 2

I went cheap and healthy last night... made hummus (cost about $5 to make) with grilled chicken breast ($2 a lb), and a cucumber/tomato salad (free from our garden :) )

Oh, also had pita bread and feta cheese.

I spent about $20 total, got 6 meals out of it (2 chicken breast left over) and over half the hummus is still in the fridge.

• Like 2

Lorrane,

Just a quick shout out. I don't know if you have a K-Mart near you but I am at one now they have a 4qt Hamilton Beach slow cooker Mdl# 33141 for $20.99. It looks like it would be the perfect size for you and wouldn't bust your heating bill. budget. Just thought I would let you know.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Lorrane,

Just a quick shout out. I don't know if you have a K-Mart near you but I am at one now they have a 4qt Hamilton Beach slow cooker Mdl# 33141 for $20.99. It looks like it would be the perfect size for you and wouldn't bust your heating bill. budget. Just thought I would let you know.

I saw a Hamilton Beach 4 qt, Slow Cooker on sale for that amount in a store about a half mile from me (I can't remember the name of the store...I'm getting bad.....). I was shocked to see it so reasonably priced but then thought it would be too small for us, and it wasn't programmable, and it only had "high-medium-low" settings.

We had a K-Mart a little over a mile away, but it closed down about twelve years ago. I miss it.

That's very kind of you to think of me, and to let me know! :hug2:

Lorraine have you bought the HB slow cooker? I bought mine a few days back and gave it a test run last night. I made a stew in it, on high. It. Was. Amazing. Seriously, amazing. This changes my outlook on slow cookers. I'm so glad I ditched my Crock Pot and got the 6-qt Hamilton-Beach number. Now that the weather has gotten a lot cooler and fall is fast approaching, I'm planning on using it once a week I think.

No. I looked in Fred Meyers yesterday morning and they don't sell HB Slow Cookers, just Crock Pot.

I hate to go back to Wal-Mart this week because all of the welfare-ites are out spending all of their unearned money from Uncle Sam. Hopefully, they still have it on sale next week.

What did you pay for the one you got, Janie?

I didn't check at FM but did check at BBB and Macy's (both in-store, not online). Neither carried it. I found it at Target and paid $50. Worth every penny. I think I will get a lot of use out this bad boy.

Don't,

Abuse him to much! :whipgirl: :P

It's a MACHINE. It HAS NO GENDER, FFS! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Laughing/laugh3-smiley.gif

I've owned a Rival Crock Pot® since my marriage in '82. It has performed flawlessly since, and as long as you keep it clean or store it, it probably should until my last moments on this here 'blue Marble'! :) :ebert: :clap:

Edited by OldRUSHfan

P.P.S. CMMs- Recipe for Split pea slowcooker soup? THAT would be Heavenly! That is my favorite soup! Split-Pea with Ham or Bacon! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/HUH-What/thud.gif
  • Like 1

Split Pea Soup

1- Ham bone with some meat on it. If not the bone will be fine but I like some ham meat in my soup. If you have a Honey Baked Ham Store near you they sell left over ham bones with quite a decent amount of meat on them for $6-8

1- 12-16 oz package dried green spot peas rinsed

3-4 med/lg carrots peeled and sliced in 1/4- 3/8 of an inch thick pieces

2- stalks of celery sliced

1- med onion diced

3-4- cloves of garlic chopped (or pressed)

1/4 tsp- Cumin

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

2-3- whole dried bay leaf

Salt to taste

Boil ham bone (at rolling boil) in 7-8 cups of water for 30 + minutes (minimum, the longer the better :finbar: )

Add remaining ingredients and lower heat to high simmer or slight boil with lid loose to allow some liquid to cook off stirring occasionally

Cook until peas are tender

Remove from heat and serve warm buttered bread or dinner rolls

Mmmmmm yummy :yes:

• Like 2

Split Pea Soup

1- Ham bone with some meat on it. If not the bone will be fine but I like some ham meat in my soup. If you have a Honey Baked Ham Store near you they sell left over ham bones with quite a decent amount of meat on them for $6-8

1- med onion diced

1/4 tsp- Cumin

Salt to taste

Boil ham bone (at rolling boil) in 7-8 cups of water for 30 + minutes (minimum, the longer the better :finbar: )

Add remaining ingredients and lower heat to high simmer or slight boil with lid loose to allow liquid to cook off stirring occasionally

Thanks, my man! copied and pasted for future reference! Within a couple months, this will be made!!! And we used to have a Honey Baked Ham store, got to be one still around Ann Arbor area!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/LOVE/hug1-smiley.gif

• Like 1

Split Pea Soup

1- med onion diced

1/4 tsp- Cumin

Salt to taste

Add remaining ingredients and lower heat to high simmer or slight boil with lid loose to allow some liquid to cook off stirring occasionally

Oops forgot an ingerdient, :doh: please see edited recipe

I have a recipe that was in the newspaper yesterday for leftover ham. It sounds delicious

Ham and Macaroni Au Gratin

Preheat over to 400

Cook 5oz. elbow macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to panl set aside.

While pasta cooks, melt 1 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat.

Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion; cook two minutes.

Stir in 1 Tbsp flour; cook two minutes stirring constantly.

Gradually stir in 1 cup milk; cook one minute or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove from heat.

Add 1 cup shredded Swiss Cheese, stirring until melted.

Stir in 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.

Stir sauce, 2 cups diced cooked ham and 1 cup thawed frozen peas into pasta . Scrape into a greased 1-quart baking dish.

Bake 10 minutes or until bubbly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes my mouth water. :) i must try it.

• Like 1

Split Pea Soup

1- 12-16 oz package dried green split peas rinsed

1- med onion diced

1/4 tsp- Cumin

Salt to taste

Oops forgot an ingerdient, :doh: please see edited recipe

Edit; For some reason stupid corrective text turned split pea to spot pea??? I did not catch it till today geez :facepalm:

Split Pea Soup

1- med onion diced

1/4 tsp- Cumin

Salt to taste

Add remaining ingredients and lower heat to high simmer or slight boil with lid loose to allow liquid to cook off stirring occasionally

Thanks, my man! copied and pasted for future reference! Within a couple months, this will be made!!! And we used to have a Honey Baked Ham store, got to be one still around Ann Arbor area!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/LOVE/hug1-smiley.gif

Website says 3446 Washtnenaw Ave. 10A- 6P, sun-sat. Karen wanted a HBH as part of birthday 2 weeks ago, picked up an 8 pound quarter ham, finishing the scraps in ham & cheese omelets tomorrow.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

This is probably the healthiest thing I eat. And it has to be easy for me to do it. Grilled Lime Chicken breast.

Get 1 lb - 1lb 1/2 of skinless chicken breast

2 limes

Celantro

Throw chicken breast in a plastic ziplock bag. slice limes into quarters and squeeze juice onto chicken in the bag. Toss limes in bag. Add some cilantro...not a ton, maybe a couple of tablespoons. Shake it up and let sit in the fridge to marinate for an hour (no longer). This marinates the crap out of the chicken and it becomes limp as hell. Throw it on the grill.

You'd think lime and chicken would taste gross, but most of the lime burns off when you cook it. It keeps the chicken juicy and gives it just a little tang. This might be good for tacos/fajitas as well, although I never tried it that way.

• Like 1

This is probably the healthiest thing I eat. And it has to be easy for me to do it. Grilled Lime Chicken breast.

2 limes

Celantro

Throw chicken breast in a plastic ziplock bag. slice limes into quarters and squeeze juice onto chicken in the bag. Toss limes in bag. Add some cilantro...not a ton, maybe a couple of tablespoons. Shake it up and let sit in the fridge to marinate for an hour (no longer). This marinates the crap out of the chicken and it becomes limp as hell. Throw it on the grill.

You'd think lime and chicken would taste gross, but most of the lime burns off when you cook it. It keeps the chicken juicy and gives it just a little tang. This might be good for tacos/fajitas as well, although I never tried it that way.

Citrus juice (any kind)and chicken and every other meat and or seafood are made for each other. Where I live there is a heavy spanish influence. Almost all of the spanish meat dishes are marinated with some form of cirus juice usually lemon or lime sometimes even pineapple juice. There is a spansh marinade sauce called Mojo Criollo which is lemon and orange juice and spices which is essential for spanish style roast pork. Marinating meats in citrus juice is a technique handed down from the ancients as it would preserve and precook the meat. So when you say chicken marinated in lime juice I say yum. If you feel courageous marinate a nice steak in lime juice and grill it seasoning with only salt and pepper Mmmmm :drool: That's it I know what is for dinner tonight :P

• Like 1

2 limes

Celantro

Citrus juice (any kind)and chicken and every other meat and or seafood are made for each other. Where I live there is a heavy spanish influence. Almost all of the spanish meat dishes are marinated with some form of cirus juice usually lemon or lime sometimes even pineapple juice. There is a spansh marinade sauce called Mojo Criollo which is lemon and orange juice and spices which is essential for spanish style roast pork. Marinating meats in citrus juice is a technique handed down from the ancients as it would preserve and precook the meat. So when you say chicken marinated in lime juice I say yum. If you feel courageous marinate a nice steak in lime juice and grill it seasoning with only salt and pepper Mmmmm :drool: That's it I know what is for dinner tonight :P

My way isn't as involved as this, but the idea is certainly not original. http://rasamalaysia....lime-chicken/2/ One hour max on the marinade or else you end up with chicken mush. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

2 limes

Celantro

My next door neighbor grows his own cilantro. I will ask him for some and try this chicken recipe.

Does anyone here have high cholesterol?

Don't know what happened, but within a year, I developed it. Last year I was fine; not so this most recent blood test. So, I have to go on pills and change my diet. I knew I would have to one day, but I didn't expect it so soon. :(

Edited by Lorraine

Don't know what happened, but within a year, I developed it. Last year I was fine; not so this most recent blood test. So, I have to go on pills and change my diet. I knew I would have to one day, but I didn't expect it so soon. :(

Good luck with the meds. No one I know has been able to take them due to the nasty side effects. They tried to put me on some a few years ago and I got cramps in my hands and feet something terrible.

• Like 1

Good luck with the meds. No one I know has been able to take them due to the nasty side effects. They tried to put me on some a few years ago and I got cramps in my hands and feet something terrible.

Thanks for telling me that.

How do you lower it without the medication?

Only other way I know is diet. Eat healthy, less fatty greasy foods, get exercise. Etc. I have read multiple things online about how cholesterol isn't the issue that we've been taught it is. There are plenty of people out there who have low cholesterol and still die from heart disease or strokes or whatever.

• Like 1

Only other way I know is diet. Eat healthy, less fatty greasy foods, get exercise. Etc. I have read multiple things online about how cholesterol isn't the issue that we've been taught it is. There are plenty of people out there who have low cholesterol and still die from heart disease or strokes or whatever.

Thanks for telling me that too. I suspect that's not the only thing we've been rooked into believing

The thing is, I barely eat as it is. It's not like I stuff my face with fatty greasy foods every day.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Thanks for telling me that too. I suspect that's not the only thing we've been rooked into believing

The thing is, I barely eat as it is. It's not like I stuff my face with fatty greasy foods every day.

I will tonight!! :P

• Like 1

I'll knock off the bacon double cheeseburgers on Saturday night and a bacon breakfast on Sunday, and switch from butter to some grotesque margarine that taste good (if I can find one :unsure: ), and see if that does the trick. Edited by Lorraine

High cholesterol seems to be pretty hereditary. Young people can have it eve if they take care of themselves. Also make sure they check for both kinds of cholesterol because the "good kind" can somewhat offset the bad.