Low Cost Healthy and Delicious Meals

Lorraine

Lorraine have you bought the HB slow cooker? I bought mine a few days back and gave it a test run last night. I made a stew in it, on high. It. Was. Amazing. Seriously, amazing. This changes my outlook on slow cookers. I'm so glad I ditched my Crock Pot and got the 6-qt Hamilton-Beach number. Now that the weather has gotten a lot cooler and fall is fast approaching, I'm planning on using it once a week I think.

No. I looked in Fred Meyers yesterday morning and they don't sell HB Slow Cookers, just Crock Pot.

I hate to go back to Wal-Mart this week because all of the welfare-ites are out spending all of their unearned money from Uncle Sam. Hopefully, they still have it on sale next week.

What did you pay for the one you got, Janie?

I don't get the concept of the slow cooker, I'd prefer a FAST cooker! :D-13:

But a slow cooker makes the house smell soooooooo good for soooooooo long. It's a beautiful thing.

I thought cooking smells were bad?? http://r31.imgfast.net/users/3117/42/42/78/smiles/874442478.gif

WTH are you cooking?! Fresh bread smells incredible. Roasted garlic, sautéed onions, bacon frying, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies... IDK, these are good smells. Are you boiling cabbage leaves and frying fish heads or something?!

I cook food!

Lorraine have you bought the HB slow cooker? I bought mine a few days back and gave it a test run last night. I made a stew in it, on high. It. Was. Amazing. Seriously, amazing. This changes my outlook on slow cookers. I'm so glad I ditched my Crock Pot and got the 6-qt Hamilton-Beach number. Now that the weather has gotten a lot cooler and fall is fast approaching, I'm planning on using it once a week I think.

No. I looked in Fred Meyers yesterday morning and they don't sell HB Slow Cookers, just Crock Pot.

I hate to go back to Wal-Mart this week because all of the welfare-ites are out spending all of their unearned money from Uncle Sam. Hopefully, they still have it on sale next week.

I didn't check at FM but did check at BBB and Macy's (both in-store, not online). Neither carried it. I found it at Target and paid $50. Worth every penny. I think I will get a lot of use out this bad boy.

• Like 2

I didn't check at FM but did check at BBB and Macy's (both in-store, not online). Neither carried it. I found it at Target and paid $50. Worth every penny. I think I will get a lot of use out this bad boy.

Don't,

Abuse him to much! :whipgirl: :P

Don't,

I'll use him as I see fit and he's just going to have to take it.

• Like 1

Don't,

Use him and abuse him and he will feed you well, that's what he was made for. The possibilities are endless

• Like 1

Don't,

:LOL:

Lorraine, just thought of you when I bought a precooked 6 1/2lb semi-boneless ham from Publix( a local FL grocery store) on sale $1.49/lb

Ahyhoo this will be the best ham you ever cooked :finbar:

In slow cooker place 5-7lb ham flat side down add 1/2 cup brown sugar (dark or light) mixed with 1/2 cup (preferrably) fresh lime (or lemmon) juice. Note; if fresh juice is not available reconstituded is fine. 4-6 garlic cloves pressed or shredded. 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried cushed red pepper flakes- optional. place lid on slow cooker set on med heat let cook for 5-6 hours basting occasionally during the last couple hours. butter knife or fork out and serve with side(s) of your choice. Enjoy ;)

P.S.

Any precooked shank or butt section of ham will work providing it fits in cooker with lid on. Pay no attention to the do not "over cook" warnings

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 3

Lorraine, just thought of you when I bought a precooked 6 1/2lb semi-boneless ham from Publix( a local FL grocery store) on sale $1.49/lb

Ahyhoo this will be the best ham you ever cooked :finbar:

In slow cooker place 5-7lb ham flat side down add 1/2 cup brown sugar (dark or light) mixed with 1/2 cup (preferrably) fresh lime (or lemmon) juice. Note; if fresh juice is not available reconstituded is fine. 4-6 garlic cloves pressed or shredded. 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried cushed red pepper flakes- optional. place lid on slow cooker set on med heat let cook for 5-6 hours basting occasionally during the last couple hours. butter knife or fork out and serve with side(s) of your choice. Enjoy ;)

P.S.

Any precooked shank or butt section of ham will work providing it fits in cooker with lid on. Pay no attention to the do not "over cook" warnings

I have never thought of that,

Thanks for the info. :cheers:

^ Happy to share, ;) I stumbled on technique semi by accident when I had a ham that I needed to cook but didn't have the time to babysit an oven. So I morphed one of my homemade marinate recipe's threw it in the ole crock pot and it was hands down the best ham I ever cooked! I will not cook a precooked ham any other way from now on!
  • Like 1

^ Happy to share, ;) I stumbled on technique semi by accident when I had a ham that I needed to cook but didn't have the time to babysit an oven. So I morphed one of my homemade marinate recipe's threw it in the ole crock pot and it was hands down the best ham I ever cooked! I will not cook a precooked ham any other way from now on!

Thats how you compromise. :cheers:

My Slow Cooker purchase will have to be placed on the back burner for now. :( Funds need to be conserved as this is the start of the high heating bill season. I am fortunate I was at least able to buy my Dutch oven.

The Dutch oven will serve you well all fall and winter long! I haven't heard yet what kind of winter us Washingtonians are in for. Of course, the east side weather is very different from the west side but still... I've already stocked up on that good old seasoned firewood and have it ready to go.

• Like 2

My Slow Cooker purchase will have to be placed on the back burner for now. :( Funds need to be conserved as this is the start of the high heating bill season. I am fortunate I was at least able to buy my Dutch oven.

The Dutch oven will serve you well all fall and winter long! I haven't heard yet what kind of winter us Washingtonians are in for. Of course, the east side weather is very different from the west side but still... I've already stocked up on that good old seasoned firewood and have it ready to go.

37 degrees this morning up here,

Cranked up the heater. But it is a beautiful fall day.

Our weather has finally started to cool down. It has been really hot for us here in Seattle. We had a very unusual summer. I am SO glad it is cooling down. This is my favorite time of year to eat. Of course, this also means I get my money's worth at the gym.
  • Like 1

Still in the 90's during the day. We did have a bit of a suprise this weekend a weak cold front actually made it through our area Sunday morning. All the weather forecasters were saying all week that it wouldn't even make it and it did. It didn't really cool down the temp but it did bring dry air which is a relief all on it's own. Monday Morning was gorgeous 71 and dry, I felt like dancing in the yard. I can't wait till the 1st real cool dry air comes down in Oct. but maybe this weekend may be a sign it will be sooner as opposed to later. Oh I guess I should mention someting regarding the actual topic of this thread. Idid cook the Ham I had my crock pot style and it was delicious. I am almost to the part that gets thrown in pot of beans or soup. Mmmm maybe split pea and ham yummm :LOL:
  • Like 2

Still in the 90's during the day. We did have a bit of a suprise this weekend a weak cold front actually made it through our area Sunday morning. All the weather forecasters were saying all week that it wouldn't even make it and it did. It didn't really cool down the temp but it did bring dry air which is a relief all on it's own. Monday Morning was gorgeous 71 and dry, I felt like dancing in the yard. I can't wait till the 1st real cool dry air comes down in Oct. but maybe this weekend may be a sign it will be sooner as opposed to later. Oh I guess I should mention someting regarding the actual topic of this thread. Idid cook the Ham I had my crock pot style and it was delicious. I am almost to the part that gets thrown in pot of beans or soup. Mmmm maybe split pea and ham yummm :LOL:

Oh yeah,

Split pea for sure. :D

• Like 1

It will be 98 here today. God, I'm ready for summer to end.
  • Like 1

It will be 98 here today. God, I'm ready for summer to end.

Wanna trade places? :D