LeStudio vandalized :/

ALifeson85

For those who don't know, a Kickstarter fundraiser had been recently started, to restore and re-open LeStudio - which as many of you know, was the studio where several Rush albums were recorded. Apparently, some person(s) recently vandalized (the already abandoned) LeStudio. WTF. :rage:

Edited by ALifeson85

It was really sad to see that video. I think part of the magic of the place was that the iconic view out of the windows still looked the same as in the Tom Sawyer video. Unfortunately, the same thing has happened at least 3 times to historic empty properties near us. The publicity that is released to hopefully find an angel to save the property also lets others know that it is abandoned and is a place for vandalism. I can't imagine how it must feel to create something so beautifully artistic there and then see the place torn up by creeps. RIP Le Studio . . . .
  • Like 4

After visiting there in June and being awestruck with the place, seeing this made my cry. I can't believe someone would do this to such a historical place. I really don't know what to say. This is truly a very sad day for me. I hope whoever did this is caught. The bad part is they probably didn't even understand the significance of the place. This could mean the end of any hope for LeStudio.
  • Like 6

The only thing that can be done NOW, is to just increase the Kickstarter goal, to get enough money donated to fix up and repair all the damages, AND restore the building, as they were intending in the first place. It's a long shot though, but hey....
  • Like 2

The bad part is they probably didn't even understand the significance of the place.

That's what pisses me off the most. People don't care anymore about the significance or historical value of anything these days. They just have this mentality of "I destroyed it because it was there." Absolute punks.

• Like 4

Being a Rush fan for 40+ years and knowing the significance of the place, I almost felt compelled to visit there when I want to Canada for the R40 tour. The main reason I went to the Montreal show was because I planned to visit LeStudio anyway. I just had to see it. It's like a Beatles fan visiting Abbey Road studios. Walking thru the control room door, like so many artists had done so many times, gave me goosebumps. I feel blessed I got to see it and share it with my daughter before this happened. I really feel this could be the last straw for the place. Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 4

It's so sad and pitiful that someone would feel the need to destroy the place like that. The place is going to fall down and no one is going to want to save it. I wonder what the current owners think? It's one thing to try and raise money to have it restored, but if the current owners don't want to have anything to do with that, it'll just up being bulldozed and apartments put in or something. What a shame.
  • Like 2

Being a Rush fan for 40+ years and knowing the significance of the place, I almost felt compelled to visit there when I want to Canada for the R40 tour. The main reason I went to the Montreal show was because I planned to visit LeStudio anyway. I just had to see it. It's like a Beatles fan visiting Abbey Road studios. Walking thru the control room door, like so many artists had done so many times, gave me goosebumps. I feel blessed I got to see it and share it with my daughter before this happened. I really feel this could be the last straw for the place.

I'm so glad you and your daughter got to see it! At least you will always have your wonderful photos and the shared memories of you both visiting there. Little did anyone know at the time that the clock was ticking :(

• Like 1

This is disgusting. If there was any chance I had to visit LeStudio, its probably gone now. When winter comes the interior will be damaged beyond recognition. The owners will probably have it demolished.

I hate to say it but you're probably right. If it is still in the same condition come winter, it is done for. This just makes me so sad. They even destroyed the slate on the pool table. Unreal. The present owners didn't seem to care much about the place. I imagine that they care even less now.

was only matter of time it happens to abandoned buildings unfortunately but thats the reality of it. gotta say i'm kinda disappointed in Rush themselves, seeing as they swimming in cash, that they didnt take some responsibility for the building themselves. just with it being such an iconic thing in their history an all.

i know there's an argument to say hey it isnt their problem and all kinds of other stuff would come into it too but, when you got as much money as these dudes you just click your fingers and make it happen without blinking an eye.

no excuses really for me, dont even care what the opposing argument is. look at it. look at the state of that thing now. love ya guys but you had a serious vested interest in that place, it's a disappointment.

was only matter of time it happens to abandoned buildings unfortunately but thats the reality of it. gotta say i'm kinda disappointed in Rush themselves, seeing as they swimming in cash, that they didnt take some responsibility for the building themselves. just with it being such an iconic thing in their history an all.

i know there's an argument to say hey it isnt their problem and all kinds of other stuff would come into it too but, when you got as much money as these dudes you just click your fingers and make it happen without blinking an eye.

no excuses really for me, dont even care what the opposing argument is. look at it. look at the state of that thing now. love ya guys but you had a serious vested interest in that place, it's a disappointment.

It would have made a nice shrine to their career as an academy for budding musicians, say. Like you say, with their influence it could gave happened fairly easily at little direct cost to them.

This event is a strange contrast to the elation brought in by the success of the tour that just ended.

• Like 4

the place was already gutted and dilapidated. i really don't think the vandals had much to work with. i'm against restoring the studio because the industry has changed so what would be the point of restoring it besides making it a shrine? if anything this is a good thing because it brings attention to a cause at the very least.

the place was already gutted and dilapidated. i really don't think the vandals had much to work with. i'm against restoring the studio because the industry has changed so what would be the point of restoring it besides making it a shrine? if anything this is a good thing because it brings attention to a cause at the very least.

It may have been gutted and dilapidated, but it wasn't completely open to the wrath of Mother Nature. With 75% of the windows now missing, and winter around the corner, anything possibly worth saving won't be for very long. The original main studio was still in okay shape. Gutted yes, but structurally it seemed pretty decent. The newer "video" side was much worse off. With the beautiful and semi remote location, tear down the "new" end and it would make a very cool home at probably not to bad of a price.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

I suspect from Rush's perspective, they may feel it's hard to sink money into abandoned/neglected property. How could they not think that it was abandoned for a reason and that reason (or reasons) would still be a factor after the place was restored?

• Like 3

This is friggin disgusting..Bastards. don't get me goin on it- I'm so glad to have visited LeStudio last November in it's non vandalized state. It means a lot to have walked around in there. It was inevitable something will happen to the building soon with a glimmer of hope it would become a Music or Rush museum of sorts. My LeStudio Sign will always shine bright as a reminder of what this iconic place once was.
  • Like 2

This is friggin disgusting..Bastards. don't get me goin on it- I'm so glad to have visited LeStudio last November in it's non vandalized state. It means a lot to have walked around in there. It was inevitable something will happen to the building soon with a glimmer of hope it would become a Music or Rush museum of sorts. My LeStudio Sign will always shine bright as a reminder of what this iconic place once was.

I wish it looked like the picture in your sig. How incredible that would be.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Le Studio never really had a chance. Big recording studios like that are a thing of the past, and its remote location made using it as some sort of shrine unviable. The place was dilapidated already, and the fact that there seemed to be open access up there made it a target for vandalism. I'd be more bothered if there had been any interest in restoring it, but that didn't seem to be the case.

I think they should try to restore it, but make it into a musem or something like that.

Would it make financial sense for an owner to do that though? Who knows if they would regularly get enough people to visit the place to make it worth doing all that work.

• Like 1