geddy's R40 gear rundown

maxbeckmann

hi,

in response to a previous question i asked here, we now have a glimpse at geddy's rig for the last tour.

an interview with geddy's bass tech skully.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/08/06/geddy-lees-r40-tour-gear-rundown/

i am not a pro. i understand he basically uses the same stuff as the previous tour i.e. : orange amp, sansamp, palmer speaker simulator.

i notice the rivera rock crusher he is using is now the "recording" version.

can anyone tells me the difference between this rig and the one he used on the previous tour ?

i hear skully saying something about a vintech. what is this ?

any help would be much appreciated.

best regards,

mB

The Vintech is a mic pre amp with Neve "style" EQ. Probably used for signal level strength control between devices and EQ.

The Avalon is more of a DI but it does have peramp capability. Probably in a similar place in the multiple signal paths. I mean he has multiple wireless receivers set up for parallel paths as well as a splitter. That tells me at least 4 paths. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

thanks. but i am more interested in his amp rig than his bassextravagansa ! (although there are a lot of sweeties in his collection)

Gotcha.

No worries, I've been seeking for that particular tone for years, too.

"It's all in your fingers" is somewhat correct. ;)

Especially when you split your signal 4 times...
  • Like 1

thanks. but i am more interested in his amp rig than his bassextravagansa ! (although there are a lot of sweeties in his collection)

Gotcha.

No worries, I've been seeking for that particular tone for years, too.

"It's all in your fingers" is somewhat correct. ;)

thank god i am not alone in this quest. i know a lot comes from the fingers but i just cannot believe that gear has not a prominent role in tone.

i also know that cygnusX is not with us on that topic even if he is probably correct.

let's spend even more money on gear !!!!!

Edited by maxbeckmann

Well, if you are splitting your signal into his exact gear then you can come closer. Otherwise you are chasing ghosts.

Seriously though I just changed from round wound to flat wound strings and the tone is FAR superior. The low end is much more solid and the upper harmonics no longer cancel out frequencies. Wished I'd done it sooner.

Tone is personal. Trying to obtain someone else's is like trying to use their fingerprints. I record with a guy who used to think he had to maniacally dial in his tones to exacting specifications. Now we pair a good guitar with a good amp and press record. A quality cable helps too.

Another thing about Live tone running through wireless transmitters/receivers is they do affect tone and not in a good way. When he records Geddy uses a cable, not wireless. The noise added by virtue of wireless degrades the tone which is hard to tell through a loud as f u c k PA system. Plus he's going through the AxeFX. God knows what that's doing...

Plug in, turn up and go "Yeah!" Trying to reproduce anyone else's tone is folly.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Chasing Geddy´s tone has become a sort of a mania/sport/hobby for a lot of us.....but is is FUN! ( do not want to get cured).....having the signal slplitted gets you very close....but his rig becomes more and more complex....I personally did not hear a lot of difference between using the fractal/Vintech/orange combo vs the avalon/palmer/sansamp/orange ( i think i liked better the Time Machine Tour bass tone).....I personally think the Sansamp RPM is if you ask me the key ingredient to get the closest to his tone....Rotos, low action, and 10,000 of practice... :geddy: .

My 2 cents

Ps....Good nutrition/wine and a personal trainer help too!

• Like 1

A life would help too.

Geddy's tone from 30 tears ago I would understand but since they have stopped using speakers on stage their sound has suffered. Significantly. All 3 not just Geddy. Nobody dares say anything to them about it because reverence. Their hearing is suspect and their tones are evidence of that.

Chasing Geddy´s tone has become a sort of a mania/sport/hobby for a lot of us.....but is is FUN! ( do not want to get cured).....having the signal slplitted gets you very close....but his rig becomes more and more complex....I personally did not hear a lot of difference between using the fractal/Vintech/orange combo vs the avalon/palmer/sansamp/orange ( i think i liked better the Time Machine Tour bass tone).....I personally think the Sansamp RPM is if you ask me the key ingredient to get the closest to his tone....Rotos, low action, and 10,000 of practice... :geddy: .

My 2 cents

is there any way to split my signal using garageband ?

for information, i do own an orange ad200 + rivera rock crusher + sansamp rpm + palmer pdi 05.

all i "miss" from the old rig is the avalon.

cygnusx-1bk2 : i know, i know...i may be chasing wind. but at the same time, i am learning.

mB

• Like 1

You need another Orange and at least another Palmer. The Rock Crusher is a power soak which allows for tubes to run optimally at lower output levels to the speaker. It "soaks" up the output power of an amp between the speaker output and the speaker, or in this case the speaker emulator. Which makes very little sense since there are no speakers and thus no room volume issue to soak.

You can split your signal in GarageBand but not before the hardware. His wireless rig is one of the signal splitters because one transmitter can be used by 2 or more receivers on the same frequency whose outputs get routed to the different amp lines for parallel output. He also uses an external splitter. Going by that video there are 2 wireless reveivers active and 2 for backup (or one that outputs 2 signals and one for backup) then for some reason he goes through the AxeFX (which does both amp and speaker emulation) then splits befor the amps. The Oranges feed the Palmers and the SansAmp may or may not go through another and there is more than likely a direct unaffected line (probably from the external splitter). If you don't know much about electronics and level strengths (mic, line, resistance, etc.) it is going to be tough to pull off at all.

Understanding this is only part of the deal.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

My 2 cents

for information, i do own an orange ad200 + rivera rock crusher + sansamp rpm + palmer pdi 05.

cygnusx-1bk2 : i know, i know...i may be chasing wind. but at the same time, i am learning.

mB

Having all that equipment ( congrats!!) I´d try splitting the signal with the RPM...dunno...figuring out what to do with what you got is just part of the fun!!!....what all these guys have tried to do is to have a treble/bass stereo configuration( Rick-O-Sound)...Chris ( RIP) did it his own way with the Marshall/Ampeg configuration , even Jaco did his own with the acoustics...the Styx guy also did it with Crown amplifiers and a crossover, Stanley Clarke does it with the Ampeg SVT´s and a small Fender Guitar amp for crunch , John McVie is doing it with just Orange amps (bass and guitar)....what you want to get is Treble Crunch/ Bass Bottom isolated.....to be able to Hear the notes and Feel the bass end...

My 2 cents :finbar:

There is simply NO way I might try to get the Fractal.....way too much money and have gotten no good feedback about it!!! ...I´d rather $pend it in chasing Rush all over the States in the 2016 NA leg of R40 part II ( there will be an R40 II I bet) :rush:

My 2 cents

mB

There is value in learning to play other people's material and there is value in learning to emulate other people's tone. The key is to take what you learn in both instances and apply that knowledge to your own style and your own sound.

Emulating tone is one thing. Copying a rig is another. :)

hi,

in response to a previous question i asked here, we now have a glimpse at geddy's rig for the last tour.

an interview with geddy's bass tech skully.

http://www.notreble....r-gear-rundown/

i am not a pro. i understand he basically uses the same stuff as the previous tour i.e. : orange amp, sansamp, palmer speaker simulator.

i notice the rivera rock crusher he is using is now the "recording" version.

can anyone tells me the difference between this rig and the one he used on the previous tour ?

i hear skully saying something about a vintech. what is this ?

any help would be much appreciated.

best regards,

mB

The R40 Rig and previous Rigs have two basic differences. 1. He is now using an AxeFx Modeling amp and 2. It sounds like ass. Worst live bass tone I have ever heard in over thirty years of live RUSH shows.

Edited by Stugotz