55 replies to this topic

#41 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

With regards to JL, I think the band deserves many kudos for not only pulling it out for R40, but also for sticking with it.  We know they don't get a lot of joy from playing it, which is why it was skipped for so many years.  And on tours past, they might have dropped it completely after only a few shows or only played it in rotation with something else.  But it stayed in the set for all 35 shows (more than you can say for YYZ, DEW and OLV among others).  And I for one think that is awesome!

Sponsored Post

#42 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

We know they don't get a lot of joy from playing it, which is why it was skipped for so many years.

That was evident from the way Geddy introduced it.   I don't know why they don't care for it, but I think it was selfless of them to do it for the fans who don't share their negative opinion of the beautiful song.

#43 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

View PostLorraine, on 26 August 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

We know they don't get a lot of joy from playing it, which is why it was skipped for so many years.

That was evident from the way Geddy introduced it.   I don't know why they don't care for it, but I think it was selfless of them to do it for the fans who don't share their negative opinion of the beautiful song.
It really was phenomenal live, especially with the light show they put behind it.  Hopefully that part is not completely ignored on the DVD.

#44 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostTexMike, on 26 August 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

It really was phenomenal live, especially with the light show they put behind it.  Hopefully that part is not completely ignored on the DVD.
Even if it is, Tapehead captured it beautifully on her video.  It is preserved, but I'm sure nothing beat being there and actually seeing it.

#45 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

What I can gather is the tempo is boring for them. It's just a slow moving piece that makes people veg out...the band responds to energy from the crowd. My two cents

#46 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 26 August 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

What I can gather is the tempo is boring for them. It's just a slow moving piece that makes people veg out...the band responds to energy from the crowd. My two cents
You're probably right, but I think the song has an intensity to it.  At least for me it does.

#47 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 26 August 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I don't know about veg out.  I certainly wasn't doing that.  :lol:   But it's definitely about building mood and atmosphere beyond just the notes that are being played.  In that respect, it's kinda like Witch Hunt live.

#48 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24833 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostALifeson85, on 14 August 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

I seem to recall rumors of Kid Gloves being in early revisions of the setlist......

We dodged a bullet.

#49 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

It would have been wonderful if they did Kid Gloves.

#50 Bhawk2112

Bhawk2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Countdown was a dud live. It just didn't transfer. The mysterious energy from the studio version got totally lost. The vocals sound very monotone and if you listen to the boots from the Signals tour you can almost hear "I really don't want to sing this" in Geddy's voice.

Here's 12/6/82, Countdown is at about 1:25:55: https://www.youtube....h?v=5Ht6PRzlJOQ

As to Jacob's Ladder, it's one of the simplest songs they've ever written. I've always wondered if they stopped playing it after one tour just because they got bored with it.

#51 bill1971

bill1971

The Seeker

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Maybe you're right Lorraine. Regradless amazing setlist.

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

View Postbill1971, on 28 August 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Maybe you're right Lorraine. Regradless amazing setlist.

That is was!  It must have been wonderful for all that were at Tulsa and heard the set-list unfold.  Personally, had I the good fortune to have been there, I would have probably been catatonic by the end of the show!!  And I don't think I would have been able to contain myself when I realized they were going to do Xanadu.  :laughing guy:
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Lorraine, 28 August 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#53 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

The 2nd half of Jacob's Ladder is anything but simple!  But I do think maybe they avoided this song because they thought the tempo would bore the audience.  They were probably surprised by the reception it got!

#54 Bhawk2112

Bhawk2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

JL has a lot of the same riff repeating. To musicians of their caliber, I'm confident it isn't that difficult at all.

#55 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

For all of those here who watched the Tulsa version of the song, didn't Geddy seem annoyed when he was introducing the song?  I could be 100% wrong, but I got the impression that it was a song that they felt pressured to do and really didn't want to do it.

#56 ALifeson85

ALifeson85

Mortal Kombatant

• Members
  • 1875 posts
  • Interests:Music, playing guitar, movies, video gaming, spending time with my son....

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostLedRush, on 27 August 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostALifeson85, on 14 August 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

I seem to recall rumors of Kid Gloves being in early revisions of the setlist......

We dodged a bullet.

I personally would have really enjoyed seeing Kid Gloves live :yes:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users