Jump to content


Irvine, Los Angles, and a symbolic wave of goodbye from Neil....


126 replies to this topic

#21 andreww

andreww

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'm not worried, they'll be back. The boys are just having too much fun out there. As for Neil, he's jus a drummer and can be replaced.













Kidding people! He's obviously irreplaceable, but I think back to their first show after Neil's personal tragedies. He said "it would have been a shame if we never did this again". I think the same thing will happen again, playing live is addictive and the longer you don't do it, the more that addiction calls to you. Look for a 10 city tour next summer.

Sponsored Post

#22 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 03 August 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

Los Angeles, CA
So much already said on this one. I will say that the boys did not sound nearly as good as they did in Irvine, but no one cared. We all knew the magnitude of the night. There was a different feel to this show that  any I've ever been to. I have never ever been part of a concert experience like this, It was just an epic night. It almost had a red carpet feel to it. There was a buzz in the air and it was a coming together of the Rush geeks in a way like I've never seen. For one, I have never seen so many girls that knew every word to every song. And I have never been with a crowd as intense as this was. The emotion and passion was everywhere.

There was such an amazing energy in the crowd, in the air.  If I hadn't already been in that headspace myself there was no way I could have ignored it.  The only thing better than me feeling the way I did at the show was knowing there were so many other people feeling the same way.

#23 gongbass

gongbass

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ramsey, NJ
  • Interests:Music, Baseball, Running, Books, Travel.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

As people have stated in other posts. The idea of a limited number of shows is improbable. 1) They would have to scale down their production. Some may say they don't care about lights and screens but I think the guys in Rush do. 2) They would still have to rehearse just as much for a week run as they would a 3 month tour. I don't see them taking the time and effort to do this. 3) and most importantly, there wouldn't be enough of a financial return to do limited or one off shows.

I would say maybe they will make new music but I highly doubt they will perform again, aside from maybe 3-4 songs at a benefit or something. Neil had never come to the front of the stage for a bow, I think that was a pretty clear sign.

#24 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

#25 rockinate

rockinate

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

I was there, and that post echoed my sentiments exactly.  The atmosphere--unlike any other show I have ever been to.  The crying--people everywhere (I cried during Losing It).  Jack Black roaming the floor--odd but cool.

#26 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2874 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hershey, PA

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

I'd like to see them do a theater tour...no crazy lights, props, screens, etc.  I think that would be a cool thing to see...but I think the fact that most of their music is a tough "play" is the underlying problem with them continuing....this ISN'T easy RNR like Rolling Stones (who has mostly backup musicians playing, anyway)  or James Taylor-like stuff that's just neat acoustic rock...it takes some physical ability to play this stuff.

The fact that they need to warm up for rehearsals is enough to prove that this is taxing on the body!

#27 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milton Keynes, England

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Any residency would have to be on alternate nights for Ged's voice to survive.
Wouldn't that make the economics prohibitive?

#28 JBsDWdrums

JBsDWdrums

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:macon ga
  • Interests:Drumming in all styles...music...biking...art...cooking...sci fi...good horror movies....Rush

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

Actually the financial argument against touring to me makes no sense...the money today is actually in performing....but the "Neil argument" to me favors them recording as I explained before...I think the guy enjoys that aspect far more and regards touring as a neccesary chore....

A limited run on a smaller scale with less crew financially makes sense to me.

But who knows?

I do think more music will happen.....

I don't think large tours will.....

#29 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪
Probably teary eyed...then hammed up big time by Lerxst...then ending in genuine hugs. Could totally imagine that.

#30 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

Perhaps they'll pull a Pete Sampras. That is, winning the U.S. Open (the site of his first slam), not announcing his retirement, and retiring quietly into the sunset. Don't even remember any retirement announcement from him. Nobody held that against him and his legacy. This isn't sports but it's still entertainment and I can imagine Rush doing it...though I'm not saying they'll do exactly that. Just saying I can imagine it happening that way.

#31 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42109 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostJBsDWdrums, on 04 August 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I think Rush is going to make music as well...not just Geddy not just Alex...not just Geddy and Alex...but Rush with all 3....Neil has I think for a long time wished Rush to be a studio act...he has never publically really had a bad thing to say of the recording experience...and I believe that's the part he truly loves...and has documentd in words in tourbooks for years....I think he likes the creative firing of all cylinders thing...its the touring he hasn't really been wild about for 30 years...

My first show was Signals...my 2nd...g/p....my friends and I waited by the busses as teens...Alex and Geddy were friendly waving to all....Neil?... as soon as he was spotted coming out of the Civic Arena tunnel....he sprinted to the bus..no smile no wave..wearing a yellow shirt and braided ponytail...actually remember him looking afraid....that's long before his personal tradegies too....

You saw them do The Weapon?  For all I know, you may be among those who dislike the song, but I love it.  It's one thing to listen to it, another to watch them do it.  That must've been some moment.

#32 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42109 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry.  At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

#33 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21760 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

I think a lot of the emotion about this tour is because people think they'll never see them again. They obviously went all out on everything. (Except the merchandise which has been sorely lacking) The song choices, bringing back Xanadu with the doublenecks, the light show....etc.

#34 JBsDWdrums

JBsDWdrums

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:macon ga
  • Interests:Drumming in all styles...music...biking...art...cooking...sci fi...good horror movies....Rush

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostJBsDWdrums, on 04 August 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I think Rush is going to make music as well...not just Geddy not just Alex...not just Geddy and Alex...but Rush with all 3....Neil has I think for a long time wished Rush to be a studio act...he has never publically really had a bad thing to say of the recording experience...and I believe that's the part he truly loves...and has documentd in words in tourbooks for years....I think he likes the creative firing of all cylinders thing...its the touring he hasn't really been wild about for 30 years...

My first show was Signals...my 2nd...g/p....my friends and I waited by the busses as teens...Alex and Geddy were friendly waving to all....Neil?... as soon as he was spotted coming out of the Civic Arena tunnel....he sprinted to the bus..no smile no wave..wearing a yellow shirt and braided ponytail...actually remember him looking afraid....that's long before his personal tradegies too....

You saw them do The Weapon?  For all I know, you may be among those who dislike the song, but I love it.  It's one thing to listen to it, another to watch them do it.  That must've been some moment.

I did...complete with Count Floyd...and Countdown which was incredible....

Pearts red Tamas sparkled....Alex wore a white jacket I think...

I just missed seeing the MP tour...so it was amazing...bought a Signals baseball shirt that night too.

Never missed a tour after that...watched the fanbase grow and diversify....felt like Rush went more from cult band to a wider audience by the time they toured Power Windows...never would have guessed Id be seeing them in 2015...no way.

I love the Weapon...and Signals...since it was my first tour its always gonna be special to me....

The final bow...after seeing it ...looked to me like Alex was all smiles BUT was on the verge of almost crying right there...definitely it looked like a tough moment for him to me...just my observation.

Edited by JBsDWdrums, 04 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.


#35 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21760 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry.  At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

I bet they all cried. Neil is a very feeling guy. If you read his books you get that about him. He's passionate about a lot of things, just doesn't feel comfortable showing it around people he doesn't know or feels threatened by. Geddy looked like he was going to break down any minute at the end of the show. What an end.

#36 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42109 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostJBsDWdrums, on 04 August 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostJBsDWdrums, on 04 August 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I think Rush is going to make music as well...not just Geddy not just Alex...not just Geddy and Alex...but Rush with all 3....Neil has I think for a long time wished Rush to be a studio act...he has never publically really had a bad thing to say of the recording experience...and I believe that's the part he truly loves...and has documentd in words in tourbooks for years....I think he likes the creative firing of all cylinders thing...its the touring he hasn't really been wild about for 30 years...

My first show was Signals...my 2nd...g/p....my friends and I waited by the busses as teens...Alex and Geddy were friendly waving to all....Neil?... as soon as he was spotted coming out of the Civic Arena tunnel....he sprinted to the bus..no smile no wave..wearing a yellow shirt and braided ponytail...actually remember him looking afraid....that's long before his personal tradegies too....

You saw them do The Weapon?  For all I know, you may be among those who dislike the song, but I love it.  It's one thing to listen to it, another to watch them do it.  That must've been some moment.

I did...complete with Count Floyd...and Countdown which was incredible....

Pearts red Tamas sparkled....Alex wore a white jacket I think...

I just missed seeing the MP tour...so it was amazing...bought a Signals baseball shirt that night too.

Never missed a tour after that...watched the fanbase grow and diversify....felt like Rush went more from cult band to a wider audience by the time they toured Power Windows...never would have guessed Id be seeing them in 2015...no way.

Alex wore one of those gauzy jackets that was popular at the time.   They were light weight and very comfortable.

#37 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42109 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 04 August 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry.  At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

I bet they all cried. Neil is a very feeling guy. If you read his books you get that about him. He's passionate about a lot of things, just doesn't feel comfortable showing it around people he doesn't know or feels threatened by. Geddy looked like he was going to break down any minute at the end of the show. What an end.

Did he really?

#38 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 10259 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry.  At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

He has said the pain is more in his feet than his hands. Lets make sure we have all the available info.

#39 Supersyl

Supersyl

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostLorraine, on 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostChicken hawk, on 04 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wonder if Ged, Alex , Or Neil cried after they exited the stage...

♥♥♥♥♪♪

I think it's very safe to assume Neil didn't cry.  At all.

Geddy, no - he is very disciplined.

Alex - if any one of them would have, it would have been him, but I think he is in such pain with his hands that even though I think he felt very bad, he was relieved it was over.

Look at the final song that's everywhere on Youtube.... Look at Geddy just jamming Garden Road in front of the stage looking into emptyness.... This is NOT a guy who's happy this is ending.... Look at Neil and his giddiness (No pun intended) leaving his kit the EXACT second the show ends, like a kid who just finished school... He COULDN"T wait to get out of there.... Look at his "bye bye!" and the way he bolts off the stage.... Look at Alex, standing there, not knowing what to do... Look at Geddy saying " "I" truly hope we'll see each other again".... Then taking a final look at the stage, heartbroken (And I think saying "Bye bye" to it)... (And the tap on the back from the roadie who probably knew how Geddy was feeling as he was handing him his bass) All the info we need is there..... The old expression goes "There wasn't a dry eye in the house" well, yes there were... TWO! Neil's eyes.... He was so happy to get out of there, I found it almost indecent.... I don't think we'll see Neil again.... Mosbach posted that "End Of The Road" pic after the show.... That Anderson guy's tweet... John Good... These are all people related to Neil (Don't think Al & Geddy have much of a relationship with any of those).... The only 2 people always saying in interviews that it's not the end are Geddy and Alex.... Someone wrote here on the board (Earl??) that Neil left the party pretty quick, while Geddy & Alex stayed 'til 2:30.... It's all there..... Geddy & Alex are on their own.....

On another note, saw somwewhere that in recent weeks, some idiots went and broke every remaining thing at Le Studio (Exterior windows, etc...) I TRULY hope that Rush fans who visit that place aren't doing that stuff........... The stupid media went and talked about the whole thing this Spring... Well... They probably just ended up doing the building in......... Now every idiot in town will go and party and squat and break everything... Way to go....

#40 Self-Indulgence

Self-Indulgence

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4620 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Interests:Music

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

Geddy said:  "...and I do hope we'll meet again sometime."

Posted Image



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users