Irvine, Los Angles, and a symbolic wave of goodbye from Neil....

LeaveMyThingAlone

After years of Neil complaining about touring for decades now, I'd say it's pretty amazing he played about up to a month before his 63rd birthday. On top of that for 13 years after the death of his wife and daughter.

Sounds corny but as they walked off the stage in Irvine I said more to myself "goodbye Rush"

• Like 1

Perspective, folks.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Neil was done. He went through unimaginable hell and somehow found his way forward. Who are any of us to fault the guy for wanting to focus on his family? Alex made it clear in interviews that Neil did the R40 tour out of obligation; he felt that he owed Geddy and Alex for being there during his darkest days and wanted to do right by them.

So he did. He toured and was a complete pro on every level. If he's done after this, then he's earned it. Trying to read into his expressions is just ridiculous.

Not to mentioned that he's dealing with physical issues (as is Alex). If they're done, then they went out on an insanely high note and they did it with style and grace. Celebrate that! :)

Edited by project37
  • Like 4

:goodone:

I'm smiling. My last few weeks have been pretty amazing, and it's all Rush's fault. I am so grateful I was able to be at that LA show. Phenomenal.

Still smiling.

• Like 5

Perspective, folks.

Neil was done. He went through unimaginable hell and somehow found his way forward. Who are any of us to fault the guy for wanting to focus on his family? Alex made it clear in interviews that Neil did the R40 tour out of obligation; he felt that he owed Geddy and Alex for being there during his darkest days and wanted to do right by them.

So he did. He toured and was a complete pro on every level. If he's done after this, then he's earned it. Trying to read into his exp<b></b>ressions is just ridiculous.

Not to mentioned that he's dealing with physical issues (as is Alex). If they're done, then they went out on an insanely high note and they did it with style and grace. Celebrate that! :)

Absolutely!

As I've been saying- I'm grateful for every moment I've been privileged to enjoy.

• Like 2

:goodone:

I'm smiling. My last few weeks have been pretty amazing, and it's all Rush's fault. I am so grateful I was able to be at that LA show. Phenomenal.

Still smiling.

I wish you were single.

Just kidding.

RUSH ON!

LA FORUM best show EVER!

• Like 1

I think Rush is going to make music as well...not just Geddy not just Alex...not just Geddy and Alex...but Rush with all 3....Neil has I think for a long time wished Rush to be a studio act...he has never publically really had a bad thing to say of the recording experience...and I believe that's the part he truly loves...and has documentd in words in tourbooks for years....I think he likes the creative firing of all cylinders thing...its the touring he hasn't really been wild about for 30 years...

My first show was Signals...my 2nd...g/p....my friends and I waited by the busses as teens...Alex and Geddy were friendly waving to all....Neil?... as soon as he was spotted coming out of the Civic Arena tunnel....he sprinted to the bus..no smile no wave..wearing a yellow shirt and braided ponytail...actually remember him looking afraid....that's long before his personal tradegies too....

This story mirrors mine so much it's like listening to myself describe how I first discovered them. My first show was the Signals tour. I too bought a baseball jersey(and a tourbook!). I went to the GUP tour next, and have never looked back since.

I am so grateful to have had the joy of seeing Rush 18 times since '82. They've been one of the constants in my life, and I will always have a spot in my heart for all three of them. I've been playing bass since I was 14 thanks to Geddy. Now my son, who is 14, is playing bass, because of Geddy. I got to share 2 tours with my boy and he has taken up the mantel of a serious Rush fan like his old man. I hope we get to see them again, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. A new album would be even better in my opinion because it will last forever, unlike another show.

Either way, I cannot feel anything but happiness and gratitude to those 3 guys from Canada. They have made my life much more enjoyable, and if I could say just one thing to them, it would be "Thank You."

To me, there was just an awkwardness to his demeanor, and that had to do with his social anxieties and shyness more than anything. I did not at feel he was sad or emotional. I think he was probably relieved it is over but also wanted to do something a little different to show everyone the reality of what this night was. Everyone trying to interpret what each member is thinking as it's happening is a bit much.

I would guess Geddy and Alex may have gotten a bit emotional afterwards. I think they had both held out hope of this not being the end, but they know what Neil was saying with all that and it probably sunk in afterwards.

You must be the least observant person on here. I mean that with the utmost respect. The picture posted earlier couldn't be more clear.

Uhhhh....ok. Did I hot a nerve? That seems so random...

It's ironic you say that because I have a tendency to be obsessively observant to a fault. I was watching Neil closely from the 2nd set on and I was in the 2nd row Geddy side by the end when Neil he came out, but was was watching him most of the night. I had a closeup view of it all. I stated an opinion about what that facial expression was. I watched his face the whole time. It struck me as an overly smiling forced grin as a way to deal with dealing with something he was likely extremely uncomfortable with. In no way did it strike me as sadness. But you have your picture and your opinion and I have the show from and mine. Opinions are good like that.

I was lucky enough to be up front for both shows. Rush has meant more to me then can be put into words on a forum, so the fact that their last 2 shows of their brilliant/unprecedented/incredible career came in my backyard meant it was time to see them out in style, despite the setbacks to the bank accounts.

Irvine, CA

This has always been one of my favorite places to see a show. I've never seen one here where the sound was not crisp, and this show was no exception. I was front row Alex's side. I wanted a chance to watch the true unsung hero of Rush work his magic up close. Having watched some of the Youtube videos of the earlier shows, I expected a couple small mistakes, but Alex was absolutely brilliant that night. In fact, all 3 were on their "A" game in Irvine. They were incredibly tight and I did not hear any flubs. Sadly, it was evident to me that Alex was playing in pain, at least for most of the first set. He looked uncomfortable and like he was really straining to stay on top of it. I felt for him, but like the warrior and professional he is, he fought through it. I am not sure if he took a few bong hits during intermission, but he seemed like a totally different guy the second half. He was more like the goofy Alex we all know, He was having more fun and seemed to be playing with much more ease. Jacob's Ladder is perhaps my favorite performance from Alex, and I just watched in awe. He plays it with so much feel and so much soul. This setlist was epic with Natural Science in there. It's always such a crowd favorite that they seem to love playing.

Geddy's vocals were amazing. He was on it. Of course, it wasn't perfection, but it was as close to it as you can get at this stage of his career and after a zillion shows singing the way he has...

Neil played perfectly all night. However, he did drop his drumstick twice on his throw in the airs.....very disappointing ;) He started showing his goofy side by kind of playfully running behind his drum set and hiding between Working Man and Garden Road.

There was a full moon that night. From where we were sitting, there was an incredible view of that full moon as Rush was coming on stage with a very crisp clear full moon right behind Neil's kit. Based on some of the other shows I've seen online, I'd say this may have been Rush's best show of the tour.

Los Angeles, CA

So much already said on this one. I will say that the boys did not sound nearly as good as they did in Irvine, but no one cared. We all knew the magnitude of the night. There was a different feel to this show that any I've ever been to. I have never ever been part of a concert experience like this, It was just an epic night. It almost had a red carpet feel to it. There was a buzz in the air and it was a coming together of the Rush geeks in a way like I've never seen. For one, I have never seen so many girls that knew every word to every song. And I have never been with a crowd as intense as this was. The emotion and passion was everywhere. As the show was about to start, we saw the 3 guys wearing kimonos dressed as the boys circa 2112 sit in the row next to us. On the other side, was a young lady wearing her kimono. A couple rows behind us were Taylor Hawkins and Chad Smith. Jack Black was roaming around the floor by himself just rocking out (odd but cool), I also heard sightings of Michael Moore, Jason Siegel, and passed Bubbles on my way back to my seat for the 2nd half.

Going into this show, I felt pretty sure it would be their last. Sadly, I'm more sure of that than ever after watching the end. Neil was really getting out of his box by the end of the night. He was posing for some shots for some people in the front row by making some really goofy faces--- as early as 2112. I don't know if he knew them or not, but, regardless, it was very out of character. Then we all know about the camera, pictures, and spontaneous bow with the boys. Without a doubt, this was his way of saying goodbye to the fans and his way of telling Alex and Geddy that this is it. It was a very strange and awkward final bow, just because no one knew what was happening. Neil's look on his face was just priceless. I would bet that this was one of the most difficult things Neil has ever done. Harder than playing those drums like a monster every show. This was completely out of his comfort zone and the social anxiety kind of showed just by the way he was grinning.The way he snuck up behind them like a little kid was a memory I'll always have. He mouthed goodbye and that was it. Geddy gave us the usual "maybe someday down the road perhaps our paths will cross again possibly you never know", but he and Alex know Neil better than anyone, and they had to know there was a purpose to what Neil did.

As we walked out, we passed so many fans crying. We passed many many fans still sitting in their chars not wanting it to be over. People were screaming for a 2nd encore. (I was sure there would be one) But nothing ceremoniously. No tributes. No official goodbyes. No acknowledgment that this was the end, other than the subtleties already mentioned. It's just not in Rush's nature.

I discovered this band in 1987. I can't believe how lucky I got to have them another 28 years. What we have witnessed with this band is incredible and will never ever come close to being duplicated again. Those 3 guys gave us 40 years of music that is untouchable. At 60+, to play shows like that is just ridiculous. I think as time goes on, their legacy will only grow stronger. The "mainstream" finally started getting how amazing these guys are 10 years ago, and I am so happy that they got such deserved recognition outside of the cult band stuff, because they need to be recognized as truly iconic. Unparalleled. The best rock musicians to ever come together as band. Selfishly, I feel very sad that I won't see them do this again, even though retiring is the right thing for them to do now. They are still on top and still brilliant performers, and that's the way to go out.

Thank you Alex, Geddy, and Neil for putting your heart and soul into every show and every song on record and never settling for less than the best you can give us!

Very well put. I was watching that online and I'll never forget what Neil did for the rest of my life.

I was in Hartford in 2002 when they came back after we all thought it was over. I won't ever forget that night either. I imagine the vibe in LA was rather unique too.

I may be in the minority, but I'm pretty happy and proud of them and we've been so fortunate, especially during the last 13 plus years.

• Like 2

What did John Good say? I also didn't see the pic you are referencing from his riding partner

You can see it here:

https://instagram.com/p/535FRcAZ9_/

All I got was a blank page with "Instagram" in the upper left-hand corner.

It's just the pic from the video at the end of the show where they're walking down the hall away from the camera.

Okay. so if this was not taken in LA, it loses some of the power.

Perspective, folks.

So he did. He toured and was a complete pro on every level. If he's done after this, then he's earned it. Trying to read into his expressions is just ridiculous.

That's the way I've been feeling this whole tour. Nobody but them knows how close it came to this tour not happening at all.

I'd guess we lucked out yet again.

Your mileage may vary.

I has to end sometime. Now seems like a good time. I've watched some Van Halen videos and DLR is brutal. Anyone complaining of Ged's voice should have a listen. He's quite remarkable for his age compared to some other singers.

Yeah, but Dave never really had a voice to begin with. Geddy did.

I mean no disrespect, but I really have to disagree with this. I am a huge Rush fan, and listen to early VH (no Van Hagar for me, thank you very much) mostly as ear candy - not much now compared to HS - and I have not listened to DLR on this tour for comparison. But -- DLR in his prime - great vocals - give "Ice Cream Man" off their debut a listen.

• Like 1

I has to end sometime. Now seems like a good time. I've watched some Van Halen videos and DLR is brutal. Anyone complaining of Ged's voice should have a listen. He's quite remarkable for his age compared to some other singers.

I mean no disrespect, but I really have to disagree with this. I am a huge Rush fan, and listen to early VH (no Van Hagar for me, thank you very much) mostly as ear candy - not much now compared to HS - and I have not listened to DLR on this tour for comparison. But -- DLR in his prime - great vocals - give "Ice Cream Man" off their debut a listen.

I can't sing for anything, so anyone who can carry a tune is okay in my book.

I always thought Dave could sing too, but the resident experts here advised me otherwise in one of the fifty-two Van Halen threads we have going here (alright, it's not 52 threads, but it sure seems like it). Being no expert myself, I always defer to their opinion. :)

What do I know anyway. :huh:

What did John Good say? I also didn't see the pic you are referencing from his riding partner

You can see it here:

https://instagram.com/p/535FRcAZ9_/

All I got was a blank page with "Instagram" in the upper left-hand corner.

It's just the pic from the video at the end of the show where they're walking down the hall away from the camera.

Okay. so if this was not taken in LA, it loses some of the power.

Hmmm...I had not seen this pic and post from MM. It does appear to be legitimately from his account. Given how close he is to Neil (at least as far as anyone knows) - that statement "The end of the road..." and showing NP out in front of Alex and Geddy does seem rather telling. I'd like to think that it, along with all the other indications of 'finality' really are just confirming that this is the end of the touring aspect of his/Rush's career. While all of this has taken on a kind of 'The Walrus is Paul' sort of feeling, overall, I just don't think we could have witnessed Geddy say "I do hope we meet again" if NP was truly done playing live with Rush. They are too close to not communicate with each other about that.

I can't sing for anything, so anyone who can carry a tune is okay in my book.

I always thought Dave could sing too, but the resident experts here advised me otherwise in one of the fifty-two Van Halen threads we have going here (alright, it's not 52 threads, but it sure seems like it). Being no expert myself, I always defer to their opinion. :)

What do I know anyway. :huh:

Maybe I'll search sometime and see what the resident experts say - I can't sing either, but to my ears DLR sounded good back then. I also recently watched the 2009 Celebration Day Led Zep show and thought Plant sounded great. I will say this - last night I watched R30 and a few weeks ago I watched ESL - Geddy sounded so good on those compared to Time Machine and CA. R40 is better than both of those, so I truly give him props on this tour and at this stage of his life/career. All that said, I simply have to listen and enjoy each in their relative time from their career. And I'm truly thankful that they recorded them so that I can continue to do so long after "whatever this tour is" becomes known.

• Like 1

Thanks to EagleMoon, I just watched the end of the LA show.

I can't imagine what that moment was like for all of you who were there as it was intensely emotional just watching it. I can't recall ever hearing Alex play Working Man like that and had to remind myself that this was a 62 year old man up there, and not a 21 year old kid.

As for Neil and what he did, a few things. There aren't many better feelings in the world that beat accomplishment and the end of a job well done. I sensed a man that was celebrating that as well as, in his own way, thanking the fans. He very much surprised Alex and Geddy. Geddy seemed more astounded by what Neil did than Alex (who incidentally I never recall ever blowing kisses to the audience, but I don't know everything and he may very well have in the past years).

There was a lot of emotion in that moment for sure. I envy all of you who were there and actually witnessed and were part of it.

Edited by Lorraine

Probably because Neils capacity as a drummer works better in a band enviorment?

He's not the type of player to walk in and sight read material he's never played...heck even by CA he was telling Drum magazine he rarely counts when he plays....BOTH skills sets are needed to be a studio player.....

I was lucky enough to be up front for both shows. Rush has meant more to me then can be put into words on a forum, so the fact that their last 2 shows of their brilliant/unprecedented/incredible career came in my backyard meant it was time to see them out in style, despite the setbacks to the bank accounts.

Irvine, CA

This has always been one of my favorite places to see a show. I've never seen one here where the sound was not crisp, and this show was no exception. I was front row Alex's side. I wanted a chance to watch the true unsung hero of Rush work his magic up close. Having watched some of the Youtube videos of the earlier shows, I expected a couple small mistakes, but Alex was absolutely brilliant that night. In fact, all 3 were on their "A" game in Irvine. They were incredibly tight and I did not hear any flubs. Sadly, it was evident to me that Alex was playing in pain, at least for most of the first set. He looked uncomfortable and like he was really straining to stay on top of it. I felt for him, but like the warrior and professional he is, he fought through it. I am not sure if he took a few bong hits during intermission, but he seemed like a totally different guy the second half. He was more like the goofy Alex we all know, He was having more fun and seemed to be playing with much more ease. Jacob's Ladder is perhaps my favorite performance from Alex, and I just watched in awe. He plays it with so much feel and so much soul. This setlist was epic with Natural Science in there. It's always such a crowd favorite that they seem to love playing.

Geddy's vocals were amazing. He was on it. Of course, it wasn't perfection, but it was as close to it as you can get at this stage of his career and after a zillion shows singing the way he has...

Neil played perfectly all night. However, he did drop his drumstick twice on his throw in the airs.....very disappointing ;) He started showing his goofy side by kind of playfully running behind his drum set and hiding between Working Man and Garden Road.

There was a full moon that night. From where we were sitting, there was an incredible view of that full moon as Rush was coming on stage with a very crisp clear full moon right behind Neil's kit. Based on some of the other shows I've seen online, I'd say this may have been Rush's best show of the tour.

Los Angeles, CA

So much already said on this one. I will say that the boys did not sound nearly as good as they did in Irvine, but no one cared. We all knew the magnitude of the night. There was a different feel to this show that any I've ever been to. I have never ever been part of a concert experience like this, It was just an epic night. It almost had a red carpet feel to it. There was a buzz in the air and it was a coming together of the Rush geeks in a way like I've never seen. For one, I have never seen so many girls that knew every word to every song. And I have never been with a crowd as intense as this was. The emotion and passion was everywhere. As the show was about to start, we saw the 3 guys wearing kimonos dressed as the boys circa 2112 sit in the row next to us. On the other side, was a young lady wearing her kimono. A couple rows behind us were Taylor Hawkins and Chad Smith. Jack Black was roaming around the floor by himself just rocking out (odd but cool), I also heard sightings of Michael Moore, Jason Siegel, and passed Bubbles on my way back to my seat for the 2nd half.

Going into this show, I felt pretty sure it would be their last. Sadly, I'm more sure of that than ever after watching the end. Neil was really getting out of his box by the end of the night. He was posing for some shots for some people in the front row by making some really goofy faces--- as early as 2112. I don't know if he knew them or not, but, regardless, it was very out of character. Then we all know about the camera, pictures, and spontaneous bow with the boys. Without a doubt, this was his way of saying goodbye to the fans and his way of telling Alex and Geddy that this is it. It was a very strange and awkward final bow, just because no one knew what was happening. Neil's look on his face was just priceless. I would bet that this was one of the most difficult things Neil has ever done. Harder than playing those drums like a monster every show. This was completely out of his comfort zone and the social anxiety kind of showed just by the way he was grinning.The way he snuck up behind them like a little kid was a memory I'll always have. He mouthed goodbye and that was it. Geddy gave us the usual "maybe someday down the road perhaps our paths will cross again possibly you never know", but he and Alex know Neil better than anyone, and they had to know there was a purpose to what Neil did.

As we walked out, we passed so many fans crying. We passed many many fans still sitting in their chars not wanting it to be over. People were screaming for a 2nd encore. (I was sure there would be one) But nothing ceremoniously. No tributes. No official goodbyes. No acknowledgment that this was the end, other than the subtleties already mentioned. It's just not in Rush's nature.

I discovered this band in 1987. I can't believe how lucky I got to have them another 28 years. What we have witnessed with this band is incredible and will never ever come close to being duplicated again. Those 3 guys gave us 40 years of music that is untouchable. At 60+, to play shows like that is just ridiculous. I think as time goes on, their legacy will only grow stronger. The "mainstream" finally started getting how amazing these guys are 10 years ago, and I am so happy that they got such deserved recognition outside of the cult band stuff, because they need to be recognized as truly iconic. Unparalleled. The best rock musicians to ever come together as band. Selfishly, I feel very sad that I won't see them do this again, even though retiring is the right thing for them to do now. They are still on top and still brilliant performers, and that's the way to go out.

Thank you Alex, Geddy, and Neil for putting your heart and soul into every show and every song on record and never settling for less than the best you can give us!

What a beautiful post! You nailed it!

Someone probably said it before, but Alex said in an interview (I think it was on August 7th, a few days after the end of the tour) that the tour definitely wasn't the end of the band. weather that means smaller tours or just records, I don't care. As long as they aren't done for good, I'm satisfied.

I think most people are agreed Geddy is still got some fire in his belly...

Does he ever! That man is alive. I shook my head in wonder watching him during the Tulsa show video wondering how he does it. He must keep himself in very good shape. His enthusiasm is so evident.

I guess being a wine lover + his fav pastrami on rye sandwiches w/ pickles on the side( kosher of course)+yoga sessions keep him on top shape.....his love for music and bass playing and collecting must help too!! :geddy: