Rowdy Roddy Piper dead at 61

Xanadoood

Holy shit :(

One of my favorites ever. There were very few better talkers and not many wrestlers were able to draw legitimate hate from the crowd like he did back in the mid 80s. I'm surprised he died but there's also a part of me that isn't given all that he put his body through. One of the most entertaining characters in pro wrestling history.

RIP Hot Rod :rose:

• Like 1

Holy shit :(

One of my favorites ever. There were very few better talkers and not many wrestlers were able to draw legitimate hate from the crowd like he did back in the mid 80s. I'm surprised he died but there's also a part of me that isn't given all that he put his body through. One of the most entertaining characters in pro wrestling history.

RIP Hot Rod :rose:

Yep. He was a heel you could actually like. One of the first Pro Wrestlers I recognized back in the day.

I look back and wonder how it was possible for this guy to have been so popular. His half black face stunt.... His homophobic rants... His all around atrociousness.

And... then.... I realize the truth... he was the greatest heel in the history wrestling. A great showman. A fantastic entertainer. A hot rod if there ever was one.

I hope they have an ample supply of bubble gum upstairs....

• Like 1

I used to watch Roddy in the mid to late 70's in LA, where he was part of the National Wrestling Alliance. Televised wrestling was part of a one-two punch that featured wrestling and roller derby. Good stuff!
  • Like 1

I used to watch Roddy in the mid to late 70's in LA, where he was part of the National Wrestling Alliance. Televised wrestling was part of a one-two punch that featured wrestling and roller derby. Good stuff!

Roller derby was the shizznit! And, so was Pac-Man. Ah, the 80s.

Roller derby was the shizznit! And, so was Pac-Man. Ah, the 80s.

Roller derby... LA TBirds, baby! Skinny Minnie Miller...Little Ralphie Valaderez...

^^^ Classic.

How do you think this would fly today? :D

RIP, HotRod.

It wouldn't fly today. The WWE is a publicly traded company now with investors Vince McMahon needs to answer to. It's a shame to because they have a current guy on their roster by the name of Dean Ambrose who is very similar to Piper with his character. But since Vince doesn't take chances on TV anymore the character is nowhere near as good as it could be.

• Like 2

Which is why wrestling today is stupid.

What makes it worse is they have plenty of talented and entertaining people on the roster but Vince is just too old and out of touch to know how to utilize them properly.

• Like 1

What makes it worse is they have plenty of talented and entertaining people on the roster but Vince is just too old and out of touch to know how to utilize them properly.

I can't wait for Vince to retire and take Kevin Dunn with him. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a while still. I wouldn't say creative is at an all-time low right now (looking at you 1995, shout out to Mantaur), but as a lifelong fan, it's even starting to test my patience. Let's just hope they don't f**k up Cesaro's momentum again.

A couple of years ago I thought I would try to get into it again. I read up on the recent history and the current angles and everything and watched some episodes of RAW. The thing that struck me was how much of nothing happened. When I was a kid and watched they at least had some action. Also we got Bobby the Brain Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon hamming it up for us. This doesnt happen now. Its boring.

I know I shouldn't say this, but that's the trouble with Vince. I always liked him when he did commentating, but he got rather ahead of himself and big-headed.