Brian May (Queen)

Steve Rothery (Marillion)

Chris Fry (Magenta)

Lita Ford

Frank Zappa

Lita ford!?

Yes? Something wrong?

No. Nothing at all. Lita Ford is a monster player. One of the greats.. Haha

Yes. I think she is great, ok? This thread was not about which guitar players that is best. This was about which guitar players you like, which is your favorites.

Understood?

Did I tell you about the party I went to last weekend? Didn't get laid, but got in a fight. Was awfull.

• Like 1

My favorites are:

Alex Lifeson ( :rush: )

Brian May (Queen)

Chris Fry (Magenta)

Lita Ford

Frank Zappa

Lita ford!?

Yes? Something wrong?

No. Nothing at all. Lita Ford is a monster player. One of the greats.. Haha

Yes. I think she is great, ok? This thread was not about which guitar players that is best. This was about which guitar players you like, which is your favorites.

Understood?

Did I tell you about the party I went to last weekend? Didn't get laid, but got in a fight. Was awfull.

I'm not surprised by any of this.

My favorites are:

Alex Lifeson ( :rush: )

Brian May (Queen)

Chris Fry (Magenta)

Lita Ford

Frank Zappa

I would like to add a another guitar player that I forgot!

Joe Bonamassa!

Not in any order.

Dave Mustaine

Lerxst

Jimmy Page

Malcolm and Angus Young

Tony Iommi

Randy Rhoads (R.I.P)

Steve Clark (underrated, R.I.P)

Jeff Beck

Eddie Van Halen

David Gilmour

Brian May

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Marty Friedman

Edited by Polaris

I listened to the first Led Zeppelin album today, my favourite by them. I bought it when it came out. It was released in January 1969, meaning it was recorded in 1968. The guitar by Page on that album still astonishes me today. Back in 1968, it was frontier, trailblazing, whatever you want to call it. I will always love it.
  • Like 3

I listened to the first Led Zeppelin album today, my favourite by them. I bought it when it came out. It was released in January 1969, meaning it was recorded in 1968. The guitar by Page on that album still astonishes me today. Back in 1968, it was frontier, trailblazing, whatever you want to call it. I will always love it.

What an opening cord / song from a debut album. I remember when it was released too. My buddy called me to come over and this to this new band. I was 13 at the time and it blew me away.

http://youtu.be/zzNtDRhqfB8

• Like 2

Well,

Lifeson

Rhoads

Clapton

Page

Buckingham

Muehleisen

Nick Webb

Greg Carmichael

Satriani

David Gavurin

Cantrell

Hammett

Knopfler

Gilmour

Wesley

Malmsteen

Iommi

John 5

Felder

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

I was going to start a new thread, but am sticking my question on Zumbi's guitar player thread.

What made Jimi Hendrix such a good guitar player? What did he do that was so special and different that other guitarists didn't do before him?

I'm listening to him right now and he doesn't sound so special to me.

I was going to start a new thread, but am sticking my question on Zumbi's guitar player thread.

What made Jimi Hendrix such a good guitar player? What did he do that was so special and different that other guitarists didn't do before him?

I'm listening to him right now and he doesn't sound so special to me.

Ummmmm...

{Waits for someone to say that Hendrix was over-rated}

You could justifiably group electric guitar into two epochs - Pre Hendrix and Post Hendrix.

I'm not scholarly enough to say what made Hendrix such a good guitarist - in a technical/quantifiable sense. I wasn't even much of a fan until I was with my old guitar teacher and really listened to Hendrix play.

IMO what I love about Hendrix's playing:

1. Dynamics (not talking about how many notes you can play in sweep arpeggios). Hendrix knew when to make a note 'sing' and when to make it 'scream'.

2. Swagger - Particularly in regards to his phenomenal rhythm playing. The ability to push and pull the rhythm of the song and play 'around' the time (if that makes sense).

Was Hendrix the first guitarist to do those things? I'd say probably not - but he had the right sound at the right time.

Keep in mind that we can't help but compare Hendrix to guitarists who came after (and benefited from) the path that Hendrix made.

I see Ritchie Blackmore in much the same way - sure the Malmsteen's and shredders that came along after Blackmore played faster and more complex arrangements. IMO what they could not match was Blackmore's musicality.

• Like 2

Hendrix made the electric guitar truly electric .. He utilized his amps and effects pedals in ways that had not been done.. Just watch his performance at Woodstock ..
  • Like 2

Hendrix made the electric guitar truly electric .. He utilized his amps and effects pedals in ways that had not been done.. Just watch his performance at Woodstock ..

Exactly. He was a real innovator especially in regards to amp distortion and changed the way guitarists played after he was around. He had major stage presence, he burned his guitar for cripes sake. :) And he brought guitar to the forefront of rock music. He did things with the whammy bar and effects that hadn't really been done that way before.

• Like 1

When it comes to Hendrix, words become meaningless

“You never told me he was that f***ing good.”

— Eric Clapton

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1