Good week for the Blue Jays!!

Syrinx

First Tulo - HR, 2 doubles, 3 rbi's and 3 runs in his first game. Now David Price! We are making a push for this season!

Given the number of prospects sent away, it seems more like going all-in. Now to see if it pays off....

the Jays know Geddy is retiring this week, so they timed these deals accordingly. He will probably start showing up sitting behind home plate after L.A. Show is done, lol.

These types of trades have a mixed record. I'm always a fan of standing pat in these situations and not mortgaging the future for a one game playoff or even a division title.

First Tulo - HR, 2 doubles, 3 rbi's and 3 runs in his first game. Now David Price! We are making a push for this season!

You're renting Price for a few months and it cost you 3 top pitching prospects. suckers!

the Jays know Geddy is retiring this week, so they timed these deals accordingly. He will probably start showing up sitting behind home plate after L.A. Show is done, lol.

These types of trades have a mixed record. I'm always a fan of standing pat in these situations and not mortgaging the future for a one game playoff or even a division title.

I do think their GM might be gripping a bit. He's taken some heat for not living up to the hype and expectations the past few years and, believe it or not, the Jays have the longest current playoff drought in MLB.

At this point, I think their all-in is truly that.... an attempt to win it all this year. The Jays definitely improved their roster and put their name firmly in the conversation (for now, at least). But given how the Royals improved their roster... even the moves Houston made.... I think the Jays have a tough road to the pennant if they make the playoffs. The AL mix is now KC, Houston, LAA, NYY, and Toronto.

I am not so certain the Jays shake out of that mix with the AL Pennant, let alone a WS title if they are going up against LAD, Washington, Pitt, San Fran, or St. Louis. Toronto is good, but we will have to wait and see if this makes them *that* good.

I do think their GM might be gripping a bit. He's taken some heat for not living up to the hype and expectations the past few years and, believe it or not, the Jays have the longest current playoff drought in MLB.

At this point, I think their all-in is truly that.... an attempt to win it all this year. The Jays definitely improved their roster and put their name firmly in the conversation (for now, at least). But given how the Royals improved their roster... even the moves Houston made.... I think the Jays have a tough road to the pennant if they make the playoffs. The AL mix is now KC, Houston, LAA, NYY, and Toronto.

I am not so certain the Jays shake out of that mix with the AL Pennant, let alone a WS title if they are going up against LAD, Washington, Pitt, San Fran, or St. Louis. Toronto is good, but we will have to wait and see if this makes them *that* good.

The playoffs are a complete crapshoot. No team's odds are much better than 1 in 8 and that's if you win the division. Even if you have a 60% chance of winning every series your chances are slightly more than 1 in 5. That's true whether you go all in or stand pat with a lot of young talent. The only real way to maximize the expected chances of winning it all over a period of time is to lengthen that team's window as long as possible. Increasingly, it's looking like signing a bunch of high priced free agents is not the way to go, it's hitting rock bottom, hiring a great GM and great talent evaluators and building over a 10 year period. Or, sell your soul to the devil, but the Cardinals have a monopoly on that particular strategy.

• Like 2

Very risky. For their sake, I hope it doesn't backfire and they end up in the shitter next year without getting much out of the rest of this season. Can't help but like the Jays given who one of their fans is. Edited by BowlCity

The playoffs are a complete crapshoot. No team's odds are much better than 1 in 8 and that's if you win the division. Even if you have a 60% chance of winning every series your chances are slightly more than 1 in 5. That's true whether you go all in or stand pat with a lot of young talent. The only real way to maximize the expected chances of winning it all over a period of time is to lengthen that team's window as long as possible. Increasingly, it's looking like signing a bunch of high priced free agents is not the way to go, it's hitting rock bottom, hiring a great GM and great talent evaluators and building over a 10 year period. Or, sell your soul to the devil, but the Cardinals have a monopoly on that particular strategy.

Yeah, maybe someone in the Cardinal front office sold their soul.... or maybe God is a Cardinal fan.... I am gonna go with the latter.

All we really know, though, is my team has won a few World Series in the time since, oh, gosh, let's go with penicillin being invented. That's right, the last time the Cubs won the title, a paper cut could of killed you!

Hell, getting back to the OP and this thread... a Canadian team won the World Series.... TWICE in that time.

;)

Yeah, maybe someone in the Cardinal front office sold their soul.... or maybe God is a Cardinal fan.... I am gonna go with the latter.

All we really know, though, is my team has won a few World Series in the time since, oh, gosh, let's go with penicillin being invented. That's right, the last time the Cubs won the title, a paper cut could of killed you!

Hell, getting back to the OP and this thread... a Canadian team won the World Series.... TWICE in that time.

;)

I can see a Red Sox fan pulling the 1908 card because they don't have a lot to look forward to, but I thought the Cards are set up pretty well for years to come. Guess these young Cubs are good enough to scare even them.

Well good first start! Price said after the game, he has NEVER pitched in an atmosphere like that before. We are most likely renting him, but do not discount the intangibles for some players. There won't be a better situation for him from a fan standpoint. The city of TO will make him feel at home. There is the odd player where money isn't everything. As far as selling the future, one thing the Jays are is VERY deep in young pitching prospects. In all these moves, we didn't give up the ones we really wanted to keep. Syndegard is probably going to hurt though.

Alex Sanchez got three games for that after the Royals were throwing at the Jays the whole game :wtf:

:unsure:

I've seen too many of these seasons where things looks ducky and then not so much. I haven't been a big Gibbons supporter over the years, but maybe all he really needed was the right players. There's certainly something gelling in the clubhouse and they are firing on all cylinders. It's been an awesome run to watch. Run production has been stellar all year, and now it looks like we have an actual rotation with an ace starter and everything.

I hope they can keep it up through August and September. There is a lot of baseball left. I'll take it while I can get it.

Eight in a row and a sweep of the Yankees - 1.5 back from the Yankees for the division lead. :yay:

Go Blue Jays! :cheerleader:

They should be in first place by next week, the Yankee fans will start to squirm.

I haven't heard from Yankees fans that believe this team is a real contender. They over-performed for so long and we're seeing a correction to their actual talent level. The Yanks might still win the division or the wild card, but I don't think that the average fan's expectation that of success this year.

They should be in first place by next week, the Yankee fans will start to squirm.

I haven't heard from Yankees fans that believe this team is a real contender. They over-performed for so long and we're seeing a correction to their actual talent level. The Yanks might still win the division or the wild card, but I don't think that the average fan's expectation that of success this year.

I think I said they would be in first place by next week we'll they are already their. I hope the Yankees continue to fade, yes they've overachieved so far this year.

I think I said they would be in first place by next week we'll they are already their. I hope the Yankees continue to fade, yes they've overachieved so far this year.

Yeah, but they're still the Yankees. I'll believe they don't make the playoffs on October 5 (the regular season ends October 4 this year? - that seems late - hey! the Blue Jays are guaranteed to be playing October ball this year! :yay: )

So, the streak ended last night, but I'd actually rather have it that way. I don't like streaky teams. I'd rather see a team play .667 ball (dropping every third game, but winning or splitting every series) than winning ten and then losing three or four and ending up with the same result. Fewer rattled nerves all around. JMO.

Hopefully, they can take the next two.

It's always funny reading the Power Rankings on various websites, even if I never take them seriously. Everyone went apeshit because the Jays won 11 in a row, which is good, but some people shot them up to the #2 spot behind St. Louis.

Now that they dropped 2 of 3 to the Yankees, they'll go back down again.

Cubs are sitting around #4-5 on average from what I've read.

It's always funny reading the Power Rankings on various websites, even if I never take them seriously. Everyone went apeshit because the Jays won 11 in a row, which is good, but some people shot them up to the #2 spot behind St. Louis.

Why is there a need for power rankings? I never understood why. I thought that's what the standings were for. Computer rankings I get, but not subjective ones.

Why is there a need for power rankings? I never understood why. I thought that's what the standings were for. Computer rankings I get, but not subjective ones.

To inflate egos of sports writers, mostly, I'd imagine. That and some people like reading them for "expert insight", which goes hand in hand with what I said before.

I like reading them for the lulz after something happens like a team going on a win streak. "Aha, I predicted this would happen, and now they're gonna go to the World Series!"

• Like 2

To inflate egos of sports writers, mostly, I'd imagine. That and some people like reading them for "expert insight", which goes hand in hand with what I said before.

I like reading them for the lulz after something happens like a team going on a win streak. "Aha, I predicted this would happen, and now they're gonna go to the World Series!"

Jonah Keri from Grantland, who is a writer I usually like, falls into this trap. He should really know better.

These rankings always remind me of the Indy 500 tie ins WLS radio (when it was a popular music station) used to run. They would pick the "500 greatest songs of all time" on Memorial Day weekend, and #1 would always be Hey Jude (which to me is defensible no matter what you think of the song) and sandwiched somewhere between "Satisfaction" and "Stairway" in the top 5 would be something like "Keep On Lovin You" by REO (which would not even be found on the next year's list). There's an incredible recency bias.

• Like 1