A random rocket poll vol.1 - Favorite "Rocket" song?

A random rocket poll vol.1 - Favorite "Rocket" song?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite "rocket" song.

• "Rocket Man" - Elton John
    • "Rocket" - Def Leppard
    • "Rocket" - Smashing Pumpkins
    • "Rocket" - Beyonce
    • "Rocket Queen" - Guns N Roses
    • "Rockit" - Herbie Handcock
    • * wildcard * - any song from - "Love and Rockets"
    • * wildcard * - any song from Geddy's son's band "Rocket Science"
    • Other (Name it)
    • None. This poll is a dud...lacking rocket sauce.
  2. 2. Who has the best overall catalog of music?

• GNR
    • Def Leppard
    • Smashing Pumpkins
    • Elton John
    • Beyonce
    • Love and Rockets
    • They all blow

Elton John all the way.

I was tempted to pick Herbie Hancock, too, but "Rockit" was a pandering pop/dance/funk tune, whereas Herbie's niche was jazz. I don't think anything he recorded beyond the mid-'70s have contributed to his legend. Everything before that is what made him.

So anyway...yeah. Sir Elton wins.

• Like 2

I choose Elton John "Rocket Man", but I absolutely prefer Kate Bush version of the song

I haven't heard that version. I'll be sure to check it out.

I choose Elton John "Rocket Man", but I absolutely prefer Kate Bush version of the song

I haven't heard that version. I'll be sure to check it out.

And if you watch the video on youtube you'll fall in love (as half the planet has done)

• Like 1

Elton John -- Both questions.

I just looked up the Kate Bush's version. What a great voice...How could i have overlooked this version.

Although that guy squeezing over Kate at the beginning is very wrong !!!

Elton John -- Both questions.

I just looked up the Kate Bush's version. What a great voice...How could i have overlooked this version.

Although that guy squeezing over Kate at the beginning is very wrong !!!

Alas!.....The uilleann pipe (together with her voice, of course) is what I really love of Kate's version

Rocket Man.

And Elton has one of the best album runs ever. from the self titled to Captain Fantastic. like a 9 album run.

he was a monster thrugh to the mid 70's.

Mick

Absolutely correct!

• Like 3

Rocket Man.

And Elton has one of the best album runs ever. from the self titled to Captain Fantastic. like a 9 album run.

he was a monster thrugh to the mid 70's.

Mick

Absolutely correct!

Indeed he is correct - from "Your Song" right up to the end of the seventies - there was no one like Elton John.

• Like 4

Captain Fantastic is my fav Elton album. A song like Tower of Babel is just pure ear candy.

What great pop songwriting.

Mick

I think in particular that Tumbleweed Connection, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Madman Across the Water are as good a three-album run as anyone has ever made.

• Like 3

Captain Fantastic is my fav Elton album. A song like Tower of Babel is just pure ear candy.

Mick

I think in particular that Tumbleweed Connection, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Madman Across the Water are as good a three-album run as anyone has ever made.

Indeed. I LOVE tumbleweed in particular. I could loop Country Comfort forever and be happy.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mick

Indeed. I LOVE tumbleweed in particular. I could loop Country Comfort forever and be happy.

Mick

'Like' x1000...

• Like 1

Mick

Agreed.

For me, the music to the song MATW is some of the most haunting music every written and played. There's something almost, but never quite, desperate about it. I don't know how to put it into words.

As for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, an album like that comes once in a career. Maybe.

• Like 3

Mick

Agreed.

For me, the music to the song MATW is some of the most haunting music every written and played. There's something almost, but never quite, desperate about it. I don't know how to put it into words.

As for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, an album like that comes once in a career. Maybe.

Yes. A perfect double album. and a perfect double album is HARD to pull off. but i would not change a thing about this one.

Mick

• Like 1

Off-topic now, but related to really strong album runs, and in that same time period- earlier today I was just thinking that I really want to get some old David Bowie records. Virtually everything he did from Space Oddity through Low, or Scary Monsters, is acclaimed as classic stuff. I know lots of songs from that period, but I've never heard those albums all the way through (except for Young Americans, which I did own for awhile).

I need to get all of those.

• Like 1

Geez this one couldn't be any easier at least for me. I only know one of the songs and I know who's body of work is better...
  • Like 3

Ha! This is blowout city, but that's cool. Elton John is the man, no doubt. His song's a classic.

I personally had to give the nod to GNR's "Rocket Queen" because when it comes down to it...my inner hard rock freak comes out and brings me back to late 80's rock from high school....what can I say!

• Like 1