As of Monday after Phoenix Neil is done traveling

bill1971

I thought of this the other day. Give him a few months and he may find he misses the road...and working.

They took almost 2 years off and they still had to talk him into it.

• Like 3

I thought of this the other day. Give him a few months and he may find he misses the road...and working.

And do it his way and on his terms.

Yeah exactly. I do believe it's wishful thinking about doing more shows in the future. At least from the other two guys. They are too perfectionistic to just do random shows here and there. Look how long it took them to get ready for this tour and still all of the mistakes for the first half of it. No one wants them to tour more than me but I don't see it happening.

• Like 3

Yeah exactly. I do believe it's wishful thinking about doing more shows in the future. At least from the other two guys. They are too perfectionistic to just do random shows here and there. Look how long it took them to get ready for this tour and still all of the mistakes for the first half of it. No one wants them to tour more than me but I don't see it happening.

I just read an interview from March of this year with Ray, and he said the same thing pretty much. Paraphrasing him after he was asked whether this is it for Rush, he said how is he going to get a trio of 65 year old men back in shape and on the road again? And that's the age, he said, they would be about the time another tour would start - if there was to be one.

• Like 1

I just read an interview from March of this year with Ray, and he said the same thing pretty much. Paraphrasing him after he was asked whether this is it for Rush, he said how is he going to get a trio of 65 year old men back in shape and on the road again? And that's the age, he said, they would be about the time another tour would start - if there was to be one.

Exactly, which is why I don't see there ever being another tour. I don't think Alex and Geddy want to quit but there comes a time when your body just can't do it anymore. I think they need to go out on a positive note. At least as far as touring goes. I can still see them making more music.

• Like 1

Exactly, which is why I don't see there ever being another tour. I don't think Alex and Geddy want to quit but there comes a time when your body just can't do it anymore. I think they need to go out on a positive note. At least as far as touring goes. I can still see them making more music.

Yes, but even to do that, Neil would have to be in top shape.

Yep...he got so used to sitting around playing those video games all day...

;)

I wish I had a better memory, but Alex said in an interview sometime after the tour was announced (I think :unsure: ) that he once tried to play Neil's drums, and no matter how hard he tried, with all the strength he had in his arms, he couldn't come close to hitting them as hard as Neil does. He told that story to let everyone know the strength and intensity that Neil must have to get the sound he does.
  • Like 4

Here's a thought... Buddy Rich played till much later in age ....

Having said that I do think the recording creative era isn't over for Rush... Neil wanted Rush to be that in 89....no way he stops playing entirely ... Touring? Sure ... But they have no reason to quit creating really ...

I'd take 2 more new albums over touring with no new music...

• Like 1

Yep...he got so used to sitting around playing those video games all day...

;)

I think he enjoys driving his Aston-Martin Vanquish much more. :)

Yeah, but is he just gonna quit drumming? I don't think he'd let himself deteriorate too far, unless he just wants to put everything in the rearview mirror for parenting in retirement.

Yeah, but is he just gonna quit drumming? I don't think he'd let himself deteriorate too far, unless he just wants to put everything in the rearview mirror for parenting in retirement.

I doubt Neil plays much for fun anymore

• Like 1

I don't....the number of drummers who have been that successful just up and quitting is far less than those who never stop playing...

Think of the burning for buddy list of drummers...everyone still alive is still playing....Reminds me of a quote I read from Dave Ghrol once...he said everytime someone says "I used to play drums..then I quit"... he responds.."What the f#ck is wrong with you?!?"....

Drumming is one of those things....

Phil Collins quit over his back..Bruford quit because...well Bill has always been interesting...

But they are in the minorty....

After Phoenix he rides home and can basically commute to Irvine and then LA. Just a thought.

I'm picturing the opening scene in the movie "Falling Down", but replacing Michael Douglas's character with Neil. Haha

I don't....the number of drummers who have been that successful just up and quitting is far less than those who never stop playing...

Think of the burning for buddy list of drummers...everyone still alive is still playing....Reminds me of a quote I read from Dave Ghrol once...he said everytime someone says "I used to play drums..then I quit"... he responds.."What the f#ck is wrong with you?!?"....

Drumming is one of those things....

Phil Collins quit over his back..Bruford quit because...well Bill has always been interesting...

But they are in the minorty....

Right, but Neil has some tendinitis issues. I can hardly imagine what he's feeling like after the shows. I've had it for years and it's one of the most miserable things.

• Like 1