The song Lessons, what is it about?

YYZumbi

I am right now listening to the song Lessons from 2112. And I really like it. The guitar and Geddy´s voice on it. But I don´t really understand...

What is the song really about? Someone that please can explain?

it's about 3:51

Wish it were longer to be honest. One of my favorites all time by them. Great tune....
  • Like 2

Hey Zumbi and I mean this sincerely. Anytime Lessons is brought up it is alright by me. Love the song and always have... :cheers:

Sweet memories Flashing very quickly by

Reminding me Giving me a reason why

I know that My goal is more than a thought

I'll be there When I teach what I've been taught

You know we've told you before

But you didn't hear us then

So you still question why

You didn't listen again

Sweet memories I never thought it would be like this

Reminding me Just how close I came to missing

I know that This is the way for me to go

You'll be there When you know what I know

:eh:

:popcorn:

Lifeson wrote the lyrics to that one, and we know that he had a bit of a struggle with his parents about his decision to drop out of school and be in a rock band. The young Lifeson is creating sweet memories that he never would have experienced if he had gone down the usual path - gone to school and become an accountant or something.

The screaming parents (you didn't listen again) are very much like the angry screaming Priests in 2112, who are saying just do as you're told, just do what we have planned for you. People in authority don't like when young people, or people underneath them, start asking questions. They're just supposed to listen and not ask questions.

Actually, the song is structured rather like Presentation.

That make any sense, Zumbi?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 6

Lifeson wrote the lyrics to that one, and we know that he had a bit of a struggle with his parents about his decision to drop out of school and be in a rock band. The young Lifeson is creating sweet memories that he never would have experienced if he had gone down the usual path - gone to school and become an accountant or something.

The screaming parents (you didn't listen again) are very much like the angry screaming Priests in 2112, who are saying just do as you're told, just do what we have planned for you. People in authority don't like when young people, or people underneath them, start asking questions. They're just supposed to listen and not ask questions.

Actually, the song is structured rather like Presentation.

That make any sense, Zumbi?

That's how I took it too. Alex wanting to go into music and his parents saying "no, get a real job so you can support yourself..etc."

It's about man's struggle against nature. The vast cold emptiness of space. The void within.

Excuse me. I have to go to the bathroom.

• Like 3