Best studio album Alex solo moment?

MeanMeanPride

Yes, it's this thread!

What is - in your opinion - the greatest Lerxst solo of all time? Let's limit it to the studio albums only (unless you really insist on a live solo).

The La Villa solo gets my vote for sure. The way he builds it up for so long, specifically the transition from whatever effect pedal he is using to the lead...man, now I need to go listen to it!

• Like 1

Tough one - he really grew as a player (although he was already doing great stuff on the first record) and has a lot of different styles. I'm not even sure I could pick a fave off any given album. So many of them are distinctive, not just a bunch of notes cobbled together, but really composed pieces of music. The Soliloquy solo is about as good a representation of mental anguish as I can imagine. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Can't nail it down to one, since he's changed a lot over the years, but Soliloquoy, La Villa, Hyperspace, Limelight, Between The Wheels, Lock And Key, and Cut To The Chase are real standouts.

The La Villa solo has to be tops. Damn Tom Sawyer solo is always awesome no matter how many times I hear it....so many classic, lyrical & kick ass solos on that album. Kid Gloves has always been a favorite of mine. Between The Wheels...Rivendell...the list is endless.
  • Like 1

It's a shame about how badly mixed that John Wesley album is, because I think he has an interesting voice, and some of the songs ain't bad. That's a cool solo, though.
  • Like 1

I am listening to The Twilight Zone right now. And I must say there is a awesome guitar solo that does not get mention much!

Agreed. Absolutely beautiful tone on that song.
  • Like 1

La Villa for me. I do love the outro of Different Strings although it is way too short.

PeWaves has some tasty solos. Spirit, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder...that's a heck of a three-song run, solo-wise.
  • Like 2

There are too many for me to pick a fav in mere minutes, but one solo that has gone unmentioned as of yet that is certainly a humongous highlight of his career is on Marathon. That song just gets me going every time and the solo is absolutely perfection in such a wonderful song.
  • Like 1

There are too many for me to pick a fav in mere minutes, but one solo that has gone unmentioned as of yet that is certainly a humongous highlight of his career is on Marathon. That song just gets me going every time and the solo is absolutely perfection in such a wonderful song.

Absolutely. I was listening to Marathon shortly after making this topic and I thought, "Man, I should have mentioned Marathon in the opening post." There's some fine drumming behind that solo too.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I was listening to Marathon shortly after making this topic and I thought, "Man, I should have mentioned Marathon in the opening post." There's some fine drumming behind that solo too.

Quite. Currently listening. To MP, but once it's over I think I'll put PoW on if only to hear that beautiful passage in Marathon.

• Like 1