I would like to make a challenge with you...

mother of all machines

Ok, so i was thinking about how people take things withouth knowing. Known cases with rock music is thinkin pink floyd is same thing as led zeppelin.

Englobing this to rush, id like to dare you. If you are brave enough, show any rush song to someone you know they dont like rush, or dont know them or, if you have the bravery enough to do it, pick up someone random in the street to see their reaction. Post here which song and how the person reacted. Who knows? Maybe we will have someone new on the forum.

Challenge accepted?

I don't want to do missonary work for Rush, I feel guilty enough for not doing it for Jesus.

I will keep Rush for myself :chickendance:

Haha, not maybe missionary but its more to test bravery and peoples reaction

:chickendance: more similarites than I care to mention :sundog: I am an introvert and will not be sharing Rush with strangers.

If the mormons or Seventh Day Adventists knock on my door, I'll let them talk to me as long as I can play Faithless while they remain silent.

Then I'll excuse myself while I change into my Satan outfit.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 4

Alternate title to this thread: "How to get strangers to say to their friends 'Rush fans are perhaps the most intrusive and annoying people on the planet'" :)
  • Like 9

If the mormons or Seventh Day Adventists knock on my door, I'll let them talk to me as long as I can play Faithless while they remain silent.

My 20 year old son is on a mission(Mormon) in mexico right now, if this were to happen to him he would get a huge laugh from it.

• Like 1

My 20 year old son is on a mission(Mormon) in mexico right now, if this were to happen to him he would get a huge laugh from it.

glad he's got a sense of humor. religious folks can be really...hypersensitive about some things.

glad he's got a sense of humor. religious folks can be really...hypersensitive about some things.

He is a Rush fan--and we have actually had lots of conversations about Rush lyrics and how they fit with our religous and world views.

Faithless is not an anti-faith song, but that is probably something for another thread.

Faithless is actually about Faith< Hope and Love and what is above all these? Love! Very spiritual stuff :finbar:

exactly--I was always taught and I believe that love, hope and faith are very much aligned. Many however view this song as a relentless beating of anything religous in nature.

Faithless is actually about Faith< Hope and Love and what is above all these? Love! Very spiritual stuff :finbar:

exactly--I was always taught and I believe that love, hope and faith are very much aligned. Many however view this song as a relentless beating of anything religous in nature.

I listened (& listen) to this song I love over and over. Neil pulls the negative aspect to make a positive. At 1st glance "Fathless" sets the stage but the line "and that's faith enough for me" indicates that Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountians from here to there.

• Like 1

Who would waste the time doing such a thing? Its only music. :LOL:

Blasphemer!!!

:LOL: :lol: :LOL:

If some one walked up to me and asked the same question,

But it was lets say Katy Perry. This would be my response. :moon:

:D

• Like 3

And where I live, I am sure they would think I was asking if they wanted to listen to Rush L.

As it is, one time about a year ago I was in the local record store and asked about the availability of Quadrophenia by The Who, the look on the young girl's face as she asked me "Who's that???" was priceless. :)

• Like 2

And where I live, I am sure they would think I was asking if they wanted to listen to Rush L.

As it is, one time about a year ago I was in the local record store and asked about the availability of Quadrophenia by The Who, the look on the young girl's face as she asked me "Who's that???" was priceless. :)

:LOL:

Obviously a Katy Perry girl. :P

• Like 1

It's certainly a beating of any sort of organized religion.

Ok, so i was thinking about how people take things withouth knowing. Known cases with rock music is thinkin pink floyd is same thing as led zeppelin.

Englobing this to rush, id like to dare you. If you are brave enough, show any rush song to someone you know they dont like rush, or dont know them or, if you have the bravery enough to do it, pick up someone random in the street to see their reaction. Post here which song and how the person reacted. Who knows? Maybe we will have someone new on the forum.

Challenge accepted?

I've taught Rush lyrics countless times to advanced English learners. None of them had ever heard of the band. They were in it for the lesson of course. Some of the songs covered: Losing It, Entre Nous, Time Stand Still, Afterimage, etc. Out of all of those students only one that I know of became a fan. I had a thread about it in Random Samples when I started doing it maybe 7-8 years ago. Haven't taught a straight up Rush/Peart lesson in maybe 2-3 years though. But I do toss in an occasional Peart lyric on tests or student essays....not to test them but just to have it on there. It usually does little more than raise their eyebrows. But screw it, you can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast.

:blaze:

• Like 3

Challenge accepted?

I've taught Rush lyrics countless times to advanced English learners. None of them had ever heard of the band. They were in it for the lesson of course. Some of the songs covered: Losing It, Entre Nous, Time Stand Still, Afterimage, etc. Out of all of those students only one that I know of became a fan. I had a thread about it in Random Samples when I started doing it maybe 7-8 years ago. Haven't taught a straight up Rush/Peart lesson in maybe 2-3 years though. But I do toss in an occasional Peart lyric on tests or student essays....not to test them but just to have it on there. It usually does little more than raise their eyebrows. But screw it, you can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast.

Did you at least change the lyric in Entre Nous to "leave room for you and me to grow."

• Like 2

Challenge accepted?

Did you at least change the lyric in Entre Nous to "leave room for you and me to grow."

No. I refuse(d) to change Peart's artistic expression in order to follow a prepositional rule. Besides, the purpose was lyrical interpretation not grammatical correction. At their levels, those students knew songs don't need to be grammatically correct anyway. Most DID question that though: "for you and I to grow" vs "for you and me to grow"