Jump to content


Geddy's Recent Vocal Performances


50 replies to this topic

#21 robertrobyn

robertrobyn

    Positive attitude, positive results

  • Members
  • 1806 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sacramento California
  • Interests:Rush and More Rush!! Collecting Rush Stuff!!! My Family!

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

It seemed as if he was struggling in San Jose but I'm completely blown away by how he sounded in the past two shows. He sounds stronger than the start of the tour and he's hitting the notes amazingly. I wonder if he made an adjustment that really worked for him.
For me the 1st set was a 10++++ vocal wise but the second set it seemed he was a little tired. We love him no matter what and it was still an EPIC show both sets!!!

Sponsored Post

#22 404-ed!!!

404-ed!!!

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh
  • Interests:Music, sports, and such

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Oh and back on topic I was surprised how well Geddy sounded in Detroit.  I had goosebumps for 70% of that show...

Yeah I was in Detroit and by One Little Victory I could tell he was locked in.  Sounded better than the last 2 tours I saw in Pittsburgh.  He started to fade a bit come Anthem and such, but that's expected.  I haven't seen all of the other A+ vocal nights, but Detroit was best i've heard

#23 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21072 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

#24 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2463 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

I remember he sounded nearly perfect in MSG.

#25 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 11064 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour

#26 puffyshirt

puffyshirt

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver, BC

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

I just hope he sounded good on the shows they taped for the Blu-ray/album. That's the show that will eventually become ingrained in my mind.

#27 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

View PostRushman14, on 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour
For the record I was being sarcastic. Most of the stuff live or studio that I have heard from them since the turn of the century has been sub par to lousy. Just my opinion...

#28 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21072 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostNarps, on 29 July 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour
For the record I was being sarcastic. Most of the stuff live or studio that I have heard from them since the turn of the century has been sub par to lousy. Just my opinion...
Well what do you think of the Vapor Trails remix compared to the original?

#29 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 29 July 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour
For the record I was being sarcastic. Most of the stuff live or studio that I have heard from them since the turn of the century has been sub par to lousy. Just my opinion...
Well what do you think of the Vapor Trails remix compared to the original?
Actually the vinyl version is actually listenable but it's the only format I have ever heard that was. CA is just a difference of opinion on how an album should be produced. I can't stand the way it's done (to much noise) and there is some real good material on there too which is the shame of it....

#30 MeanMeanPride

MeanMeanPride

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Rush, of course!

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

So, out of curiosity, what happens if the two taped shows meant for the DVD/Blu-ray didn't turn out like the band wanted? I would imagine these shows are filmed every night anyway, so they could just use those? Just a thought.

#31 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostMeanMeanPride, on 29 July 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

So, out of curiosity, what happens if the two taped shows meant for the DVD/Blu-ray didn't turn out like the band wanted? I would imagine these shows are filmed every night anyway, so they could just use those? Just a thought.

If they were unusable they would have filmed another show before now.

#32 singh99

singh99

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 181 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra
  • Interests:Better people. Better food, and Better Beer.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostNarps, on 29 July 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour
For the record I was being sarcastic. Most of the stuff live or studio that I have heard from them since the turn of the century has been sub par to lousy. Just my opinion...

I think S&A sounds really good. I wish Richard Chycki had mixed CA instead of Nick R.



#33 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

View Postsingh99, on 29 July 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 29 July 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostRushman14, on 29 July 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 29 July 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 28 July 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostPressure/Hopenosis, on 28 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Just hope as I have said before that the performance DVD comes out spot on this time... :sigh:

+1
Take some time on this DVD/Blu Ray.  If this will be the last of the big productions available to us then do it right.  My requests would be audio production (please have some separation/depth in the audio) and camera cuts (less is more).  As a bonus some isolation camera views would be cool and any of the soundchecks as extras...
You shouldn't worry too much about audio, David Bottril is mixing it. He's the guy who remixed VT.
Geez. Now I feel better. Thanks...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I thought he did a good job. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than CA Tour

He did a really good job but I thought he took too many liberties with the remix. I wish he would've listened to the original mix a little bit more.  But this should definitely sounds better than the CA tour
For the record I was being sarcastic. Most of the stuff live or studio that I have heard from them since the turn of the century has been sub par to lousy. Just my opinion...

I think S&A sounds really good. I wish Richard Chycki had mixed CA instead of Nick R.


I have heard that. I have only listened to S&A enough to know that I got bored with it and didn't like it so I am admittedly no expert on it by any means...

#34 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

I have posted this in the past,

I go into the concert knowing he is going to struggle at times. He is not 25 any more. I never expect him to sing like he once did. Its just amazing he can still pull it off. I am just grateful that they are still playing. :codger:

#35 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

View Posttroutman, on 29 July 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

I have posted this in the past,

I go into the concert knowing he is going to struggle at times. He is not 25 any more. I never expect him to sing like he once did. Its just amazing he can still pull it off. I am just grateful that they are still playing. :codger:

I agree. It's been long enough now that we can see how his voice has declined. Eddie Trunk mentions that Ged knows his voice hasn't been the best the last 15 years or so, but he still goes out there and gives it his all. That's all anyone can do. Still, he sounds great this tour. Much less yodeling and much more real singing, even if he doesn't sound like he did at 25 he's still hitting some pretty high notes.

#36 TexMike

TexMike

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

He's doing an incredible job this tour, especially considering he's in his 60s AND the range needed for some of those older tunes.

#37 TexMike

TexMike

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 29 July 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostMeanMeanPride, on 29 July 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

So, out of curiosity, what happens if the two taped shows meant for the DVD/Blu-ray didn't turn out like the band wanted? I would imagine these shows are filmed every night anyway, so they could just use those? Just a thought.

If they were unusable they would have filmed another show before now.
I think you're right.  Or maybe they'll be filming L.A.  I think they should do that anyway, even if Toronto turns out fine.  How can you not professionally document what may be the last show of your 40 year career?  Include the final show as a bonus disc in the Toronto package.  :)

#38 troutman

troutman

    My views are fishy

  • Members *
  • 44549 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 29 July 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

View Posttroutman, on 29 July 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

I have posted this in the past,

I go into the concert knowing he is going to struggle at times. He is not 25 any more. I never expect him to sing like he once did. Its just amazing he can still pull it off. I am just grateful that they are still playing. :codger:

I agree. It's been long enough now that we can see how his voice has declined. Eddie Trunk mentions that Ged knows his voice hasn't been the best the last 15 years or so, but he still goes out there and gives it his all. That's all anyone can do. Still, he sounds great this tour. Much less yodeling and much more real singing, even if he doesn't sound like he did at 25 he's still hitting some pretty high notes.

Yep,

When I go see them I pay close attention to there playing as individuals These guys are truly amazing!!


https://www.youtube....h?v=k51py8g2vYk


Thats good sh** right there! :haz: :rush:

Edited by troutman, 29 July 2015 - 06:32 PM.


#39 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostTexMike, on 29 July 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 29 July 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostMeanMeanPride, on 29 July 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

So, out of curiosity, what happens if the two taped shows meant for the DVD/Blu-ray didn't turn out like the band wanted? I would imagine these shows are filmed every night anyway, so they could just use those? Just a thought.

If they were unusable they would have filmed another show before now.
I think you're right.  Or maybe they'll be filming L.A.  I think they should do that anyway, even if Toronto turns out fine.  How can you not professionally document what may be the last show of your 40 year career?  Include the final show as a bonus disc in the Toronto package.  :)

I think they should film the show too, just so they'd have it, even if they don't use it. Especially since the first Toronto show was such a bust in a lot of ways.

#40 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42212 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

Kids, let this be a lesson to you.

Don't ever start off on a high note.  You won't be able to sustain it as time marches on.

You are very welcome.


:)



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users