Predictions about the Los Angeles Show and potential finality of it.

LeaveMyThingAlone

So, folks, now that Rush no longer owns the rights to any of their music, here's a possible scenario from the future.

You are sitting in front of your tv when all of a sudden you hear music from The Weapon only to find out it is being used in a commercial for condoms.

Huh???

So, folks, now that Rush no longer owns the rights to any of their music, here's a possible scenario from the future.

You are sitting in front of your tv when all of a sudden you hear music from The Weapon only to find out it is being used in a commercial for condoms.

Huh???

Didn't you read the interview from March with Ray? Isn't that what he said? The catalog was sold for somewhere in the area of twenty-five million?

I sure hope that it isn't abused,

Maybe they have some clause that gives them some say about crap like that.

• Like 1

I realize everyone's bottom line is money, but I tell you the truth - there isn't one artist that has done this that their music hasn't been used at least once for some silly purpose. To me, it cheapens whatever they've done.

I would like to think that if it were me, I wouldn't do it.

I think Ray said the reason they did it is because there isn't any real money anymore in holding onto the rights. And he's really p'oed that the days of vinly are over. No money in cds either. The guy's a real money maker, that's for sure. :LOL: But he's happy that the days of $20 concert tickets are over. More money in selling Rush as a package deal. Who cares if tickets are now hundreds of dollars, right? :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I realize everyone's bottom line is money, but I tell you the truth - there isn't one artist that has done this that their music hasn't been used at least once for some silly purpose. To me, it cheapens whatever they've done.

I think Ray said the reason they did it is because there isn't any real money anymore in holding onto the rights. And he's really p'oed that the days of vinly are over. No money in cds either. The guy's a real money maker, that's for sure. :LOL: But he's happy that the days of $20 concert tickets are over. More money in selling Rush as a package deal. Who cares if tickets are now hundreds of dollars, right? :LOL:

Yeah,

Like $6.50 a ticket. :codger: :D :smoke:

Yeah,

Like $6.50 a ticket. :codger: :D :smoke:

Fillmore East - October, 1969 - $5.00

• Like 1

Too bad they don't televise it for the fans. Hopefully some good folks will be scoping it. Looks like a late night for us east coasters.

I also hope some quality tapers will be in attendance as well.

Maybe they will play "My Way" lol

"And now, the end is near

And so I face the final curtain

My friend, I'll say it clear

I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full

I traveled each and every highway

And more, much more than this, I did it my way"

Pah...even later for us Europeans.....it's got to be done though!!

I'm still holding out for a possible mini Euro leg of the tour next year with 2-3 nights in maybe 3 venues....

Belfast, Dublin and Cork will do just fine...... :hockeygoon:

Huh???

Didn't you read the interview from March with Ray? Isn't that what he said? The catalog was sold for somewhere in the area of twenty-five million?

I just read it. Great read.

I can't blame them one iota in selling the publishing rights. They are in their 60's. This is truly estate planning. The music will live on forever regardless of how.

Not a big deal.

• Like 2

Meh. It can never cheapen it for me. I know exactly what their music means to me and how it affected my life. Who cares what anyone thinks. Also it is their asset. Why not profit from it? IMO it will never be worth more. In fact after they are truly done touring and performing only us the true long time hard core Rush fans will keep the fire alive along with our kids. Again the music will be forever. We are passing it to our children. They understand there is really not much money left in publishing rights and this is a great decision for their families, kids, grandkids etc.

Smart decision. Not some artsy fartsy idealist decision. They starved for their art for almost a decade. They cashed in their chips. A clear sign they are walking away very very soon.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Most of us would probably do it if the money was right.

This is all news to me about Rush selling the rights to their songs but i'm sure they did it because the money was just too good to refuse. So what happens now? Do their songs start showing up in TV commercials or something?

This is all news to me about Rush selling the rights to their songs but i'm sure they did it because the money was just too good to refuse. So what happens now? Do their songs start showing up in TV commercials or something?

Maybe...they have before. Tom Sawyer was in a Maxima commercial in 2000, Fly By Night in a VW commercial I think......whatever.

Meh. It can never cheapen it for me. I know exactly what their music means to me and how it affected my life. Who cares what anyone thinks. Also it is their asset. Why not profit from it? IMO it will never be worth more. In fact after they are truly done touring and performing only us the true long time hard core Rush fans will keep the fire alive along with our kids. Again the music will be forever. We are passing it to our children. They understand there is really not much money left in publishing rights and this is a great decision for their families, kids, grandkids etc.

Smart decision. Not some artsy fartsy idealist decision. They starved for their art for almost a decade. They cashed in their chips. A clear sign they are walking away very very soon.

Yeah,

I was really impressed with how many youngsters were at the Portland show.

• Like 1

Maybe...they have before. Tom Sawyer was in a Maxima commercial in 2000, Fly By Night in a VW commercial I think......whatever.

Yes, I remember those.

There is a recent commercial, I can't remember what it's for but it has "You've Got Another Thing Comin" from Judas Priest playing during it. The times i've seen it I remember all I thought was they must be making good money off this since it's probably a national commercial and the get paid something every time it's shown.

So, if that does happen for Rush again, will they still make money off the commercial or is all of that gone since they sold the rights?

I don't agree with those of you who think this was a smart decision.

I'll keep my own opinion about it. Please respect it.

Well, since they don't make as much off CD sales anymore, selling the rights was probably the best way to make the most off their songs at this point. I don't think anyone was disrespecting your opinion. Some of us were just saying we understand why they did it.

• Like 2

Well, since they don't make as much off CD sales anymore, selling the rights was probably the best way to make the most off their songs at this point. I don't think anyone was disrespecting your opinion. Some of us were just saying we understand why they did it.

I agree with both of you,

I see Lorraine's point. But also agree that they are taking advantage of where they are as a band at the moment. Mid 60's and looking out for whats best for them as far as money goes. If touring and making a new album is not in the near future they have to be realistic.

• Like 2

Ray Danniels sold Rush's publishing rights for their back catalog to a third party (Ole) for $25 million. The explanation was that they do not see a time when their catalog will be more valuable. Essentially they no longer own the rights to their own music. But they got a tidy sum in return.

http://www.celebrity...ile.html?id=686

Thanks for that, great read.

You entitled like everyone else Lorraine. Respect the fact I disagree with your opinion.

No one is wrong.

I agree with the fact that they saw a major financial killing and took advantage of it.

But...still...it would have been nice if the integrity of their music could have been preserved.

That's all I'm saying.

I agree,

I am torn about it. But if you think about it. All of the BS they have put up with regarding the music industry through out the decades. This will be the only real chance of them taking adavantage of going out on top. Not many bands can say that. Think of all of the bands that were around when Rush came along. A lot of them are long gone or playing smaller gigs. it only makes sense to do this. Its a buisness and when you have paid your dues like Rush. There is no better time.

• Like 1

Maybe one or 3 surprise guest will appear at the Forum gig. I know Jack Black has shown up from time to time at a SoCal show. Katy Perry? NOT!

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if a guest would show up and/or a few extra surprise songs be played that wasn't played on this tour. $40+ tour shirts? Not surprised. And this possibly being their "last" gig? Not. Maybe for sure their last tour. I'm sure they will do a one off or 2 concert in the future. Hell the Stones are dinosaurs and they're still touring.

I think it's bad enough that they had one of their songs used for Walmart of all places.

It is what it is,

You can't blame a company if the band puts no restrictions on who can or cannot use it.

I think it's bad enough that they had one of their songs used for Walmart of all places.

No shame at all. Commercial rocked...enuff said!

Sorry but. FAIL!!!!

:LOL:

• Like 1