Colin Cowherd Bounced Off ESPN?

goose

So, it appears that Colin Cowherd will be removed from his work at ESPN as a result of what he said about baseball being a simple sport, and the fact that Dominicans can play it is evidence of that. That last bit was part of a longer rant, but in isolation it sounds like he's calling out Latinos, Blacks, Dominicans, or all of the above. Here's vidoe of Colin on the situation...

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13314040/colin-cowherd-no-longer-espn-air-comments-dominican-republic-players

The story:

Radio host Colin Cowherd no longer will appear on ESPN following comments he made questioning the intelligence of Dominican Republic players related to baseball one day earlier, the company said in a statement Friday.

"Colin Cowherd's comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees," ESPN said in a statement. "Colin will no longer appear on ESPN."

More:

Cowherd had said Thursday that he didn't believe baseball was complex, saying a third of the sport was from the Dominican Republic, which had "not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities.''

Major League Baseball on Friday said Cowherd owes Dominican players an apology for the remarks, and the MLB Players Association also condemned his comments.

Earlier Friday, Cowherd addressed his remarks from Thursday during The Herd.

"I could've made the point without using one country, and there's all sorts of smart people from the Dominican Republic," Cowherd said. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from countries with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used the Dominican Republic because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

Cowherd on Friday also cited reports and statistics to back up what he said about the country's ranking when it comes to primary education.

"I understand that when you mention a specific country, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data.

It was a really dumb thing to say. If ESPN doesn't want to associate with that, more power to them.

Colin is always pushing the envelope. It was dumb, and he freely admits it, but that's his schtick. I'll miss the guy.
  • Like 2

It doesn't matter if he was 100% right about the Dominican Republic and the state of their educational system. You don't make those kinds of references to an entire people/nation on national radio or TV. No matter how you phrase it, you're gonna be the Bad Guy. You're gonna get nailed for it.

This is yet another example of how mass media has grown so large and uncontrollable that Radio and TV talking heads are spewing record levels of arrogance and self-importance. No, Colin, not everything you say is cool.....and this applies to ALL of you radio loudmouths. Try reflecting on what you want to say and how to say it BEFORE you say it.

But should these people be automatically fired for making a stupid mistake with their mouths? I don't know. Shouldn't people get the chance to make amends? Sometimes, I think they should....

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Since when does it take an advanced education to learn how to play baseball? The imagined correlation between the two makes Colin look like he may be lacking some education himself.

Since when does it take an advanced education to learn how to play baseball? The imagined correlation between the two makes Colin look like he may be lacking some education himself.

Nah, Cowherd is just a troll who pushed the envelope a bit too far. Just give his show to Skip Bayless and be done with it. In two weeks no one will notice the difference or even care.

Cowherd can join the Trump campaign, he'd fit in well there.

Edited by laughedatbytime

It was a really dumb thing to say. If ESPN doesn't want to associate with that, more power to them.

Colin is always pushing the envelope. It was dumb, and he freely admits it, but that's his schtick. I'll miss the guy.

I won't miss the guy, over the last six months I've been listening much less. Still I heard the whole thing and getting bounced for it is another example of people being too damn sensitive. Before you know it mocking Haiti and Haitians will be verboten.

Since when does it take an advanced education to learn how to play baseball?

That was Colin's point it doesn't. One can come from a country with poor schools, not speak English well and still excel in the MLB.

That was Colin's point it doesn't. One can come from a country with poor schools, not speak English well and still excel in the MLB.

But it does take a high level of intelligence to be a MLB-level baseball player. This fact doesn't get stressed enough, be it by the media or anyone else. Same goes for most other pro sports; your brain is the most important muscle in your body.

Media blowhards like Cowherd are too busy going over the top in their speeches and rants that they don't make these points enough.

Edited by Principled Man

I personally always enjoyed listening to him. To me he was entertaining and I typically agreed with alot of what he said not unlike Stern who was obviously one of his hero's and greatest infuences.

This kind of pc sh*t is one of the many reasons that if NASA finally finds that Earth 2 I will be one of the first in line to want to go... :sigh:

Well...he was a communications major!

:LOL:

He just phrased it poorly, with a very condescending tone so that the only thing people heard was "Dominicans are under-educated". Which may be true.

I personally always enjoyed listening to him. To me he was entertaining and I typically agreed with alot of what he said not unlike Stern who was obviously one of his hero's and greatest infuences.

This kind of pc sh*t is one of the many reasons that if NASA finally finds that Earth 2 I will be one of the first in line to want to go... :sigh:

I loke him too. Enough edge to be interesting, but not overly crass or mean. But he blew it here, and there are plenty of people in power that don't get his humor or irreverence, and were just waiting for him to slip up.

I loke him too. Enough edge to be interesting, but not overly crass or mean. But he blew it here, and there are plenty of people in power that don't get his humor or irreverence, and were just waiting for him to slip up.

Well quite possibly like Stern whenever he got smacked on the hands with a ruler it only made him stronger and increased his fan base overall and therefor his success. Can Cowherd do the same? Hard to tell but time will...

Why the hell and I sitting here typing this then? I could have been rhe next Pedro Feliz. Or maybe the next Colin Cowherd.

• Like 1

.....Jim Rome is a tool.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/84/21/a28421bb0f818bf6d1b983b916f0dabd.jpg

I totally agree.

• Like 4

.....Jim Rome is a tool.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/84/21/a28421bb0f818bf6d1b983b916f0dabd.jpg

I totally agree.

Why U gotta h8, Chrissy?

Sports radio in general is tired and played out. So much freaking talk about sports it's exhausting.

I found Colin interesting in that it wasn't just the same old same old. He would at least call people out. I liked his irreverence. Of course, the sports industry doesn't appreciate that at all, especially Baseball.
  • Like 1

A guy out here named Larry Krueger did something similar years ago. His was more scathing he said somethinf about the Giants "Brain dead Carribean hitters, hacking at slop nightly". He got fired almost immediately, but old friends win the day now hes back but hes merely a sidekick now.