I Still Think Neil's 1984 "GUP" Kit Is The Best! Then Again Maybe The "Presto" Kit!

RUSHHEAD666

So let's say you???

What is your favorite Neil kit?????

It's "Grace" for me!

The "Presto" kit was amazing too!!!!

To be honest once Neil stopped touring and playing on a double kick kit I was highly disappointed.

JMO

• Like 1

I like em all....his moves over time have been for ease of playing ergonomically....any experienced drummer eventually goes through this....sure the old setup looks cool but if its uncomfortable (limiting?) to play?....meh....its not a matter of rock vs jazz...its just a matter of ergonomics....what drives me nuts is seeing drummers on youtube copying NPs setups (new or old) to a "T" when it makes zero sense for their body type , height or wingspan....ugh....then they play all uncomfortable and tense...its crazy really...you should determine your setup based on your needs...not what NP had to work with in 1978.... its weird really.
  • Like 1

To me, the drums never sounded the same after the switch to DW, especially the toms. I thought the Luddys sounded really good, and of course the Tamas sound fantastic. In my opinion the drums sound best on Moving Pictures. Something about the way the drums were miced/processed really brought out the best in those Superstars.
  • Like 2

I like em all....his moves over time have been for ease of playing ergonomically....any experienced drummer eventually goes through this....sure the old setup looks cool but if its uncomfortable (limiting?) to play?....meh....its not a matter of rock vs jazz...its just a matter of ergonomics....what drives me nuts is seeing drummers on youtube copying NPs setups (new or old) to a "T" when it makes zero sense for their body type , height or wingspan....ugh....then they play all uncomfortable and tense...its crazy really...you should determine your setup based on your needs...not what NP had to work with in 1978.... its weird really.

Dude! I love your post. You nailed it with your "ergonomics" approach. Drummers need to build their kits to fit their body, their wingspan and their height, not build a kit to emulate their drumming heroes.

I have all the buzzers and bells on my DW kit in my garage but it's arranged for me to play with more fluid motion. I'm not trying to copy Peart or Copeland or Simon Phillips for that matter but some would see similarities within my kit.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

To me, the drums never sounded the same after the switch to DW, especially the toms. I thought the Luddys sounded really good, and of course the Tamas sound fantastic. In my opinion the drums sound best on Moving Pictures. Something about the way the drums were miced/processed really brought out the best in those Superstars.

The ludwigs did sound great, he had them cranked way up to cut through all the electronics.

On MP everything sounded fantastic. Superb engineering on that album all around.

Dude! I love your post. You nailed it with your "ergonomics" approach. Drummers need to build their kits to fit their body, their wingspan and their height, not build a kit to emulate their drumming heroes.

I have all the buzzers and bells on my DW kit in my garage but it's arranged for me to play with more fluid motion. I'm not trying to copy Peart or Copeland or Simon Phillips for that matter but some would see similarities within my kit.

Hope that makes sense.

Hope that makes sense.

I agree with both of you in that drummers shouldn't only consider one setup and never experiment. But I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea to make replica kits of your drum heroes. It is a lot of fun and is super enjoyable to see the kit come together piece by piece, and it forced me to learn a lot about maintenance and workarounds that I would have otherwise never known. Of course you should always move your equipment around based on your personal ease of playing, but a replica kit isn't a terrible place to start. Plus it is fun!

Yep I totally get it man. For instance I have a five piece DW kit but I added chinas, crashes, splashes, wood blocks, cowbells, a triangle, wind chimes. Then I added two octobans on the right side of my kit and two on the left side over my two floor toms.

This makes it a lot more easier to play say "Red Lenses" or "High Water" despite not having any electronics.

Hope that makes sense.

Hope that makes sense.

I agree with both of you in that drummers shouldn't only consider one setup and never experiment. But I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea to make replica kits of your drum heroes. It is a lot of fun and is super enjoyable to see the kit come together piece by piece, and it forced me to learn a lot about maintenance and workarounds that I would have otherwise never known. Of course you should always move your equipment around based on your personal ease of playing, but a replica kit isn't a terrible place to start. Plus it is fun!

That's why I'm insane and took a lot of Rush influence and added in a touch of The Police. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

That's weird! My post before this one didn't save. I just wanted to add that I added two octobans to the left side of my kit and two octobans to the right side of my kit above my two floor toms. This way it was easier to play along to say "Red Lenses" or "High Water." I don't have any electronics but I can still pull it off.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

The Tama Artstar prototypes in Candy Apple Red (Signals-Power Windows) are my quintessential dream drum set.

Yes- The Red Tamas Rule!!!!!!!!- Art stars are my pick too

look through the Lestudio window and you can see them floating on lake perry

Watching the shows on Periscope, I was eager to hear the R40 kits in person.... They sounded as bad in person as on the cheap videos sound... Watched my p/g bootleg the other night... The Red Tamas sounded glorious, even with that aweful sound of the boot..... My drumkit is essentially the red Tamas, refinished several times, and set up like Neil's current kit... I wouldn't trade them for one of his DW kits, 1500 year old log or not..... Actually, seeing the hockey kit, my first reaction was "Wow! Those toms are so TINY!!" I used to prefer the ESL kit (My kit was originally Mahogany), but now the reds are pretty much on top... Red Tamas, the ESL kit (No particular order) and the Roll The Bones kit make up my top 3.
  • Like 1

Watching the shows on Periscope, I was eager to hear the R40 kits in person.... They sounded as bad in person as on the cheap videos sound... Watched my p/g bootleg the other night... The Red Tamas sounded glorious, even with that aweful sound of the boot..... My drumkit is essentially the red Tamas, refinished several times, and set up like Neil's current kit... I wouldn't trade them for one of his DW kits, 1500 year old log or not..... Actually, seeing the hockey kit, my first reaction was "Wow! Those toms are so TINY!!" I used to prefer the ESL kit (My kit was originally Mahogany), but now the reds are pretty much on top... Red Tamas, the ESL kit (No particular order) and the Roll The Bones kit make up my top 3.

Watching Neil play on the second kit sounded like he was playing in a Vegas lounge with a plexiglass barrier placed in front of the kit. Sounded muddled and seemed the volume of the toms were turned down too low!

I didn't like the gray shells either. The kit was cool but it seemed awkward? Was it set up like that for ergonomics?

• Like 1

Watching Neil play on the second kit sounded like he was playing in a Vegas lounge with a plexiglass barrier placed in front of the kit. Sounded muddled and seemed the volume of the toms were turned down too low!

I didn't like the gray shells either. The kit was cool but it seemed awkward? Was it set up like that for ergonomics?

I don't follow. It was set up like his old kits. Am I missing something?