Good Luck Rod in Rio--Marathon Man!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! I'm still on a high from the race, and woke up recapping the whole thing. My recovery on the day after was always tough, but I'm feeling fine today. I guess it was the salt capsules I took that made the difference. In my previous marathons I had a significant drop of energy after the 32nd km, but yesterday I was able to keep it up all the way to the end.

The race winner was - surprise, surprise - a guy from Kenya, who finished in 02hours14min. One guy proposed to his girlfriend as soon as they crossed the finish line, and made the local news!

I'll post a few pics from the race later today.

• Like 1

I did it!!!! Finished the race in 03h56min. My best marathon never, and the one I felt I had more control of my pace, hidration, etc. At some point I thought I wasn't gonna make it - more or less on km 32 - but seeing my parents, my wife and my daughter along the way gave me that extra boost.

The soundtrack worked quite well, aside from the last track of Awake, which is VERY low-paced. ASOH helped a lot, especially Marathon, Turn The Page and Subdivisions. Maiden's Run to the Hills was quite a boost too, and I finished the race with an ominous one-two punch: Hallowed be thy name and AC/DC' Hells Bells.

I have a picture of me on km 35 which I'll post here later on. Once again, thanks for the support, guys!!!

Congratulations, Rod! Very impressive! :ebert:

• Like 1

Here´s a pic a few minutes before the start. I´m second from left:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/antes%20da%20corrida_zps7itvvmrl.jpg

And me at km 36. The dude behind me is rushing to hand me some Gatorade:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/princesa%20isabel_zpsgtfjr20n.jpg

• Like 6

The race winner was - surprise, surprise - a guy from Kenya, who finished in 02hours14min.

2:14?! That's insane!

I know...I will NEVER be able to run at that pace!! I think the world record for a marathon is 02 hours and 04 minutes, and there´s an expectation that in 10 years or so there will be someone able to do it in less than 02 hours.

• Like 1

Rod, at about 9:30/10:00 your time, I thought about you and said some prayers for you in case you were failing and wondering how the hell you would finish.

Glad to hear you persevered to the end and did so well!

:hug2:

• Like 2

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/antes%20da%20corrida_zps7itvvmrl.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/princesa%20isabel_zpsgtfjr20n.jpg

We are so happy for you Rod. Isn't nice to know that people outside of your nuclear family celebrates with you? Whatever you think, know that this forum appreciates you, and smiles because of you setting goals and accomplishing them. Now go do it again bitch!
  • Like 2

The race winner was - surprise, surprise - a guy from Kenya, who finished in 02hours14min.

2:14?! That's insane!

I know...I will NEVER be able to run at that pace!! I think the world record for a marathon is 02 hours and 04 minutes, and there´s an expectation that in 10 years or so there will be someone able to do it in less than 02 hours.

That is unbelievable!

Thanks WATT!!! I'm still in the aftershock of last Sunday...went for a jog on Wednesday and had ZERO drive or stamina to keep doing it and ended up running 04km only. I guess my endorphine is spent for a good couple of weeks.

Thanks WATT!!! I'm still in the aftershock of last Sunday...went for a jog on Wednesday and had ZERO drive or stamina to keep doing it and ended up running 04km only. I guess my endorphine is spent for a good couple of weeks.

I once met a man who was running 50 marathons in 50 days to celebrate his 50th birthday. My marathon experience was like yours...the recovery process. I couldn't fathom what that 50yo man was doing.

I once met a man who was running 50 marathons in 50 days to celebrate his 50th birthday. My marathon experience was like yours...the recovery process. I couldn't fathom what that 50yo man was doing.

Wow!!! Did he make it?

Wow!!! Did he make it?

Yep. An inspiration.

I did it!!!! Finished the race in 03h56min. My best marathon never, and the one I felt I had more control of my pace, hidration, etc. At some point I thought I wasn't gonna make it - more or less on km 32 - but seeing my parents, my wife and my daughter along the way gave me that extra boost.

The soundtrack worked quite well, aside from the last track of Awake, which is VERY low-paced. ASOH helped a lot, especially Marathon, Turn The Page and Subdivisions. Maiden's Run to the Hills was quite a boost too, and I finished the race with an ominous one-two punch: Hallowed be thy name and AC/DC' Hells Bells.

I have a picture of me on km 35 which I'll post here later on. Once again, thanks for the support, guys!!!

DUDE! YOU RULE!!!

• Like 1

Who is that good looking guy wearing number 3734?

I'm surprised your number isn't 2112! :)