Geddy's Vocals

snowdogged

It would seem that we were all writing Geddy off as far as his vocals go the past few years but he seems to be taking better care of his vocal cords and his voice sounds pretty close to what it did twenty years ago, now. I am very very impressed with what I have heard from this tour!
  • Like 5

I'd watched a bunch of youtube videos and periscope feeds before the portland show on Tuesday, so I knew he sounded decent this tour, but WOW nothing could have prepared me for how good he sounds in person. Last tour, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight were almost painful to listen to, and he popped them out flawlessly in PDX. All of the second set and encore stuff was damn good, too. The only spot where he had a few bad notes were the verses in One Little Victory, but that song is brutal to sing.

I'd watched a bunch of youtube videos and periscope feeds before the portland show on Tuesday, so I knew he sounded decent this tour, but WOW nothing could have prepared me for how good he sounds in person. Last tour, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight were almost painful to listen to, and he popped them out flawlessly in PDX. All of the second set and encore stuff was damn good, too. The only spot where he had a few bad notes were the verses in One Little Victory, but that song is brutal to sing.

Yep. OLV is terrible. Was when I went also. As I said then he had more trouble the first 4 or 5 songs than the rest of the night. As to his voice sounding even close to 20 years ago I don't think so. Just my opinion. Wish it were true though... Edited by Narps

Yup OLV should have been dropped but that was really the only painful song vocally for me. oh i take it back. Anthem and Lakeside Park. YOWZA!!!!!!! but small complaint really.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Have to agree sounded much stronger this tour!

I had warned my friend going with me his vocals were fading, but we were both happily surprised.

• Like 1

Yup OLV should have been dropped but that was really the only painful song vocally for me. oh i take it back. Anthem and Lakeside Park. YOWZA!!!!!!! but small complaint really.

Mick

I think he sounds rather good on those songs, he has come a long way since opening night.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst

He sounds better than the last two tours (much less yodeling) but they're tuning so much stuff down and there are quite a few instrumentals. Not nearly as many cringe inducing moments during this tour, which is great. The vocal coach and diet changes have definitely helped. But to say he sounds better than even 10 years ago is just wrong.
  • Like 3

On the new material live his voice sounds great. On the older stuff he sounded better this tour than he has, but I think he is trying to incorporate his new vocal style on the older songs. Add that with the tuning down of the older sngs it just gives a quirkey sound to it. I still think impo sometimes he is trying too hard to belt ot the vocals which gives his voice a strained or as some would say a yodeling sound. To examples Tom Sayer and The Spirit Of Radio. With that said i am still thrilled he is out there pumpin it out and the music OMG just perfect and if they toured in wheel chairs I would still go.

Mick

Yeah but at least he does hit the notes he's going for this tour which is a definite improvement over the last two. The quality of his voice has really declined though.

Edited by EagleMoon

He is really showing some good strength, and more importanlty - articulation - on this tour .

He's really pulled it together. Which is a beautiful thing to hear. I guess he's found new technique and training.

He had a vocal coach? Where did you read that?

If so, he should have had one for a while now because I think he sounds really good this tour. Better, much better, than the CA tour.

Eddie Trunk talked about Geddy having gotten help from some people for his vocals. He didn't actually come out and say The words "vocal coach" but it's pretty obvious that he has. That and changing his diet which he also mentioned.

• Like 1

He'll never sound as he once did, but he does sound a lot, and I do mean a lot, better than he has the past eight years or so.

SNA Tour. was the last one. I've got a boot from Hershey PA (I was at the show too) and he was spot on. That gig was the 3rd to last show of the second leg.

He seemed different for the TMT tour.... that's when I started to notice.

Edit: For the purpose of timeline reference, the Hershey show was the day after they did Colbert.

Edited by grep

He'll never sound as he once did, but he does sound a lot, and I do mean a lot, better than he has the past eight years or so.

SNA Tour. was the last one. I've got a boot from Hershey PA (I was at the show too) and he was spot on. That gig was the 3rd to last show of the second leg.

That's when he had that really bad sinus/viral infection and had to have his ears drained. It's always possible that could've done some damage to his vocal chords. The infection itself, I mean.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

That's when he had that really bad sinus/viral infection and had to have his ears drained. It's always possible that could've done some damage to his vocal chords. The infection itself, I mean.

Ouch. I didn't know about that. Yeah, I agree --could have done some damage.

• Like 1

Could be a couple of reasons he's improved so much. Diet, proper rest, and focus on his singing. He's admitted he doesn't sing off of tour. I'll bet Ray, or someone close to him told him to watch the CA tour DVD and gave him some honest feedback. I've seen them twice and I'll concur the roughest song has been OLV. Other than that...wow. I could feel his voice OVER the monitors. Added clarity, power--the total package has been on display.

Overall I believe someone put a bug in his ear, or he actually watched the DVD and said "I'm better than that".

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Edit: For the purpose of timeline reference, the Hershey show was the day after they did Colbert.

Agreed. R30 and Snakes Live still had Geddy singing pretty damn well. When I heard Time Machine I couldn't believe how much it had deteriorated. I checked a bunch of youtube boots, and they were all the same. The CA tour was similar to Time Machine.

I'm thrilled for Geddy that he has overcome a lot of the issues that he had on the last 2 tours. He's trying to do the impossible.

You're only immortal for a limited time.

• Like 2

Even when I watched Rio the other day, certain songs he sang so well and I thought he would never be able to do them today. But, not for nothing, CA tour was cringe-worthy on many songs. I hate when I listen and I'm just holding myself in expectation of his voice just breaking apart bad, and that's what happened when I heard Tom Sawyer from the tour.

Whatever he did that improved his voice for this tour, it really is a pity that he didn't do it five years ago.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Whatever he did that improved his voice for this tour, it really is a pity that he didn't do it five years ago.

Better late than never. At least he pushed himself in that department. I'm all about effort here!
  • Like 1

Even when I watched Rio the other day, certain songs he sang so well and I thought he would never be able to do them today. But, not for nothing, CA tour was cringe-worthy on many songs. I hate when I listen and I'm just holding myself in expectation of his voice just breaking apart bad, and that's what happened when I heard Tom Sawyer from the tour.

I actually once had a dream that I was at a Rush concert and during that cringe-worthy "A WHEEL OF FATE A GAME OF CHANCE" Geddy coughed and lost his voice.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst
  • Like 2