Best albums for a new fan?

Polaris

Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Rush! I've known of their hits but never dug deep until recently. Wow, I underestimated these guys! I have the debut, Fly By Night, Moving Pictures, and Signals. Great records! Where do I go from here? Should I pick up some of their later experimental stuff or keep going with the classics for now? I really dig the music of the latter two albums.

The Big 3

A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves

And then 2112

Yes absolutely. These for sure. You can get them in any order really but the way Lucas put it will definitely work.

• Like 1

Because of your picture, i would go for their heaviest: Clockwork Angels and Snakes and Arrows.

The Big 3

And then 2112

This is not a bad idea either

I wouldn't go for anything made after 1985 just yet. Wait till your fandom is cemented before attempting the "lost years". Lucas has it right however but since you have the Debut and FBN I would also at this point grab All The World's A Stage. You will never ever regret it... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Because of your picture, i would go for their heaviest: Clockwork Angels and Snakes and Arrows.

Don't let yourself be fooled, Polaris, these are not their heaviest albums, not even close. They just have that modern "wall of sound" with lots of layers and compression, which some people funnily perceive as heaviness. In fact there are only very few songs on these album that can be considered somewhat heavy as in heavy metal or hard rock heavy. Their heaviest albums would be Caress of Steel, 2112 and Hemispheres, but of course they never really played metal.

Otherwise I agree with Lucas' recommendation. I would also include Caress of Steel.

Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 3

I would recommend Permanent Waves

+1

Polaris, if you liked MP and Signals the best then Permanent Waves would be next. Then I would go Grace Under Pressure which has a dark/heavy feel to it.

DETH!!!

• Like 1

Hemispheres, Waves, and Moving Pictures

I know the title Track on Hemispheres might be a bit much.

but they should here side 2 of that record at least.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and 2112. In that order.
  • Like 1

Since you dig Moving Pictures and Signals a lot, I would listen to Grace Under Pressure and Permanent Waves next; Power Windows would be a good choice as well

The Big 3

And then 2112

I of course agree with this sentiment but I would say there is more of a "Big 4" with 2112 leading the way through Permanent Waves. Throw in that live album who's name escapes me at the moment and you have the "The Big 5 And Best They Have Ever Done"... :) :codger:

Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and 2112. In that order.

I would agree with these 3 1st but I would change the order up a bit. I would go with the chronlogical order

Permenant Waves

Moving Pictures

and I would add

Signals

You may also want to get a compilation album such as Chronicals, Spirit Of Radio or the Retrospect albums (if you can find them any more) These albums all have the more "popular" songs but would be a good guide for a new fan. When you heard a song you really connect with, you can see what album it came from and go from there. But make sure you listen to everything good and thorough as we used to say in the old daze give it a few spins. you will find your favorites will ebb and flow over time. Meaning songs you go meh to 1st will end up being your favorite after time goes by. An example of mine is Countdown which was the bane of Signals to me for many years then one day it hit me just right and for years it has been of my favs.

Enjoy it all my friend it is all a magnificent body of work :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :rush:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

First of all, welcome to TRF!!!

Secondly, I would go for 2112, then A Farewell to Kings, then Permanent Waves.

Then try their first live album, All the Worlds a Stage.

After that, since you like Signals, try Grace Under Pressure.

Then try Hemispheres, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. They are very different albums (Hemispheres was the end of their Prog Rock era work and Hold Your Fire was the end of their Synth era work) but they will show you that the group really changed, and continued to change after Hold Your Fire, their musical styles. If you don't like something, it will be like the weather. Wait and it will change.

If you want to find out more about the group, pick up the DVD movie "Beyond the Lighted Stage". It will give you a good history of the group.

If looking to get a good concert DVD - which I would only do after working through a lot of their music - my advice would be to get "Rush in Rio". Its crude, the quality of the filming and production is not great but wow, what a concert.

I would also stay away from compilations / greatest hits. Dig deep and you will find they have so many gems that greatest hits albums just don't do the group justice.

After Hold Your Fire just keep working forward and eventually go back to try Caress of Steel. Its not one of favs but some love it.

Again, welcome to TRF!!!