Star Trek NG: Darmok

JohnRogers

Season 3 also had Yesterday's Enterprise. One of the best Star Trek episodes, all series included, ever.

That was a great episode, especially how they brought back Denise Crosby.

Season 1 suffered from being compared to the Original Series. Personally, I think it was too similiar in tone to the Original Series. It simply wasn't as good. Season 2, if my memory is correct, suffered from a writer's strike and they had to recycle scripts from the aborted 1970's Star Trek series. Season 3, the growning pains passed and a great television show emerged.

and

Season 3 also had Yesterday's Enterprise. One of the best Star Trek episodes, all series included, ever.

Which is one of the reasons Season One is so great. We see the beginning of the story line. I'm not surprised I'm in the minority about Season One and Two. I really liked The Motion Picture, although the nebula scene was very long.

I think Rerushed is right about the strike (I seem to recall that too). I didn't watch TNG for years specifically because I couldn't get past the comparison to TOS. I was a rare watcher until The Inner Light, then I went back and watched the entire series (a few times). I think they relied on the comparison to draw viewers initially but it was a hard sell (I know it was to me).

:cheers:

• Like 1

Possibly the dumbest episode of the series? I'm really surprised I sat through it.

No way! Let me introduce you to (off the top of my head):

Shades of Grey

Genesis

Aquiel

Cost of Living

Sub Rosa

Masks

80% of TNG season 1

50% of TNG season 2

Much, much worse than "Darmok". That's a classic episode, actually!

DEL_DUIO, HIS ARMS WIDE

JOHNROGERS, ON THE OCEAN

SHAKKA WHEN THE WALLS FELL

TNG Seasons 3-5 were near perfect. Maybe a couple turds but a truckload of gems.

Check out "Cause and Effect"- Groundhog Day in space, but AWESOME.

• Like 1

Oh no, Season One is fantastic! They remade The Naked Time! They killed a major character (Tasha Yar)! The sets, scenery, costumes and sounds all held very closely to the original, but are updated to reflect a few decade difference. Season One was closest to Roddenberry's vision, I think.

Sure you have to deal with Wesley (Weasley) - but he's not so bad really.

And, I liked Dr. Pulaski (after she got off her high horse about Data). I prefer a ship doctor who challenges the captain. Dr. Beverly and Picard had this weird history and he felt all this guilt for sending Wesley's dad Jack, (Picard's best friend) to his death while he had a crush on his wife. I think Crusher was good, but Pulaski was a better doctor.

Inner Light is season six. The episodes had started to become a little hit and miss by this point in the run, imo. Berman/Bragga influence.

Moreso with Season 7. It's actually a pretty mediocre - crappy last year with some very high exceptions (Pegasus, All Good Things, Preemptive Strike).

• Like 1

TNG Seasons 3-5 were near perfect. Maybe a couple turds but a truckload of gems.

Check out "Cause and Effect"- Groundhog Day in space, but AWESOME.

Yeah I agree. The Best of Both Worlds was some of the best Trek ever. Great cliffhanger for season 3-4. I always loved the Q episodes in particular. John DeLancie was always great.

I just ordered a couple of Blu-rays. "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Chain of Command." I like that they're offering the two-part episodes separate from the full seasons.

Are those the remastered ones? I bought season one when they redid it and it looks GREAT.

I just ordered a couple of Blu-rays. "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Chain of Command." I like that they're offering the two-part episodes separate from the full seasons.

Are those the remastered ones? I bought season one when they redid it and it looks GREAT.

Yes, all the Blu-rays -- full seasons or separately-packaged two-part episodes -- are remastered. BBC America shows TNG re-runs all the time and the eps from the first two seasons are from the remasters, and they look great. They'll look even better on Blu-ray.

Yes, all the Blu-rays -- full seasons or separately-packaged two-part episodes -- are remastered. BBC America shows TNG re-runs all the time and the eps from the first two seasons are from the remasters, and they look great. They'll look even better on Blu-ray.

Yeah the ones I have look awesome. Looks like a brand-new show.

I'm not a huge fan, but I've seen quite a few episodes and the dumbest one I can remember is the one where they went to that utopia planet full of blonde dudes in really inappropriate outfits and dumbass Wesley broke the greenhouse.

I'm not a huge fan, but I've seen quite a few episodes and the dumbest one I can remember is the one where they went to that utopia planet full of blonde dudes in really inappropriate outfits and dumbass Wesley broke the greenhouse.

That's one of the dumbest episodes of the entire series. Angel One was the name of it. I think most of us would like to pretend like it never happened.

• Like 1

Yeah, most of Season 1 is like that. Yech. The quality jumps a ton as soon as the crew gets the better, non-spandex uniforms IMO.

• Like 3

Yeah, most of Season 1 is like that. Yech. The quality jumps a ton as soon as the crew gets the better, non-spandex uniforms IMO.

I've never had a problem with those early episodes. That's just the show trying to find its legs. The premise of Angel One was good, it just went totally sideways in the execution. I didn't mind Angel One, though it is certainly not a strong episode. I find its sins to be more forgivable than say Masks (I think the worst episode made - what the hell?!? ... it's season seven and you guys do that?!? Oh, right Berman/Bragga... :eyeroll: )

edit:typing

Edited by CygnusGal

I've never had a problem with those early episodes. That's just the show trying to find its legs. The premise of Angel One was good, it just went totally sideways in the execution. I didn't mind Angel One, though it is certainly not a strong episode. I find its sins to be more forgivable than say Masks (I think the worst episode made - what the hell?!? ... it's season seven and you guys do that?!? Oh, right Berman/Bragga... :eyeroll: )

Masks was one weird episode. I remember when it first aired I was like "what the heck was that?" Kind of strange and creepy.

Masks was one weird episode. I remember when it first aired I was like "what the heck was that?" Kind of strange and creepy.

That episode, like many others, served the purpose of featuring Brent Spiner. At times, the series seemed more like the Data Show rather than Star Trek. Too many "Data in the Holodeck" episodes.

• Like 1

That episode, like many others, served the purpose of featuring Brent Spiner. At times, the series seemed more like the Data Show rather than Star Trek. Too many "Data in the Holodeck" episodes.

I didn't mind that. He was an interesting character.

Yes, he was, but it was too much at times. Some of the other characters suffered a lack of attention because of it. LaVar Burton as Geordi, in particular.

Yes, he was, but it was too much at times. Some of the other characters suffered a lack of attention because of it. LaVar Burton as Geordi, in particular.

He got his "falling in love with a computer program" episodes. :)

• Like 1

I wish the whole show was about Worf.

Weird Klingon love? :unsure:

I'm all for it!!

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2014/08/12/041/n/1922507/f923e302c7d689c9_worf.xxxlarge.gif

• Like 1

I'm all for it!!

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2014/08/12/041/n/1922507/f923e302c7d689c9_worf.xxxlarge.gif

Hasn't Michael Dorn been working on trying to get a Worf series going. I thought I remembered reading that a while back.

I'm all for it!!

Hasn't Michael Dorn been working on trying to get a Worf series going. I thought I remembered reading that a while back.

Yeah he is still working on a Captain Worf show. I find my self skipping a lot of Data-centirc episodes.