Guitars are the prettiest rock/pop music instrument...

toymaker

Which instrument would you marry?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most attractive instrument?

• Guitars
    • Basses
    • Drums
    • Other

Guitars are nicer to look at than basses, drums, or keyed instruments.

Sure, drums are interesting to look at, and some basses have a certain appeal, but nothing beats the classic look of a fine-lookin' geetar.

Depends on the instrument.

Well that complicates things. Okay, think of your favorite bass, your favorite guitar, and your favorite drum layout. Which of these could you just stare at all moony-eyed after you've had a few glasses of wine?

Depends on the instrument.

Well that complicates things. Okay, think of your favorite bass, your favorite guitar, and your favorite drum layout. Which of these could you just stare at all moony-eyed after you've had a few glasses of wine?

I think my current bass is prettier than any guitar I have or had, and that includes PRS.

Partly I'm curious because whenever I'm sitting on the couch in my living room, no matter what I'm doing, my eyes tend to get drawn to the old Kay archtop I have hanging on the wall. It's the third one on the first row of this picture:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w47/msspielm1/IMG_0361_zpsomcoajpz.jpg

• Like 1

Partly I'm curious because whenever I'm sitting on the couch in my living room, no matter what I'm doing, my eyes tend to get drawn to the old Kay archtop I have hanging on the wall. It's the third one on the first row of this picture:

All very nice looking instruments. Looks like you like sunburst. :)

• Like 1

Here's my Sadowsky Will Lee bass.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/Sad/SadowWLPKrsize_zpsd6b47be4.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my Sadowsky Will Lee bass.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/Sad/SadowWLPKrsize_zpsd6b47be4.jpg

Love that neck. That tapered look is really cool.

• Like 1

Thanks - none of those instruments is very expensive, but I like 'em. That bass of yours is pretty nice on the eyes too. That dark wood - very fine! I bet it has that quality of depth when you stare at it . . .

I like a fine finished wood. I like to take the pickguards off a lot of my git-boxes, like the Joe Pass and the Kay. It's a shame to hide that beauty under a hunk of plastic.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Thanks - none of those instruments is very expensive, but I like 'em. That bass of yours is pretty nice on the eyes too. That dark wood - very fine! I bet it has that quality of depth when you stare at it . . .

I like a fine finished wood. I like to take the pickguards off a lot of my git-boxes, like the Joe Pass and the Kay. It's a shame to hide that beauty under a hunk of plastic.

I've never cared for pickguards either, especially if the top has any kind of figuring.

Here's a few guitars I've had/have. PRS first...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/IMG_0402_zpsa3fe9d15.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/IMG_0687_zpsl3s18p08.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/P22frontshotone_zpsd8afc0b7.jpg

Fender...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/Strat%20Whole%20Front%20Fence%20III_zpsjp642gok.jpg

I have this one for sale right now because I just don't play it.

And Gibson

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/IMG_1389_zpsr6ggid7w.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/guitars/IMG_5303_zpsy9sjijt1.jpg

• Like 4

Those are beauts. Definitely some interesting color choices!

Thanks! The top PRS I sold to Howard Leese of Heart fame.

Cool - he was their original guitarist (or one of them), right?

Right. I know he was touring with Bad Company a while back.

So how does that happen? Did you advertise it online or something, and frickin' Howard Leese gives you a ring? Or do you have some rock connections as a musician? Do you have some rock history?

So how does that happen? Did you advertise it online or something, and frickin' Howard Leese gives you a ring? Or do you have some rock connections as a musician? Do you have some rock history?

I advertised it over on the Vintage Rocker forum where he has a section since he is a PRS artist.

• Like 1

Never heard of that one. Is that how you tend to buy/sell instruments? Better chance of finding something unique?

Never heard of that one. Is that how you tend to buy/sell instruments? Better chance of finding something unique?

Depends on what it is. Iv'e sold a lot of basses over on the Talkbass forum. Several guitars on The Gear Page and Vintage Rocker. Then there's always Ebay and Craigslist. The key is finding the right place for the buyer that wants the particular instrument you're selling, obviously. Vintage Rocker is mainly PRS though they do have other sections for other brands there.

My problem is I buy 'em but I can't bear to part with 'em. Not that many of them are worth anything anyway. I don't have a huge budget for instruments. The most I spent was for my Takamine acoustic and my Nashville Tele, but it's Mexican. I have a bunch of Epiphone stuff. I don't really trust buying stuff online.

If I actually played more, maybe I could justify some more purchases. But a new concrete driveway is going to put the kibosh on instruments for a while. I'm rambling! It's late, and it's time to turn in. If you're piggybacking on the Vegas show tomorrow night, I'll catch you then!

• Like 1

My problem is I buy 'em but I can't bear to part with 'em. Not that many of them are worth anything anyway. I don't have a huge budget for instruments. The most I spent was for my Takamine acoustic and my Nashville Tele, but it's Mexican. I have a bunch of Epiphone stuff. I don't really trust buying stuff online.

If I actually played more, maybe I could justify some more purchases. But a new concrete driveway is going to put the kibosh on instruments for a while. I'm rambling! It's late, and it's time to turn in. If you're piggybacking on the Vegas show tomorrow night, I'll catch you then!

I don't have much trouble selling an instrument if there's something that doesn't fit me or that I don't like about it and I can't change easily. Something like neck width or weight or how it hangs on the strap while standing. I've had upwards of 30+ basses over the past 40 years or so and enjoyed most of them but my favorite by far has been this last Sadowsky. It's just my perfect bass.

• Like 1

I don't have much trouble selling an instrument if there's something that doesn't fit me or that I don't like about it and I can't change easily. Something like neck width or weight or how it hangs on the strap while standing. I've had upwards of 30+ basses over the past 40 years or so and enjoyed most of them but my favorite by far has been this last Sadowsky. It's just my perfect bass.

If you don't mind my asking - these basses seem to be in the range of 4 grand or so? Is that about right? I do play professionally, as in I'm in a band that gets regular gigs, but we're just a bar band playing once or twice a month, and I don't normally crack more than 80 or 100 bucks after a gig, when everything gets sorted. Money of course, is not the only consideration - there's the pleasure of just playing the instrument, or course - but since I think I plateau'd years ago, I'm just not sure. Do you reckon the Sadowsky has helped you to achieve something greater?

My BC Rich Eagle - circa 1979 or 1980 ... BC Rich serial numbers are a challenge to figure out .... Be that as it may, I have had this baby since 1981 .....

http://s26.postimg.org/ksjyigp2x/BC_Rich_01.jpg

• Like 3

If you don't mind my asking - these basses seem to be in the range of 4 grand or so? Is that about right? I do play professionally, as in I'm in a band that gets regular gigs, but we're just a bar band playing once or twice a month, and I don't normally crack more than 80 or 100 bucks after a gig, when everything gets sorted. Money of course, is not the only consideration - there's the pleasure of just playing the instrument, or course - but since I think I plateau'd years ago, I'm just not sure. Do you reckon the Sadowsky has helped you to achieve something greater?

Not sure what you mean exactly. Are you asking if it helped me play better, make more money at gigs or just get more enjoyment out of the instrument? I guess I'd have to say yes to all of those things.