The Body Electric

Lock And Key

I understand it isn't for everyone but it is the album that got me hooked on Rush and I learned to love the older tunes because of GUP. Love the bass line and when I listen to it, I get the chorus stuck in my head for hours. :D
  • Like 3

I understand it isn't for everyone but it is the album that got me hooked on Rush and I learned to love the older tunes because of GUP. Love the bass line and when I listen to it, I get the chorus stuck in my head for hours. :D

Agreed. I am trying to recall what I said about it in the thread a couple days ago... I dig it. Always have, I think it was... :D
  • Like 1

...and Alex's solo on this one is fantastic!

Yeah, I love the tune. Great song from a really strong album. In my opinion.

• Like 3

...and Alex's solo on this one is fantastic!

Yeah, I love the tune. Great song from a really strong album. In my opinion.

I agree. It's different and cool.

• Like 2

Won't pass up an opportunity to say how much I love this song. Great piece of songwriting and one of the best examples of their work succeeding as strongly lyrically as it does musically. Killer vocal performance from Ged, very emotional. This one just gets me right in the gut, ya know?
  • Like 4

Alex really went for a different approach and sound on his solos on GUP and the Body Electric is one fine example.GUP as an album sealed the deal for me with Rush.I already had four or five of their previous releases but i remember putting this on the turntable for the first time and thinking this the link between heavy metal and Ultravox or U2.Must admit TBE is not my fave on GUP ,the chorus seems a bit throway now,bit like Nuerotica,but that eerie verse is great.

n GUP and

If you think my description of GUP in the last post was weird ,Rolling Stone said that upon release of Power Windows that it was'the missing link between Sex Pistols and Yes'.

We just had a thread about this song recently.

Define recently? I think it was just yesterday or it seemed so anyway... :LOL:

Within the last week or so? Is that better? :)

• Like 2

The chorus is an even clearer example of how awesome the lyrics are. You do know that "1001001" means "I" in binary code, right? It's not random at all.

I found that out the hard way. Don't you remember the trouble I got into when I started the thread in Random asking 73 why he didn't change his number to a name? :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Won't make that mistake twice. :cool: :whip: :smash: :bitchslap: :fuckwithadmin: :bang bang: :fuckinputer: :ph34r:

• Like 2

We just had a thread about this song recently.

Define recently? I think it was just yesterday or it seemed so anyway... :LOL:

Within the last week or so? Is that better? :)

Awesome... :cheers:
  • Like 2

I wonder if Peart was thinking about emulating something mechancial with that drum intro, like factory robotics or something. There's something persistent and vaguely martial about it, too. Android-martial?

I wonder if Peart was thinking about emulating something mechancial with that drum intro, like factory robotics or something. There's something persistent and vaguely martial about it, too. Android-martial?

Yeah I think that was the idea. It reminds me of a lumbering metallic robot.

• Like 1

Can either one or both of you think of another Rush song he did the same?

What do you mean by the same?

I'm sure that there are "sound effects" types of things done in a few songs, or styles of playing that are meant to evoke things - there's kind of a martial snare thing played at the start of Heresy, for example. I can't really think of anything else at the moment.

What do you mean by the same?

When he hits the drum like that. It's really pretty much throughout the song.

Maybe the way the song was recorded has a lot to do with the sound too. It is so crisp and sharp.

"He replays each of the days a hundred years of routines...bows his head and prays to the mother of all machines". How is that bad!?!?!?!?!

That is a great moment on the song... Body Electric, I think, is one of several RUSH songs that represent a terrible idea (in this case, a song about a fugitive robot) that somehow resulted in an enjoyable listening experience. Great vocals, inventive drumming, and interesting guitar work.

Mystic Rhythm.
  • Like 1