• Prime Mover
    • Lock and Key
    • Mission
    • Turn the Page
    • Tai Shan
    • High Water

Second Nature for me. Beautiful Song.

Mick

^^^^ This. Beat me to it. Back when I was really ignorant regarding this album I used to think that Mission was the only "beautiful" song on the album. Boy was I wrong...
  • Like 1

Mick

^^^^ This. Beat me to it. Back when I was really ignorant regarding this album I used to think that Mission was the only "beautiful" song on the album. Boy was I wrong...

...No, you were right. :P

To me, and I've said this before, "Second Nature" is possibly the most un-Rush song they've ever done. It's Adult Contemporary soft rock, and if Celine Dion were singing it, it would not sound out of place. "Second Nature" along with "Tai Shan" were where Rush bottomed out for me, and they were no longer the Rush I grew up with.

My choice is "Open Secrets." Up-tempo, good vocal melodies and bass lines, and one of Alex's very best solos.

• Like 3

Mick

To me, and I've said this before, "Second Nature" is possibly the most un-Rush song they've ever done. It's Adult Contemporary soft rock, and if Celine Dion were singing it, it would not sound out of place. "Second Nature" along with "Tai Shan" were where Rush bottomed out for me, and they were no longer the Rush I grew up with.

My choice is "Open Secrets." Up-tempo, good vocal melodies and bass lines, and one of Alex's very best solos.

Love that one too. Either one. I almost said Open Secrets. Agreed on Tai Shan of course but I had already abandoned ship at Power Windows...

I can't answer the question, as I've never underrated any songs from Hold Your Fire.

But in the court of public opinion, I could name about seven or eight of them to the jury for consideration. ;)

• Like 3

Mick

:clap:

seems like once or twice a week there's posts about Hold Your Nose. Seems many people are defensive about this boring mall music album.

• Like 1

High Water for sure. Sure, it isn't their best song, but it doesn't doesn't deserve all the hate. Unlike Tai Shan, which is the only RUSH song worse than modern-pop or the such. I was so happy to learn that Ged and Alex agree with me about Tai Shan.

Honorable mention: Open Secrets (also criminally underrated)

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

Mick

Completely agree.

High Water. In fact, the guitar really picks up on this song to the point I wonder why "hard rockin'" Rush fans don't like it.
  • Like 2

High Water. In fact, the guitar really picks up on this song to the point I wonder why "hard rockin'" Rush fans don't like it.

Seriously. Its a cool cut. Probably marred by the inclusion of Tai Shan and it causes people to dismiss it based on that.

• Like 1

Really, the only thing I can say that I don't like is that "Tai Shan" seem to be in awkward places on the album. "Turn the Page" would have been such a great closing tune. But I also don't know where else Tai Shan and High Water would be placed in the sequence.

I went with Mission. Most people underestimate how somnolently Fogelbergian this song really is.

But Tai Shan would be the most underrated in the traditional sense. Most people have it at the bottom of their list of all Rush songs when Half the World is clearly the biggest POS they ever put out.

• Like 1

I went with Mission. Most people underestimate how somnolently Fogelbergian this song really is.

But Tai Shan would be the most underrated in the traditional sense. Most people have it at the bottom of their list of all Rush songs when Half the World is clearly the biggest POS they ever put out.

can I like this post multiple times??

• Like 1

can I like this post multiple times??

You can, actually. Just keep clicking the like button. Just make sure you do it an odd number of times.