So Alex played the stupidly expensive PRS tonight...

CygnusX-1Bk2

He played it for one song mounted on a stand and it didn't sound too bad. Still isn't worth $15k. The other mounted acoustic was a 12 string Martin. Aside from these and 2 Fenders he played a parade of Les Pauls and ES models plus the doubleneck. Geddy played a parade of Fenders, a couple Gibsons and a couple European rarities (touched on in his video on Rush.com).

Gear fest tour. Real and not quite so real. :)

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I would guess that it's the acoustic electric that they're talking about. The newest PRS signature model. Considering the prices on some of their other guitars it doesn't seem too far out of the ballpark.

Yeah it was the PRS acoustic. I would say what song but there are 4 shows left. My biggest bone of contention, aside from the stupid price, was that he wasn't known for playing one. At the very least he played it on one song. And not a song that is featured in every set, essentially one third of the tour got this song and hence this guitar. He did play the crimson 7A+ top signature Gibson twice (or two of them but it looked like the same flame both times) as well as the black version a couple times. Those were the only two that made repeat appearances. Everything else were different guitars. Geddy only used his main bass on two songs and the blue one with the CA graphics was also used twice with different pieces for everything else.

Yeah it was the PRS acoustic. I would say what song but there are 4 shows left. My biggest bone of contention, aside from the stupid price, was that he wasn't known for playing one. At the very least he played it on one song. And not a song that is featured in every set, essentially one third of the tour got this song and hence this guitar. He did play the crimson 7A+ top signature Gibson twice (or two of them but it looked like the same flame both times) as well as the black version a couple times. Those were the only two that made repeat appearances. Everything else were different guitars. Geddy only used his main bass on two songs and the blue one with the CA graphics was also used twice with different pieces for everything else.

Well considering they designed it for him with touring in mind, obviously he wouldn't be known for playing it. As far as Geddy's basses, I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. What makes the difference what they use live? It has nothing to do with what was used on the albums.

• Like 1

Well considering they designed it for him with touring in mind, obviously he wouldn't be known for playing it. As far as Geddy's basses, I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. What makes the difference what they use live? It has nothing to do with what was used on the albums.

He's got that ferocious tone regardless which bass he uses

He's got that ferocious tone regardless which bass he uses

Well exactly, because tone is 99% in the fingers. :)

• Like 1

Well considering they designed it for him with touring in mind, obviously he wouldn't be known for playing it.

This, the crux of my initial point of the other thread, was apparently lost on you at that time. How can one have a signature model when one is not known for having played it? Chicken or the egg. His 355, while made for him in 1976, was not a signature model until they made a bunch for public consumption a few years ago but he was known for playing that guitar from AFTK to MP. The Axcess was developed over the course of the S&A tours. He had become known for playing modified Les Pauls with Floyds and Fishmanns installed.

As far as Geddy's basses, I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. What makes the difference what they use live?

This tour is different for them in this respect and thus what they are playing live on this tour is pecident setting. Sure Alex has used a lot of guitars in shows previously but not like this. Geddy had stuck to his main black J since bringing it back and used it for the majority duration of the core show while using others for detuned songs and backups or one off's like Main Monkey Business where he used the Jaco and when he brought out the Ric for Passage To Bangkok. On the CA tour he started using more variety of J's but still using the main black. This tour is off the charts for gear use. In Geddy's video on Rush.com talking about the vintage pieces he mentions that he uses the main black J for 4 songs in the current tour. That was the case when I saw them in Houston but not so last night in San Jose. The black one was only out twice as was the blue one with the CA graphic. Conversely on a song in Houston Alex played a really pretty ES Les Paul with a beautiful flame whereas last night on this very same song he played a very pretty 335 that had a new vintage look to it. I will say this was an early Hentor song which made the use even more unusual.

That's the difference.

• Like 1

Well considering they designed it for him with touring in mind, obviously he wouldn't be known for playing it.

This, the crux of my initial point of the other thread, was apparently lost on you at that time. How can one have a signature model when one is not known for having played it? Chicken or the egg.

Nope. To be a signature model, all they have to do is put his name on it. And the fact that he gave them suggestions about what he wanted, and is using it on this tour, makes him known for using it. You just like to argue.

• Like 1

I am just astounded of the pieces the whole band are using this tour. The vintage bassess alone reaches into the hundreds of thousands. Last night the different tonalities of each instrument was also quite interesting. The differences between the Thunderbirds, subtle differences to the multitude of J's and Les Pauls. The 12 strings had a distinctive brightness. The sound was the best I've heard them in quite a while so that definitely helped. SJ is a good sounding room.

I'm still in shock. What an epic concert!

Regarding gear, I was 5th row Alex's side, I was salivating. Beautiful instruments to gawk at at close range. The paisley Telecaster was an interesting anomaly.

Edited by Perchance to Dream

This, the crux of my initial point of the other thread, was apparently lost on you at that time. How can one have a signature model when one is not known for having played it? Chicken or the egg.

Nope. To be a signature model, all they have to do is put his name on it. And the fact that he gave them suggestions about what he wanted, and is using it on this tour, makes him known for using it. You just like to argue.

You are the one arguing again. Not me. I am making the same point as before. You have flip-flopped. And again with the above comment. Can't have it both ways.

Regarding gear, I was 5th row Alex's side, I was salivating. Beautiful instruments to gawk at close range. The paisley Telecaster was an interesting anomaly.

I thought we'd see each other.

Those are a matching set of paisley Telecasers. That's a T Bass.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Regarding gear, I was 5th row Alex's side, I was salivating. Beautiful instruments to gawk at close range. The paisley Telecaster was an interesting anomaly.

Yeah, Suzanne and I looked for you, but it obviously didn't happen. Where was your seat?

Sorry for the hijack! :LOL:

Those are a matching set of paisley Telecasers. That's a T Bass.

Indeed. I noticed that, too. By that point I was holding my jaw in hand to keep it from scraping the floor. Unbelievable set!

• Like 1

Not at all! The point I was trying to make (before being hijacked by another) was the elaborate display of gear being showcased on this tour. It's ridiculous how much gear they are carrying around for this tour. It's more testament that this is it so they are going out with a bang. But even Neil's kits with real tubular bells and the "amps" it is all just an onslaught of really nice gear, real and not so real. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

You are the one arguing again. Not me. I am making the same point as before. You have flip-flopped. And again with the above comment. Can't have it both ways.

I'm not arguing at all. I just said that Alex hadn't played the guitar before because they made it for him for this tour. It's still a signature model since his name is on it.

It's difficult to dicuss due to spoiler issues. I was focused like a laser beam on Alex's fiddles.

He and Geddy changed guitars on practically every song! I have never seen them do that before. If this is indeed the end, I am a happy camper. What a display of technical prowess!

You just like to argue.

Sorry Dude...she's got you. I've read your posts for years. You enjoy being right...like the rest of us.
  • Like 1

I understand both sides of the "argument" here.

Not known for using a particular instrument for any length of time is a valid point.

It's a signature model because his name is on it is also a valid point.

Whatever...

Can we get back on topic please?

I did like the 12 string Martin. It's a Martin!
  • Like 1

And yes, the $15K price for the PRS is ridiculous.

You could just get the $800 one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Alex-Lifeson-Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-111022752-i4162020.gc

Thanks for the link! I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar and that guitar just might be the ticket! Due to the climate in my area (hot temperatures and very low humidity) the bridge on my acoustic has begun to separate itself from the top.

I've asked around regarding repairing it. The most creative answer I received was that I should fill it with cotton balls, splash in some gasoline and give it a proper Viking funeral. :LOL: