What pays for this site?

That One Guy

I see the 'sponsored posts', but for the past while they've been showing nothing for me. Maybe Chrome blocks them?

A singular generous Rush fan?

You probably have Adblock Plus?

And the sponsors don't pay off the server cost I don't think, I think I've read that at the end of the day the admins still have to often pay out of pocket for this website.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Didn't you read the terms and conditions upon registering? Once you've made your 2112th post, your soul is uploaded onto the internet, and is used to power the forum.

Looks like you'll find out soon ;)

• Like 11

Didn't you read the terms and conditions upon registering? Once you've made your 2112th post, your soul is uploaded onto the internet, and is used to power the forum.

Looks like you'll find out soon ;)

:LOL:

I see the 'sponsored posts', but for the past while they've been showing nothing for me. Maybe Chrome blocks them?

When you earn Solar Federalist you get billed $19.95 a month there after, so slow down with the psoting pal.

• Like 1

When you earn Solar Federalist you get billed $19.95 a month there after, so slow down with the psoting pal.

Yeah. The less psots, the better. :)

• Like 2

I keep nabbing that #1 spot, solely to reach 2112! The goal was by Sunday night, but I think today is possible. :)

• Like 1

The Google ads used to help pay for things, but Google didn't like our That's It girlie threads and they removed their ad banners. Those threads have been removed so at some point we'll probably be able to reinstate the ads, but for now, we admins pay for this.

The Google ads used to help pay for things, but Google didn't like our That's It girlie threads and they removed their ad banners. Those threads have been removed so at some point we'll probably be able to reinstate the ads, but for now, we admins pay for this.

Yes, and that's why (and I'm not trying to be a toadie) when there have been some here who have treated anyone in "administration" disrespectfully, it is upsetting to me, and I'm sure to others.

In the almost three years I've been here, neither you nor anyone has ever asked any one of us for a dime to help run this place. Even when you did your big overhaul here before the R40 tour began, you never asked for money, and that must have cost a lot.

For that and other things, I thank you and you have my gratitude. TRF has helped save my sanity more times than you will ever know. And it has provided me with a lot of happiness and laughter.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 7

Yes, and that's why (and I'm not trying to be a toadie) when there have been some here who have treated anyone in "administration" disrespectfully, it is upsetting to me, and I'm sure to others.

In the almost three years I've been here, neither you nor anyone has ever asked any one of us for a dime to help run this place. Even when you did your big overhaul here before the R40 tour began, you never asked for money, and that must have cost a lot.

In the long run, the server move we did before the tour has saved us money. Hosting has gotten more reasonably priced in recent years, and we were being overcharged by our previous service -- we were paying twice as much as we are now, for half the speed we have now.

For that and other things, I thank you and you have my gratitude. TRF has helped save my sanity more times than you will ever know. And it has provided me with a lot of happiness and laughter.

Hearing stuff like that never gets old.

• Like 7

I keep nabbing that #1 spot, solely to reach 2112! The goal was by Sunday night, but I think today is possible. :)

Let us know when you make it and we'll teach you the secret handshake.

Is there a way we can send in a little donation? It's the least I can do for everything you've given us. And thank you very much for that, btw.

• Like 3

Is there a way we can send in a little donation? It's the least I can do for everything you've given us. And thank you very much for that, btw.

I'll throw in five bucks

• Like 1

Some of the forum ladies offer themselves up on a Friday Night for the street punters and donate the proceeds to 73. He's been driving a pink fur-lined Cadillac since 2004.

:LOL: :lol: :LOL:

We've always been hesitant to provide a "Donate" button. It's hard to explain why we feel that way, but it just seems, I don't know...not right.

In the long run, the server move we did before the tour has saved us money. Hosting has gotten more reasonably priced in recent years, and we were being overcharged by our previous service -- we were paying twice as much as we are now, for half the speed we have now.

Hearing stuff like that never gets old.

I often like to clown around but I'd like to get serious for a moment. This is probably something you have considered but if not, what aboot a PayPal link with a friendly message "if you'd like to donate yadda-yadda"? I often donate to web forums that tolerate me. :)

Edit: whoops just read post #23.

Edited by JohnRogers

Some of the forum ladies offer themselves up on a Friday Night for the street punters and donate the proceeds to 73. He's been driving a pink fur-lined Cadillac since 2004.

I've seen him over at my neighbors. That's quite the car!! :cool: I know it must be him on account of the three bobble heads in the rear window. Every time he leaves, Alex, Geddy and Neil bob their goodbyes to me.

• Like 2

We've always been hesitant to provide a "Donate" button. It's hard to explain why we feel that way, but it just seems, I don't know...not right.

I've never done anything remotely like this, but there must be quite a lot of satisfaction in running something that is so successful (occasional crankiness and poor taste of some folks notwithstanding). Kind of like knowing you've hosted a really great party where people really enjoyed themselves . . . but X 1,000. Money can't buy that. Having said that, if there were a "donate" button, I wouldn't feel right about not using it after all the time I've spent here.

• Like 2