Any younger/newer Rush fans feel "late to the party?"

MeanMeanPride

I'm 26 years old, raised in a "Rush" household, Rush was my first concert, etc, etc. Like many of you I have experienced some sadness about the supposed end of Rush's large-scale touring. But for me it is a little bit different. It is hard to get over the fact that I missed the golden age, the "peak." (Not by my own doing, mind you...I wasn't around). The R40 tour feels to me like a premature end, simply because of my age.

I overheard some older Rush fans (complete with matching Hemispheres tour shirts) at the Austin show talking about how nostalgic this all was for them. I remember thinking how for me, this is a very new experience, unlike the older fans. Don't get me wrong - the boys are still rocking and are unbelievable musicians, and it is a true privilege to have had the opportunity to see them as many times as I have. But I'm still a little bummed out that I don't "own" this band the way 70's and 80's fans do.

I often catch myself wondering..."What will I do when Rush stops making music?" What "newer" group or artist will be the band that I get into, play for my kids, and follow around for 40 years? I think the answer is: there won't be one. Rush is such a singular experience, which is why they are so special and worthy of our attention. And that kind of makes me sad too.

Anyway, here we go. Young/New Rush Thread.

Excellent post. Lots of Rush fans in your age group seem completely clueless how us old-timers might feel.

• Like 1

no. I was born in 95, there was nothin I could do and no reason to be sad. (our memories remind us :dweez: )

I got to see 4 shows I thought were killer, and if they do a residency in ATL ( :laughing guy: ) maybe I'll see them again.

• Like 2

There's not a day that goes by where I secretly wish I wasn't a Rush fan so I won't have to deal with the pain of losing them.

There's not a day that goes by where I secretly wish I wasn't a Rush fan so I won't have to deal with the pain of losing them.

deeeeeeeep

Err, shallow actually.

Then what's the point in teaching the younger generation?

Let them have Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj and be happy with it, It's not worth trying to keep rock n' roll alive. There will never be another Rush or another Van Halen or another Led Zep. I'll just let rap and hip hop pull the plug to the life support system keeping rock "alive".

If your dad really loved you he'd have pulled out and wiped you on the curtains. That way you'd gave been saved from this truly awful predicament you find yourself in.

deeeeeeeep

Err, shallow actually.

:LOL: hence the sarcasm

• Like 1

Then what's the point in teaching the younger generation?

Let them have Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj and be happy with it, It's not worth trying to keep rock n' roll alive. There will never be another Rush or another Van Halen or another Led Zep. I'll just let rap and hip hop pull the plug to the life support system keeping rock "alive".

That's the exact point, show them there are great bands instead of the poor imitations of today! There are some groups who will carry on and rock n' roll is not dead. I am sad they won't be touring but I'm not going to put my head in the oven. Like Geddy said in the VH 1 special earlier this year, life is meant to lived and I live it to the fullest every day, I feel the clock ticking and I am taking advantage of my opportunities (my paraphrase). I choose to look at how lucky we were to see them whenever we did. That was a gift and it will continue to give us rewards each time we listen to their music. That's my 2 cents ;)

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

I thought I was late to the party back in 1992. As a 15 year old.

I remember thinking during the summer before Counterparts came out that "well, these guys have been around awhile and had albums going back to 1974.... they probably won't last much longer. I hope they make at least one more album."

It's never over until they say it's over. Until then, milk it. I never thought back then that I'd end up seeing them five times, especially when I eventually missed that tour due to a conflicting family vacation, and then the band had their long break soon after. Hence the 15 year gap between shows for me.

For a very long time, I thought seeing Rush was a one and done deal, but I was okay with that. Everything since then has been house money.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 2

I've heard people say that they won't get a pet because they can't stand the pain of losing them. To me that's nuts. You would give up years and years of love and affection for a short time of pain at the end of their lives?
  • Like 6

I've heard people say that they won't get a pet because they can't stand the pain of losing them. To me that's nuts. You would give up years and years of love and affection for a short time of pain at the end of their lives?

"Short time of pain" Honestly, have you ever gone through any kind of loss?

MyGV2.gif

• Like 2

I can't speak for Eagle Moon but I would bet she has dealt with loss. Everyone goes through it, it is how we deal with loss that can make it bearable. No one likes to be in pain but you are not unique in your experience of it. I think the example of owning a pet is a good one, we can try avoid pain but unless you take a chance of experiencing pain you won't appreciate joy when you have it as well.

• Like 7

That's an ignorant question if I've ever heard one.

• Like 5

I really appreciate all the responses, and reading them has really been great for me. Truthfully, I am lucky to have seen this band ONCE, let alone three (soon to be four) times.

I think what I will miss most about this band is that feeling you get when they come out for the first song. It's a special feeling seeing those boys on stage as your brain begins to process that they are the creative minds behind this music that has affected you so much. It's a feeling of mutual respect (I think of "The Garden" here...). Tomorrow's Vegas show may be the last time I ever see them, and that's alright. Time for me to pay my respects and rock out.

Edited by MeanMeanPride
  • Like 4

I really appreciate all the responses, and reading them has really been great for me. Truthfully, I am lucky to have seen this band ONCE, let alone three (soon to be four) times.

I think what I will miss most about this band is that feeling you get when they come out for the first song. It's a special feeling seeing those boys on stage as your brain begins to process that they are the creative minds behind this music that has affected you so much. It's a feeling of mutual respect (I think of "The Garden" here...). Tomorrow's Vegas show may be the last time I ever see them, and that's alright. Time for me to pay my respects and rock out.

Abso-f***in-lutely, that's exactly how I feel coming into a show. These are the minds that have created something truly beautiful. It's amazing that I've ever seen them with my very eyes

• Like 1

I first discovered Rush near the end of 8th grade just before I was to turn 14 (I'm 21 now) and a few months afterwards, truly became a fan. Do I feel like I'm "late to the party"? Well, no because I can't do anything about my age but when I decided to skip out on the 2nd leg of the S&A Tour (I thought it was just too soon for me before seeing them live and tickets for the show I thought of going to sold out IIRC) the thought of that being the only time I could've seen them due to them being in their late 50s at the time and what looked like the tail end of their career did cross my mind and it did make me feel sad for awhile. But long behold the Time Machine Tour in 2010 and I immediately jumped on the chance of seeing them live. To see them live the first time was definitely a highlight in my life, but to see them three more times afterwards is just a gift honestly.

Naturally of course, there is a feeling of sadness knowing that Rush will no longer be an active band but even if its something you really love, it has to end at some point. I always have to remind myself that it's better to have discovered the band (and any other band whom I enjoy) when I did than to have never discovered them at all. Now since I became a Rush fan, there's been some other bands both new and older whom I discovered and love just as much that I'll never see live due to them disbanding before I discovered them or being past their prime that it ain't worth it to see them live. If the NYC show is the last time I'll ever see them, I am absolutely content with that. That was probably the most memorable Rush show I've seen aside from the first one I saw and I rocked the f**k out in my seat like it was the last time I'll ever see them.

• Like 1

I didn't start digging into their work until recently! I knew some of their songs via the radio, those hit songs that everyone knows. Yeah, it makes me feel dumb for not having gotten into them earlier!

I didn't start digging into their work until recently! I knew some of their songs via the radio, those hit songs that everyone knows. Yeah, it makes me feel dumb for not having gotten into them earlier!

Hi, my real name is "Eradication of Earth's Population", and I love you, Polaris! (Nice to see a fellow Megadeth fan on here.)

Edited by Blue Barchetta